Mac will be around for a long time

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No LB depth at all, and there was more depth and talent when chump left than there is now. Same with DT. Sorry but that isnt good roster management. I agree with the rest of what you said, but when you make blanket statements like this you lose all credibility.

We have depth now. They're just young and inexperienced.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We have depth now. They're just young and inexperienced.
Nav, we hardly have any. We had a walkon starting last year because 1 or 2 guys got injured. How many additional players did he sign at LB this spring? Sorry, the LB position is dreadful right now. There are a few players, and out of those few, 1 or 2 might turn out to be real good. But we need a real stable. LB, especially middle LB is a high injury position and not only do we have a very small number of LBs, almost all of which are of the 3* or lower variety, but we have no actual true middle LB. Not one. The entire group is made up of outside LBs and tweeners.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No LB depth at all, and there was more depth and talent when chump left than there is now. Same with DT. Sorry but that isnt good roster management. I agree with the rest of what you said, but when you make blanket statements like this you lose all credibility.
Muschamp left a pretty mediocre crop
Of LBs. You had Morrison for a season and Davis. Outside of that it was pretty bad. Rolin and Anzalone barely touched the field and McMillian was awful. Of course Mac failed with his 15 class, but the 16 class looked promising and possibly some players in the 17 class.

DT was left in pretty good shape. Had too bad losses in Ivie and Holley, but zilch recruiting until last year.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I dont care what people think may happen this year. Lets see it before we start making major proclamations. yes the roster may be improved, but if we arent any better who cares?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Exactly, this is all projections and prognostications, it's conjecture. We will get a better understanding when the games are played.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I thought you must be coach9 for a second under a different name but i remembered he will actually critique Mac now unlike Muschamp.
I get it, as a fanbase no one is happy with simply winning the East and awful offenses. The product hasnt been great, but wouldn't you agree that what he inherited was far less than ideal and that this rebuild would take some time? Now from a critique standpoint, I am in the boat that doesnt want to hear anymore about not having a QB or any excuses. We have the numbers there, if someone doesnt emerge and play at least average than I will have concerns

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I get it, as a fanbase no one is happy with simply winning the East and awful offenses. The product hasnt been great, but wouldn't you agree that what he inherited was far less than ideal and that this rebuild would take some time? Now from a critique standpoint, I am in the boat that doesnt want to hear anymore about not having a QB or any excuses. We have the numbers there, if someone doesnt emerge and play at least average than I will have concerns

I think folks would cut him some slack, if say he wasn't hired for exact same purpose and to FIX it, not keep the status quo of 100+ ranked offenses. He knew what he was getting himself into in coming here, and accepted that role. Saban fixed Bama in one season, ONE! We aren't UT, where it takes 6-7 years to rebuild, we should never rebuild, just reload...We are terrible at player development. I hope things start to change, or its just going to be "business as usual" where we reward for mediocre play and coaching. Might as well start making East Division championship rings....

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He is almost assured 2018 barring 6-6 or something like that but if we don't have the offense corrected by then he needs to go at the end of 2018. At least we will have some good recruits here for the next coach if he doesn't do that. We will probably have a repeat of 2014 in 2018 if the offense sucks again with Nuss being fired at the end of the 2017 season.
If the team sucks I wouldn't be shocked if it's a 2015 recruiting class scenario where we lose commits. We need the offense to show up

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Torian Gray is probably a better coach then Bell, but Bell seems to be a better recruiter. We can definitely say Davis is better recruiting than Summers was. Is he a better coach? I don't know, but we're going to find out. I see Seider as up upgrade, as Skip is probably better off on the defensive side of the ball. It seems like initially Mcelwain wanted to assemble a good staff of teachers at each position group, and probably figured UF would recruit itself. After a couple of classes out of the top ten recruiting he seems to have realized that wasn't the case. Now that we have landed a couple of big fish, and recruiting in general is better off than it was we will see if this staff can bring out the best in these kids.
The jury is still out on bell. He hasn't landed anyone of note outside Russell in 18 or coached a game. Gray got Jrob Ventrell, & Marco and was the secondary recruiter for CJ,Conliffe, & Stewart. If bell can pull some top DBs and be as good as Gray I'd say they're even

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No. We should give him fair credit for not continuing as we've seen his first two years in recruiting and actually addressing the issue.

So, you'll give him a pass on the first year when we had an OL that was absolute crap and Treon throwing to D-Rob and a young Callaway. But you cut no slack for another year when we had an OL that wasn't much better than crap and del Rio...errr, AA, throwing to Callaway and maybe Powell.

I'm not going to throw defensive arguments up to support Nuss, I know I'd get shot around here. And, I can't say he is the right guy for the job. But I have a hard time criticising the lack of TDs when we haven't had the horsepower to execute a functional offense in years.

Even if we score 10 more pts/game, some on here won't give that merit, claiming the competition is weaker. Especially in the SECE.

Three things I'd like to point out:

1. It doesn't matter how bad the talent level is, there is zero excuse for having no improvement at all from year 1 to year 2.

2. With the east being down and having a weaker than usual schedule, it makes our offensive ranking even more pathetic.

3. The overall strength of schedule is tougher this year than last year, but even so it doesn't matter. We must show major improvement on offense this year no matter how weak or strong the competition is.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I really think the biggest problem coach Mac had was selecting his assistant coaches. It was a time when few good ones were available. He has corrected most of that. We now have some really good recruiters. I think that is a huge factor. Most successful business men know how to hire good people. The good assistant coaches will now be glad to come to UF. The question mark has been removed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Much required going forward to lift Mac's UF into the true "top-shelf" programs is:
1) consistent "growth" in adding the strong coaches by replacing those already shown to be weak
2) new & consistent score-stomping of cupcakes on our schedule
3) beating FSU & Bama (our last 2 games each season)
Gotta have these 3, along with the prior things mentioned.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If the team sucks I wouldn't be shocked if it's a 2015 recruiting class scenario where we lose commits. We need the offense to show up

Don't worry Omar's Coming Yo! - Mac has this covered.

"Am I excited about where it is? No," McElwain said of his offense. "We've got to get better play at some positions, and we've got to get more energy out of those positions. And yet that's my responsibility."

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Don't worry Omar's Coming Yo! - Mac has this covered.

"Am I excited about where it is? No," McElwain said of his offense. "We've got to get better play at some positions, and we've got to get more energy out of those positions. And yet that's my responsibility."
It's like he knows he's fn up, but yet pulls the Jedi mind trick on everyone and gets extensions and pay raises...hope he writes a self help book on how to do this, suck at your job and still get a raise!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Three things I'd like to point out:

1. It doesn't matter how bad the talent level is, there is zero excuse for having no improvement at all from year 1 to year 2.

2. With the east being down and having a weaker than usual schedule, it makes our offensive ranking even more pathetic.

3. The overall strength of schedule is tougher this year than last year, but even so it doesn't matter. We must show major improvement on offense this year no matter how weak or strong the competition is.

The bold is probably too cerebral for the pumpers. CHump left him nothing(15 NFL draft picks)!

Basecamp is year 4. WHat tool used to say that for Muschump. Hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator