Mac and Company on the Trail

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Just read on TOS that Adaruis Lemons latest test scores didn't cut it. Likely doesn't make this class.

Sucks. With that said I'm not as worried about his test score as I am his behavior and grades. He has time to retake the tests and get the score he needs before summer. But if he can't keep his grades up or stay out of trouble it won't matter what his test score is.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My point is a simple one...a 3% swing on the crystal ball prediction(he was 100% to Va Tech earlier today) shouldn't move anyone's needle.
My point is a simple one... The 247 crystal ball is the single dumbest thing in all of recruiting. Half of those 'predictions' are probably a year old. It's not like they just polled 30 guys last week.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
My point is a simple one... The 247 crystal ball is the single dumbest thing in all of recruiting. Half of those 'predictions' are probably a year old. It's not like they just polled 30 guys last week.

The kids don't choose where they go, the crystal balls tell them where to go. Duh.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

There are always going to be surprises. There's no end all be all to predicting where these KIDS will go. Consider it a talking point.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are always going to be surprises. There's no end all be all to predicting where these KIDS will go. Consider it a talking point.
I'm not trying to argue that one psuedo journalist guessing that a kid will come here is a strong indication that he will. At the same time, citing the crystal ball is laughable. I wouldn't consider it a talking point unless we're talking about how embarrassingly bad 247 is.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not trying to argue that one psuedo journalist guessing that a kid will come here is a strong indication that he will. At the same time, citing the crystal ball is laughable. I wouldn't consider it a talking point unless we're talking about how embarrassingly bad 247 is.

B, I agree that it's silly - the predictions - but fans enjoy it and it makes for message board fodder. It's similar to the NFL Mock Drafts. Everyone says that McShay and Kiper are "idiots" and "don't know what they're talking about". That's so not true. This is their FULL-TIME JOB! They have more connections than AT&T! They talk to scouts, coaches, GM's, etc. Just like these recruiting "guru's", it's their FULL-TIME JOB! It's all they do. So, in the end, it's a very well educated guess. Sure, it's going to change and won't be exact...but I'd rather see that "crystal ball" w/ a Gator logo than another team's logo!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

But right around their announcement, often times a bunch of predictions change. It is probably a result of the selection leaking out, but a run in the day or hours before an announce thus can have information. Unfortunately that one pick late yesterday of Hunter to UF has not yet been follow up by other such picks.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The crystal ball is useful when in proper context. They do have a trend graph which is useful. These are guys who are closest to the recruits outside of family and friends in this process. One prediction is not an indication. For Hunter, most over the past two weeks has him to VaTech. Look at Solomon and you'll see a rash of predictions to Mich.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just saw on "another" site that walk-on LB RJ Raymond (Bobby Raymond's son) was given a scholarship. I'm not sure where this came from or why it's announced now. But is this saying that we are under 85? If so why can't we wait until the fall and see how things shake out w/ transfers? This could be old news, but thought it was weird to announce a few days before signing day.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I see that the one guy who said UF yesterday has switched to VaTech so Hunter is 100% VaTech as I type this.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This says a lot...

With out-of-state schools like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson having so much success, Ross thinks Florida has to rethink its recruiting strategy.

“From what I can see, they have to do a better job of identifying the younger studs and kind of lovin’ on those guys really early the way the other big dogs do like Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State,” Ross said. “They identify those young kids pretty early on and do a good job making sure that ‘hey man, we love you, we want you to come here.’ From my experience and how [Florida has] been around us, they tend to wait until that kid has those big-time, Power 5 offers and then they try to sneak in.

McElwain, meanwhile, has yet to hire any new assistants, despite Collins leaving for Temple on Dec. 13. F

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone's allowed to question the tactics of Drew Hughes. He is the best recruiting guru in the history of forever. He was also an intern at Bammer, you know.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone's allowed to question the tactics of Drew Hughes. He is the best recruiting guru in the history of forever. He was also an intern at Bammer, you know.
Just thankful he's better than Nord

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Local sports talk radio host here in Gainesville got a call today asking about the tweets from Allan and Carter telling us a surprise is coming on NSD. Carter tweeted again in the last few days "boy, boy, boy they don't know what we got coming".

The host said that they were referring to silent commits (plural). The host went on to say that he knows who they are talking about, but couldn't divulge the names. When asked specifically he did say that he didn't have any inside knowledge on Levi Jones.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
This says a lot...

With out-of-state schools like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson having so much success, Ross thinks Florida has to rethink its recruiting strategy.

“From what I can see, they have to do a better job of identifying the younger studs and kind of lovin’ on those guys really early the way the other big dogs do like Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State,” Ross said. “They identify those young kids pretty early on and do a good job making sure that ‘hey man, we love you, we want you to come here.’ From my experience and how [Florida has] been around us, they tend to wait until that kid has those big-time, Power 5 offers and then they try to sneak in.

McElwain, meanwhile, has yet to hire any new assistants, despite Collins leaving for Temple on Dec. 13. F
Butters is unorthodox. And not in a good way, more asinine, like naming your dog as starting QB to hyperbole your skill as a coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.