Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Changed diet leading to less PB&J sammiches

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
I think he was brought in here to get the offense cranked up. He hasn't been able to do it. He doesn't know what else to do. He realizes we are terrible offensively and that except by luck we aren't going to get any better. And he's depressed about it and doesn't want to talk to reporters or give press conferences etc. And perhaps he even feels a little guilty taking 27 million dollars in return for bupkis.

I've never known anyone who genuinely thought that they themselves were overpaid. That would require a great deal of Humility not possessed by many men in the world. If he actually believed he was overpaid and was felt remorse for it I'd say we should keep him for as long as hell stay for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Sheridan was saying yesterday that he thougt Spurrier would take the OC job if he was left alone to run it........of course his shadow would cover ole Mac

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is what a Gator coach needs to do:

SCORE POINTS

This, this is the simple answer. It's not rocket science. They do it at plenty of schools, including Kentucky, NC State, Tulsa, Memphis, etc. Why the F'ck can't we score points.

Dooley has some stupid article today about "the offense will never be perfect". No sh*t! He says UF fans are used to being "spoiled". What? No, we're NOT used to having our offense ranked in the 100's 5 of the last 6 seasons!

This clown is in over his head. He was brought here to fix the offense, period. UF will always have the athletes to field a solid defense, if they have DT's (which this retard forgot to recruit for two years). So fixing the offense was all he had to do. Hell, just get it into the top 5 of the SEC and top 50 in the country and this team would win most of the games it

I've never known anyone who genuinely thought that they themselves were overpaid. That would require a great deal of Humility not possessed by many men in the world. If he actually believed he was overpaid and was felt remorse for it I'd say we should keep him for as long as hell stay for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

I'm a military officer and I can honestly say, I am over paid. Yes, over paid. Don't get me wrong....I'm not giving any of my pay check back, but I make entirely more money than I need and I consider most military officer's over paid. I know that's blasphemy (to say the military is over paid). The young enlisted guys get the hose, but you have to start somewhere (and they literally start at the bottom). But once you've been in for several years the pay increases and it's a nice living.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think it's just a pride thing. He's heard some criticisms this last year he didn't like, and he legitimately thought he'd prove those critics wrong this year. Well one game in he did the exact opposite by proving critics right and now the noise is louder. I think he's disappointed in himself and probably a little depressed by it.

I think this is likely the most accurate post. As others have said, it's not necessarily an easy job, especially with where we were and where our biggest in-state rival was. That said, while pride has its place in any performance based job, you can't allow it to affect you the way I believe it has JM. You're going to get criticism and you're going to have demands. When the latter aren't met, you have to own it and give reason to truly believe they eventually will. Instead, it seems he too often wants to arrogantly dismiss those concerns, only compounding his problem with the fans and perception. Spurrier would blame himself, Meyer would do his death stare, and even WM initially showed that these performances crushed him(that changed near the end). McElwain almost appears more upset at the notion of people questioning him than at the product he's putting out, and gives the impression he could almost do without the fans. I don't know whether or not that's his actual feeling, but I think in his own cocky way, that's the impression he gives.

Ftr, I also think this is part of the issue he's had in recruiting. Like it or not, until you're a Saban/Meyer type of presence, there is a certain measure of humility that goes into dealing with these kids.

I do think some of the criticisms have been overdone and I've stated that numerous times. But it's part of the job--one that pays you millions whether you're successful at it or not. He needs to learn to deal with it or move on.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm wondering if all of the suspension stuff is part of his demeanor these days. The one thing I will say about Mac is I do think he really cares about the kids and tries to help them grow. Seeing so many kids on his team make such a bad decision that hurts themselves and the team probably does impact him.

I think Mac is a good guy, I just don't think he is doing a good job.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The young enlisted guys get the hose, but you have to start somewhere (and they literally start at the bottom). But once you've been in for several years the pay increases and it's a nice living.

After all my entitlements as an E-6 with 18+ years in, I was still only making about 33k a year (retired in 2006). You can't find a single civilian job where they're required to work as many hours as I did, and where the risk is as high, that makes that little. Enlisted E-6 and below are paid peanuts compared to civilians in similar jobs. I'm happy you feel properly compensated for your efforts, but don't go making such false statements about the Enlisted guys. Not the lowly E-6 and below anyway. I know E-7 and above make pretty good bank, but not the "peons". Even after 18+ years it's still crap pay for what they're subjected to. 12 on/12 off, 7 days a week while at sea + watch standing. Yeah....not a nice living. I call BS sir!

:bsflag:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can you just imagine this coming through Gator Walk? Gets me all excited...

mike-gundy-mullet-haircut.jpg

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Can you just imagine this coming through Gator Walk? Gets me all excited...

mike-gundy-mullet-haircut.jpg

I'd like to see him here. But why would he and how? He is at his alma mater with one of the largest financial backers in the country who, by the way, also loves hm.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see him here. But why would he and how? He is at his alma mater with one of the largest financial backers in the country who, by the way, also loves hm.
This is the thing that cracks me up. We have people here who truly believe that Gainesville is such a hot ticket that established coaches at other top ten schools would just pack their bags and come here if offered a few bucks.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, there is that. I also left out the part about those 12on/12off days really being more like 16on/8off days if there were XREPS in the shop.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Never said he would...

Though i thought "rumors" were that he and OSU/Pickens didn't really get along all that great

Oct 5, 2014
I definitely agree with this:

"McElwain almost appears more upset at the notion of people questioning him than at the product he's putting out, and gives the impression he could almost do without the fans. I don't know whether or not that's his actual feeling, but I think in his own cocky way, that's the impression he gives."

After watching Mac and Nord back-to-back, I am frustrated and depressed.

I do, however,give Nord credit for admitting this: "'I am not a big numbers guy" He obviously is not a numbers guy.

Who needs numbers to coach special teams?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
After all my entitlements as an E-6 with 18+ years in, I was still only making about 33k a year (retired in 2006). You can't find a single civilian job where they're required to work as many hours as I did, and where the risk is as high, that makes that little. Enlisted E-6 and below are paid peanuts compared to civilians in similar jobs. I'm happy you feel properly compensated for your efforts, but don't go making such false statements about the Enlisted guys. Not the lowly E-6 and below anyway. I know E-7 and above make pretty good bank, but not the "peons". Even after 18+ years it's still crap pay for what they're subjected to. 12 on/12 off, 7 days a week while at sea + watch standing. Yeah....not a nice living. I call BS sir!

:bsflag:

Well, I'm an O4 w/ 25+ years (maxed out on the pay scale) and I'm living very comfortably. Most of the E6's I know are making well over $2,500 bring home per paycheck (2x's a month) w/ DC housing allowance. That's $60+K/year - after taxes w/ free medical. I just returned from a 2-year stint in Virginia Beach/Norfolk, and the E6 I worked w/ made around $2300/bring home per pay check....w/ 15 years in.

I'm sorry you had a sh*tty experience in the military. I've enjoyed my time. Yeah, sure there's been some rough times - in 2005/2006, as a LTJG, I deployed to the desert, I lived in a warehouse w/ 100 other grown men, working 7 days/week, standing watches. It sucked. But it was temporary. In 1991 I deployed to the desert as an E3 Navy Hospital Corpsman. I lived in a tent. It sucked.

But now, as a 25+ year veteran, I sit in an office and make O4 pay (which includes over $40,000/year tax free in BAH and BAS). It's a DAMN good live.

I can honestly say that I'm overpaid.....and I love it! I have 3 more years left and I'll retire. I wish I could do this for another 8-10 years, but it's time for me to move on (I'll turn 50 and I'm ready to move back to Florida).

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry you had a sh*tty experience in the military

I never said that. I just said you're wrong about the military being paid exceptionally well. At least not the enlisted.

Oh, and those hours are not temporary for enlisted folks. At sea it's always 12on/12off, 7 days a week plus watches. On shore it's always 40hours a week plus watches. When I was young in the Navy supervisors would give guys some time off if they stood a late watch the night before, but that all stopped about the time I had 15 years in. It got to the point where compensation for extra duties was no longer allowed so a 48-56 hour work week was the norm depending on how many duty sections the command was set up for. As I told someone else earlier, at sea work hours were actually more like 16on/8off if you had EXREPs in the shop (which my shops always did because of what I worked on).

Again, I loved the first 16 years of my Navy career, so I'm not complaining, I'm just saying your estimation of monetary compensation is way higher than what I got paid.

Ok, I just looked it up to make sure I'm not talking out my @ss. An E-6, over 18 years base pay is now a tad over $45k before taxes. And I'm not buying BAH and COMRATS adds another $15k a year, but I suppose it could come close to that, so I'll give you a pass this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.