Lack of Talent?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Oddly enough, that’s exactly how I pictured you this morning. Glad you’re back with us after that bender.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Anybody that has been around since Spurrier has seen a chit load of bad coaches. As Gator fans we've gotten pretty good at spotting them. We know our red flags. I feel confident in saying that sometimes an assistant deserves a year and sometimes he deserves 7 games. I can't think of a single UF coach or assistant that started off as a bum and then suddenly became SEC level. BTW SEC level isn't good enough. We want the best assistants in the country. But I digress.

No matter when you fire a coach it's going to have an effect on recruiting so that's not an excuse.
Toney has obviously not been able to coach up these players all though he's had them for almost a year now.
Toney hasn't been able to implement a respectable scheme all though he's had all that time and 6 games.
Toney, 10 years from now, might be a good DC but he ain't now.

No matter how bad you think the players are they aren't 3* Kentucky level. And 3* Kentucky plays one helluva lot better than us. To have these guys playing WORSE than they did last year takes an formidable outside force. That force is named Toney.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I don’t disagree with much of what you put out there but I just can’t see them going before late 6 or 7 if at all. LSU’s true freshman OT Will Campbell, that was in the hospital for dehydration issues the weekend before just got named SEC O-Lineman of the week. Think about that a minute.
Cox is mediocre against quality talent, and Princely is pitiful against any OT with a good first step.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Oh for Fk sake. You guys were all over Muschamps dick and excited about Mac butters when he was beating Ugay and going to back to back SECCG. As usual some like and some don't. Lets look at the success of the coaches that were preferred to what we got?
UCLA is 6-0 and ranked in the top 10 :dunno:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I certainly don't think we have a complete lack of talent--even if I don't see a ton of NFL-level players on our D--but I do see poor scheme on multiple occasions vs teams that are middling to poor on offense. LSU did whatever they wanted this weekend; and Mizzou (F'N MIZZOU) converted over 50% of their 3rd downs the week before. Neither team is very good on offense, let's just be clear.

That is a failure of coaching and execution at the end of the day. Tomato tomato as far as who's "most" to blame; but at the end of the day, the coach is the one who's job it is to figure this out and if anything, we're getting worse. People have figured out his scheme and his tendencies and are exploiting it to the max.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
UCLA is 6-0 and ranked in the top 10 :dunno:

There were tons of voices in this forum that wanted no part of Chip Kelly. Thought he was lazy as a recruiter and didn't think his offense would work in the SEC. And it probably wouldn't..move on!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not really sure what this means. It takes 4 years to get your own people? It takes 4 years to get your own.people smart enough to understand thier assignments? It took 4 years to learn how to be a good DC?

Whatever the reason... 4 years is too damned long for 11th placed defense, imo.

2022- 105th in 3rd dwn defense %
2021 - 26th
2020 - 93rd
2019 - 45th
2018 - 116
2017 - 118

ULL is 43rd in total defense and 23rd in scoring defense this year.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I certainly don't think we have a complete lack of talent--even if I don't see a ton of NFL-level players on our D--but I do see poor scheme on multiple occasions vs teams that are middling to poor on offense. LSU did whatever they wanted this weekend; and Mizzou (F'N MIZZOU) converted over 50% of their 3rd downs the week before. Neither team is very good on offense, let's just be clear.

That is a failure of coaching and execution at the end of the day. Tomato tomato as far as who's "most" to blame; but at the end of the day, the coach is the one who's job it is to figure this out and if anything, we're getting worse. People have figured out his scheme and his tendencies and are exploiting it to the max.
People have figured out that Dean is a busted coverage waiting to happen. That
Burney is terrible at run stop and Miller struggles in pass coverage. Personnel not scheme is the problem, however, it is on the coaches to make some changes in the personnel even it if means letting young players make mistakes and LEARN which neither Dean nor Tre'Vez seem to be capable of. If our corner coverage was a bit better and we didn't just outright blow coverages we could play more cover zero but we can't. We have some of the younger players buying in and learning and it is showing on film but some people like the aforementioned ones along with Cox on occasion or any other DE still not taking the right leverages or just flat out giving up the edge. This year should be a job interview for every fking player on this team and in some regards the position coaches that can't seem to coach these guys into more disciplined football. Next year after Watson has had another year in the wt room along with McClellan at DT I believe we could have one of the most dominate D lines in the SEC. LB position should also improve with James and Scooby already starting to learn and contribute. Hopefully Marshall will stay and Moore will be solid.

