Jim McElwain sucks and we told you so, na nana na boo boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we hired him and started paying millions of dollars two and a half years ago because he already "got it".
Do you realize that this guy finished fourth in the Mountain West?

He has already been to the top of the mountain.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
When and if a coach finally "gets it," fans will not need to be told to "buy in." That part will take care of itself.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Actually, I'll argue with most of it. If you or especially the Noles themselves, think their program is on auto pilot, with 3 ACC losses and 2 or 3 other near miss losses that they barely survived last season, then you just made my weekend. They are the most consistently overrated team year in year out. Jimbo is the master of doing less with more and lack of UF talent across the field that isn't able to match up with their elite players all over the field (as you put it) isn't why we've lost to them the past 2 years. A better coaching staff on the UF sideline wins at least one of the last 2 games, maybe both of them. A better UF staff with a decent QB wins both of the last 2 games and likely puts an azz whipping on them in at least one of those games. With the exception of a few positions like QB and O-line, we had enough talent to match up with them and win those games. At most positions on the D side of the ball we were better than them. Our problem has been a putrid offense and a staff that couldn't figure out how to fix that or work around it for a game. Hell, Muschamp went in to Tally with Jeff Driskel (no Joe Montana) and thumped them in 2012 and would have beat them again in 2014 with Freon at QB (definitely no Tom Brady), completing all of 12 passes for 165 yards, if our DB breaks right with the pick instead of cutting back to the middle. This was against their all world team heralded by Famous Anus Winston and a dozen or so other 5 star players that were on their 2 deep roster.

We shouldn't have to have an expectation that getting back to a competitive level against the Noles will be gradual and take time, nor do we need to believe that we need to have several years of top 5 recruiting classes to get close to their level of play. The only questions we should have are do we have a QB on the roster that can, at a minimum, be competent in running the offense and do Mac & Co. have the coaching chops create and execute a game plan that will deliver us a victory.

People on here act like if other programs don't win a national championship every year they're program has problems. Regarding FSU, they knew last year was going to be an off year, breaking in a freshman QB. They have recruited as well as any program in the country besides Alabama & Ohio State. Jimbo may not be the best coach in the country, but he's in the top 5-10 and that's without question. Regardless if he does less with more or whatever. I'll take an solid coach, which he is, who is a great recruiter....because eventually it all comes together - like it did for them in 2013 - plus in that same year he replaced 6 coaches...SIX! There's only 9 on a staff. And you act like losing games in the ACC is a bad thing. While you were asleep the ACC has become a better top to bottom conference than the SEC, with much better coaches. Every team brings their A-game when they play an FSU, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, etc (we used to be on that list). If you forgot, we got blown out by Arkansas....a 7-5 Arkansas. Is that a good loss just because they are an SEC team? This argument that Jimbo is a terrible coach is hilarious. Is that why LSU was going to pay him $7 million/year? And Texas was interested? Are those AD's just stupid? It makes Gator fans look like whiny b*tches saying that he's a bad coach. Let it go.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Do you realize that this guy finished fourth in the Mountain West?

He has already been to the top of the mountain.

So his improvement is already evident since he has 2 SEC East titles to his credit in a tougher conference.....better than he ever did out west. Right?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He has made us the fourth to sixth best team in the SEC. An argument could be made that teams like Arky, who blew us the fvkk out, are also better teams but Im giving him the benefit of the doubt. Arky and Cowbell would have no.doubt been the best teams in the SEC east the last two years.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Does anyone else feel when they are told "Get on board with Coach Mac" that it sounds more like a threat and should be followed by maniacal laughter?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I certainly agree that I would like to recruit at the highest level but Unfortunately it's not a given.

Out of curiosity does the gatorchatter community think Clemson will be taking a step back because they finished
#22 according to Rivals? And yes I realize Deshaun Watson is gone so let's take that out of the equation.
You make a good point about Clemson. Their classes do end up around 10th every year. It does show a couple of things. First of all how important QB play is -- they've had that the last few years, and second, they play in the ACC which helps from the attrition standpoint. Of course, recruiting is never a given, but Saban has proved what can be done from that standpoint, and Meyer proved it could be done at Florida and he continues to do it at OSU, though it's easier there.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I certainly agree that I would like to recruit at the highest level but Unfortunately it's not a given.

Out of curiosity does the gatorchatter community think Clemson will be taking a step back because they finished
#22 according to Rivals? And yes I realize Deshaun Watson is gone so let's take that out of the equation.
They will be taking a step back because the QB graduated. He was the difference. We'll have to wait and see on the new one.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone else feel when they are told "Get on board with Coach Mac" that it sounds more like a threat and should be followed by maniacal laughter?
I don't know about a threat but I would like to get on board but I worry about being a passenger in a train wreak.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well,

1. Starting to get it after two season would be ridiculous. He was hired to do a job immediately and being the coach at UF is NOT a job to get it in two years later. He is not an 18 year old WR who we hope can contribute as a JR.

2. Nothing has changed since the end of the season. Recruiting class ranking good or bad is irrelevant for the job he was hired to do. He needs to put a product on the field that is attractive for fans including winning games and an exciting offense.

3. At this point we are still in the how is this different than Muschamp or why should we be paying for two head coaches when the prior one could be fielding the current offense. I don't care whether or not McElwain gets it if he can not put a good offense on the field.

It all comes down to Franks or Trask. Everything else seems to be in place - depth on OL, solid backfield, playmakers, etc. Defense is reloading and the best P/PK combo. The plays have been there but Appleby couldn't hit them consistently. Del Río was a touch better but both invite the defenses to load up the box and trust us to miss a pass, take a penalty or really anything to stall a drive. A decent QB would make all the difference.

There are a few great QBs but there are a lot of competent ones. That's all we need.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
People on here act like if other programs don't win a national championship every year they're program has problems. Regarding FSU, they knew last year was going to be an off year, breaking in a freshman QB. They have recruited as well as any program in the country besides Alabama & Ohio State. Jimbo may not be the best coach in the country, but he's in the top 5-10 and that's without question. Regardless if he does less with more or whatever. I'll take an solid coach, which he is, who is a great recruiter....because eventually it all comes together - like it did for them in 2013 - plus in that same year he replaced 6 coaches...SIX! There's only 9 on a staff. And you act like losing games in the ACC is a bad thing. While you were asleep the ACC has become a better top to bottom conference than the SEC, with much better coaches. Every team brings their A-game when they play an FSU, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, etc (we used to be on that list). If you forgot, we got blown out by Arkansas....a 7-5 Arkansas. Is that a good loss just because they are an SEC team? This argument that Jimbo is a terrible coach is hilarious. Is that why LSU was going to pay him $7 million/year? And Texas was interested? Are those AD's just stupid? It makes Gator fans look like whiny b*tches saying that he's a bad coach. Let it go.

It always cracks me up when a person attributes comments to another that were never made then criticizes said other for the phantom statements and then acts like he's really smart as he goes about disproving the comments that he alone made up. I never said Jimbo was a terrible coach, you made that up. I said he does less with more. If you want to argue that or the fact that FSU is consistently overrated, then you're a fool. Here is their regular season record and # of ACC losses in () since 2010 when Jimbo became HC...9-3 (2), 8-4 (3), 10-2 (1), 14-0 (0), 13-1 (0), 10-2 (2), 9-3 (3). Here are their Rivals recruiting class rankings from 2004 through 2016...3,2,3,22,9,7,10,2,6,10,4,3,2. With all this talent that they pulled in since 2004 (guys that would have been upperclassmen when Jimbo joined the staff) they've been in the NC title hunt, WAIT FOR IT,...TWICE, THAT'S IT!!! Guess what, that proves exactly what I said, that he does less with more. In 4 out of his 7 seasons, he has lost 2 or more conference games which kills any chance of competing for a NC, so don't sit here and act like Jimbo is the 2nd coming of insert name of any all time great coach here. If any guy that was our head coach was losing conference games to mid tier and below SEC teams like Jimbo does in the ACC, while bringing in top level talent like Jimbo, you'd be pissing and moaning so badly, it would be unbearable. Hell, you're doing it with McElwain (and rightfully so) and he's not even working with the same level of Rivals recruiting class talent. You showed that in your post above by bringing up the loss to Arkansas. Bringing up our loss to a 7-5 Arkansas doesn't do anything to disprove that Jimbo does less with more or that the Noles are overrated, all is shows is that we sucked and lost to a 7-5 Arkansas team.

As far as your statement that FSU knew last year was going to be an off year, AGAIN, you just show how little you know about football. They were the PRESEASON #4!!! They brought back almost their entire team, INCLUDING THEIR 5TH YEAR SENIOR QUARTERBACK!!! On paper, they were one of the odds on favorites to go all the way! Were you ASLEEP during this? It just so happens that when their QB Macguire came back to practice from his foot injury before the season even started but Jimbo the QB whisperer decided to start the redshirt Freshman QB.

Your comments about the ACC having much better coaches is equally laughable. 2 of the HCs in their conference are guys that were fired from SEC programs because they weren't cutting it, one is the former OC here who turned our offense into a shyt show relative to the talent he had to work with and then you have quite a few no-names or guys who the jury is still out on to complement the coaches in the ACC that would be considered decent or better (Dabo, Jimbo and Petrino). To say that they have much better coaches is just plain stupid. Equally stupid is your assertion that the ACC has become a better top to bottom conference than the SEC. Did they have a better 2016 than the SEC? Yes. Does one year a conference make? No. Go back and look at the history over the past 10 or so years of head to head SEC/ACC matchups, national titles, etc. and keep a straight face as you try to sling that BS. If they perform for a few more years like they did in 2016, you may start to have a point. Until then, you're just the type of whiny, b*tch Gator fan you reference above, spewing uneducated non-sense.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Can't have a high-quality offense with a 1-yr AA and darn sure can't with Treon Harris. Just no chance. Treon pumped his stats by throwing up deep balls and hitting a few, but he was atrocious as was the offense with him.

@BMF said FSU knew it was gonna be an off year breaking in a Fr QB. We're doing the same next year. As long as the trend of improving every year continues, we'll be in good shape.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It always cracks me up when a person attributes comments to another that were never made then criticizes said other for the phantom statements and then acts like he's really smart as he goes about disproving the comments that he alone made up. I never said Jimbo was a terrible coach, you made that up. I said he does less with more. If you want to argue that or the fact that FSU is consistently overrated, then you're a fool. Here is their regular season record and # of ACC losses in () since 2010 when Jimbo became HC...9-3 (2), 8-4 (3), 10-2 (1), 14-0 (0), 13-1 (0), 10-2 (2), 9-3 (3). Here are their Rivals recruiting class rankings from 2004 through 2016...3,2,3,22,9,7,10,2,6,10,4,3,2. With all this talent that they pulled in since 2004 (guys that would have been upperclassmen when Jimbo joined the staff) they've been in the NC title hunt, WAIT FOR IT,...TWICE, THAT'S IT!!! Guess what, that proves exactly what I said, that he does less with more. In 4 out of his 7 seasons, he has lost 2 or more conference games which kills any chance of competing for a NC, so don't sit here and act like Jimbo is the 2nd coming of insert name of any all time great coach here. If any guy that was our head coach was losing conference games to mid tier and below SEC teams like Jimbo does in the ACC, while bringing in top level talent like Jimbo, you'd be pissing and moaning so badly, it would be unbearable. Hell, you're doing it with McElwain (and rightfully so) and he's not even working with the same level of Rivals recruiting class talent. You showed that in your post above by bringing up the loss to Arkansas. Bringing up our loss to a 7-5 Arkansas doesn't do anything to disprove that Jimbo does less with more or that the Noles are overrated, all is shows is that we sucked and lost to a 7-5 Arkansas team.

As far as your statement that FSU knew last year was going to be an off year, AGAIN, you just show how little you know about football. They were the PRESEASON #4!!! They brought back almost their entire team, INCLUDING THEIR 5TH YEAR SENIOR QUARTERBACK!!! On paper, they were one of the odds on favorites to go all the way! Were you ASLEEP during this? It just so happens that when their QB Macguire came back to practice from his foot injury before the season even started but Jimbo the QB whisperer decided to start the redshirt Freshman QB.

Your comments about the ACC having much better coaches is equally laughable. 2 of the HCs in their conference are guys that were fired from SEC programs because they weren't cutting it, one is the former OC here who turned our offense into a shyt show relative to the talent he had to work with and then you have quite a few no-names or guys who the jury is still out on to complement the coaches in the ACC that would be considered decent or better (Dabo, Jimbo and Petrino). To say that they have much better coaches is just plain stupid. Equally stupid is your assertion that the ACC has become a better top to bottom conference than the SEC. Did they have a better 2016 than the SEC? Yes. Does one year a conference make? No. Go back and look at the history over the past 10 or so years of head to head SEC/ACC matchups, national titles, etc. and keep a straight face as you try to sling that BS. If they perform for a few more years like they did in 2016, you may start to have a point. Until then, you're just the type of whiny, b*tch Gator fan you reference above, spewing uneducated non-sense.

Thanks for the book. Can you give a cliff's notes version? Didn't read....thanks for the effort though. We're right on track to becoming a national power. You're right, I'm wrong. FSU is about to go in the tank....

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for the book. Can you give a cliff's notes version? Didn't read....thanks for the effort though. We're right on track to becoming a national power. You're right, I'm wrong. FSU is about to go in the tank....

Sure you didn't. :bwahaha:

But thanks for being man enough to admit that I'm right and you're wrong about Jimbo doing less with more and about their program consistently being overrated relative to all the talent they land according to Rivals.
:snicker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.