Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Navet, I'm in agreement w/ you that the lowest E's aren't "paid well". I joined in 89 and I remember my first paychecks were around $300!

Here's the BAH calculator (this is just BAH, does not include BAS):

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/pdcgi/bah/bahsrch.cgi

An E6 living in the DC area gets $2,586 (w/ dependent's) and $2,004 (without). So, an E6 with is getting $31,000+ tax free/year just for housing. Then they are earning (taking from your post, I didn't look this up) another $45K.....then they get a few thousand in BAS. So, they're making around $80K....as an E6!!

Sure, if you're in an operational unit (ship, air squadron, special forces, etc) you are busy and working a lot of hours. I've worked as many or more hours as an Officer as I have as Enlisted. I was a Corpsman when I was enlisted, I worked 7 days a week at times. When I was in a clinical/hospital job I sometimes worked 40 hour weeks w/ duty once or twice a month. I'm in a staff job now as an officer and I work 40-50 hours a week and do some light travel where I have to work weekends (like when I went to the Michigan/Cincinnati game two weeks ago).

My whole point was, when asked, I said that I feel like I am paid well (and sometimes/often times, feel over paid). I really like my job and I'm happy and grateful for it. But I paid my dues as an enlisted man and now I'm 'fat and happy'. BTW, I have a Master Chief (most senior enlisted man, E9) and he works the same exact schedule that I do. He's earned it. In fact, I take on more duties than he does....because I'm "junior" to a Master Chief (don't tell OUR master chief here!!). But a 20 year old uneducated E4 is even making $1650/month in BAH!

They've really increased those housing and substance allowances since I was in then. Well, and you're also cherry picking DC rates, that's probably the highest in the entire country. I was always stationed in Jax, Norfolk, and 3 years in San Diego, but I had to get a 2nd job to make ends meet in San Diego delivering pizza it was so expensive there. Things have changed greatly because I NEVER earned more than 33k a year as an E-6 with over 18 years(take-home after taxes).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They've really increased those housing and substance allowances since I was in then. Well, and you're also cherry picking DC rates, that's probably the highest in the entire country. I was always stationed in Jax, Norfolk, and 3 years in San Diego, but I had to get a 2nd job to make ends meet in San Diego delivering pizza it was so expensive there. Things have changed greatly because I NEVER earned more than 33k a year as an E-6 with over 18 years(take-home after taxes).

Highest is SF, Boston, and Seattle (for military locales). San Diego is probably up there too. BTW, I went to boot camp, A-school, and C-school in San Diego! Great city!

E6 in Jacksonville is getting $1680 (with), $1340 (without)....that's $20,160/year (with), not bad money (plus they're getting BAS).

E6 in Norfolk - $1689/$1530.

I'll admit, the pay has drastically increased. It happened in the early years of the the GWB administration, nice raises. They were trying to get w/in 5% (or something like that) of the private sector. Warrant Officer's got huge raises. A CWO4 w/ 26+ years makes more than an O4.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Yes pay rates have increased considerably. The newest rates are here: file:///C:/Users/u62973/Downloads/2017MilitaryPayChart.pdf.
When I retired in 97 as an O-5 over 24, my total income before taxes was 73K. I notice now the same guy get of 108K in base pay. Keep in mind my pay included flight pay, BAS, and BAQ. Of course its been 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.