Look at UCLA's first 4 opponents. And we beat Utah...so what they are 6-0 in the pac 10. We have constantly laughed at the Pac 10 for the weak ass defense that league is notorious for and now you guys are here raising up Riley and Kelly for taking the easy train coaching jobs at USC and UCLA? Kiffen I would have been fine knowing that he's a train wreck waiting to happen due to his personality. Lots of you wanted Frost...I see no one has mentioned him though.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
People on Twitter? Questionable DC? Well what about Youtube, can we go to that and look at the review GNFP gave Toney's defense? I'm not sure what you talking about with the other stuff, change the culture, half ass recruiting and outscheming everyone else. Clock management? Okay but it's quite possible he felt the need to run out the clock in order not to give it back to the offense and give up yet more points. I don't know.

Those other bad decisions were followed by the initials of the coaches in parentheses. I don’t see a ridiculous decision by Napier at the moment. Even if Toney turns out to be a bust, he wasn’t a stupid hire. It will hurt and be a lump BN has to take, but it isn’t egregious like the other past decisions previous coaches have made.

The clock management issues are a problem, and a recurring one at that. No matter how much talent we compile, sooner or later we’re going to have to win a tight game that requires good overall coaching. The fact that it happened against Utah, then Uk(though that one can at least be debated, even if ill advised), then Mizzou and now Lsu tells me it’s not something that I need to see years of data to state it’s a problem, and a bad sign of where he’s at in gameday capabilities. Still hoping for the best but not thrilled.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There were tons of voices in this forum that wanted no part of Chip Kelly. Thought he was lazy as a recruiter and didn't think his offense would work in the SEC. And it probably wouldn't..move on!

I think the offense work here. And I actually never saw the laziness in recruiting that we’ve watched recently. So that came as a shock. But, as an Eagles fan, I really didn’t want him. There were too many things swirling around him, and I thought he’d be a flight risk to the NFL. But where la’s point doesn’t work is if you look at his records from 2018 through 2021, he never makes it to a 5th season this year to get a chance to be 6-0. Not at UF. So I agree that it’s moot.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm just gonna say this about clock management. It's not that Napier makes mistakes. He does exactly what he plans to do and has had explanations post-game. You can disagree with the strategy but it isn't because he doesn't know what he's doing. I kinda zone out but I think his explanations come down to not trusting our defense to make stops and (after reviewing last year's Ga game) not trusting AR to run a 2-minute offense.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm just gonna say this about clock management. It's not that Napier makes mistakes. He does exactly what he plans to do and has had explanations post-game. You can disagree with the strategy but it isn't because he doesn't know what he's doing. I kinda zone out but I think his explanations come down to not trusting our defense to make stops and (after reviewing last year's Ga game) not trusting AR to run a 2-minute offense.

That would make sense if we had simply brought the ball. But we did. We threw to get midfield, then pissed away a minute plus.

In the opener, the idea that we didn’t trust our defense would make sense for running the clock down before calling a time out, except that we didn’t run the play clock down on the following plays to minimize Utah’s time. You either play for a potentially necessary next possession, or you play to kill the clock on that drive. We chose a hybrid approach. I am growing less convinced that this is somehow a plan because it can be explained and becoming seriously concerned he’s excellent at spinning bad decisions.

In the initial example of the Lsu game, when you’re already down a score and a possession, if you haven’t stopped that team all night, that’s all the more reason it was a must score moment. A pick-6 wouldn’t have made it any more of a sure loss than it was when we pulled that. Our “money”, if what you suggest is true, was urinating down it’s negative leg in fear.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
In the initial example of the Lsu game, when you’re already down a score and a possession, if you haven’t stopped that team all night, that’s all the more reason it was a must score moment. A pick-6 wouldn’t have made it any more of a sure loss than it was when we pulled that. Our “money”, if what you suggest is true, was urinating down it’s negative leg in fear.
Brutal. :rotfl:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator