Meet Mediocre Stricklin

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting.

Take a look at his 2014 - he has UF in the top 9/11 bluechip school. Texas is 6/11.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...llege-football-recruiting-teams-championships
Florida: 54 percent (16 percent worse '13-14 than '11-12)
Florida is by far the most talented team that had a losing record in 2013. There's good reason why Will Muschamp is also on the hot seat. A terrible 4-8 season with a loss to then-FCS Georgia Southern will do that.​

It's not ALL about stars.

Having 4/5 star recruits, great coaches and great facilities is going to get you near the top. There's no debate.

But how do you take the dumpster fire that Muschamp left and showed on the field, our pathetic offense since 2008 and outdated facilities and go out and sign a class full of 4 and 5 stars. Could Saban do it before he won his first NC at LSU? Could Meyer do it coming from Utah? Possibly. But those two guys are in their own league when it comes to recruiting.

I think fans need to get a grip.
(LOL ... don't hit me...)
It's not about the star ratings. We'll always get a few 4 and 5 star guys here and there. It's the fact that we have 15 commits with less than 2 weeks before signing day and we're firing coaches and slow playing players of need. This board is way past the star rating argument. We're unorganized and there's o urgency is the problem.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I've missed your point. I never said anything about winning at South Carolina or Duke being similar to winning at UF.

Although, now that you mention it, I do remember a coach coming from Duke that did pretty well at UF.

Are you implying that Muschamp at USC is the reason for Clemsons sucess? If so, please explain.

I just pointed out and compared Clemsons recruiting classes over the past 4 years vs UFs over the past 2 years.

Clemson just beat our conferences death star. They gave Lil Nicky everything he could handle last year.

Let's compare recruiting classes:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Lil Nicky
2013 #1
2014 #1
2015 #1
2016 #1

Dabo
2013 #15
2014 #17
2015 #9
2016 #11

Clemson is #2-#4 in their conference each year. FSU has been #1.
Obviously, there's more to success on the field than stars alone. That was the ADs point.

McChewin

2015 #21
2016 #12
2017 ????

Why don't we wait until NSD to fill in the blank.

Your rankings are way off...Clemson had the 4th and 6th recently on Rivals. You pumpers are so full of crap.

Mac sucks.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Once the Bull Gators stop writing checks after realizing what a loser from Starkville we have in charge, then maybe some changes happen, but not before.

The pinhead needs to realize in Starkville you build the program on three stars, but when you have four and five stars galore within a 150 mile radius of your campus and you can't get any of them to come to your school, that is the epitome of a losing culture.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Your rankings are way off...Clemson had the 4th and 6th recently on Rivals. You pumpers are so full of crap.

Mac sucks.
The link is in my post. 24/7 rankings. Which is a composite.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The link is in my post. 24/7 rankings. Which is a composite.

Rivals is what I use, sorry. And they had two top ten classes recently. I have posted all kinds of articles that show a direct relationship between recruiting rankings and winning. Every national champion going back 20 years(expect OU in 2000) has had multiple top ten classes in the prior four years to their title. It is fact. Stop trying to make it ok that Mac sucks. He's garbage.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It's not about the star ratings. We'll always get a few 4 and 5 star guys here and there. It's the fact that we have 15 commits with less than 2 weeks before signing day and we're firing coaches and slow playing players of need. This board is way past the star rating argument. We're unorganized and there's o urgency is the problem.
I've been very concerned about that too. We absolutely have to fill our roster. Only having 15 for several months is a head scratcher. We'll find out on NSD. Fingers crossed.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals is what I use, sorry. And they had two top ten classes recently. I have posted all kinds of articles that show a direct relationship between recruiting rankings and winning. Every national champion going back 20 years(expect OU in 2000) has had multiple top ten classes in the prior four years to their title. It is fact. Stop trying to make it ok that Mac sucks. He's garbage.
We'll, I just posted data showing that a top 15 program (recruiting) just beat the team with 4 straight #1 recruiting rankings. And I provided the link.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
To use a golf analogy, Jim Furyk and Zack Johnson win tournaments at the highest level of competition. In fact, both of them have won a major championship but over the long hall they will not consistently beat McElroy or Tiger or Jason Day. And I don't think they'll be in the Hall of Fame (though golf has an odd criteria for induction).

They are 3-stars. The guys who have won multiple majors are 5-stars. There is a difference in talent levels. As has been mentioned, you can uncover some lower rated players who turn out to be exceptional but you shouldn't try to make that the recruiting paradigm of your program.

As a pumper currently contemplating a change in "status" I am bothered that the Athletic Director appears to be endorsing a recruiting philosophy that doesn't emphasize the gathering of top talent. It is also a major concern that UF has no 5-stars and none of the Top 100 (at least as of today).

I am hopeful for some significant NSD surprises and cling to the mantra that "it's not over till it's over".

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

The more you talk the dumber you sound. You think saying Mac sucks bothers people? Hilarious. Your very childish. You constantly gripe about him and in the same breath you want him to hire top tier coaches and bring in top tier recruits. Very fickle. Very few are happy about the program right now but most are grown ups and it doesnt consume every facet of their lives. Maybe one day when you grow up you will realize your misery doesnt change anything. Maybe....

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With his comments yesterday on being at "full strength" with two support staffers on the road; Stricklin has followed it up with this today....

Of course this is what he is going to say when his coach isn't doing great.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
The more you talk the dumber you sound. You think saying Mac sucks bothers people? Hilarious. Your very childish. You constantly gripe about him and in the same breath you want him to hire top tier coaches and bring in top tier recruits. Very fickle. Very few are happy about the program right now but most are grown ups and it doesnt consume every facet of their lives. Maybe one day when you grow up you will realize your misery doesnt change anything. Maybe....
Dan what are we supposed to discuss in here then? This doesn't consume my life but I care about gator football and am concerned about this coaching staff and their ability to get it done, cause if they don't we are looking at another 5 years of futility

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
To use a golf analogy, Jim Furyk and Zack Johnson win tournaments at the highest level of competition. In fact, both of them have won a major championship but over the long hall they will not consistently beat McElroy or Tiger or Jason Day. And I don't think they'll be in the Hall of Fame (though golf has an odd criteria for induction).

They are 3-stars. The guys who have won multiple majors are 5-stars. There is a difference in talent levels. As has been mentioned, you can uncover some lower rated players who turn out to be exceptional but you shouldn't try to make that the recruiting paradigm of your program.

As a pumper currently contemplating a change in "status" I am bothered that the Athletic Director appears to be endorsing a recruiting philosophy that doesn't emphasize the gathering of top talent. It is also a major concern that UF has no 5-stars and none of the Top 100 (at least as of today).

I am hopeful for some significant NSD surprises and cling to the mantra that "it's not over till it's over".
Signing day is just around the corner. Fingers crossed.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
LOL. We've been making a 20 million plus profit forever. Why the hell do you think we need to RAISE money?

All we need is a competent AD.

There won't be any RAISING money for a while. Ticket sales and merchandise will continue to fall as will contributions.

I think we have about 150M of liabilities which should not go up. If you want more investment in facilities we will have to raise that money. That is a lot of what SOS and our previous AD are supposed to be doing. And if we have been making surplus (profit is not appropriate) somehow we have been spending it.

Now as usual I don't claim to be perfect or have some special inside knowledge, these things are I think common knowledge.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Dan what are we supposed to discuss in here then? This doesn't consume my life but I care about gator football and am concerned about this coaching staff and their ability to get it done, cause if they don't we are looking at another 5 years of futility

You hit the nail on the head. "Discuss". With some, there is no discussing just vomiting. Theres a huge difference.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
First confession: I've been in couples counseling. Second confession: Where there's heated disagreement in a relationship, there's passion, and that's far better than indifference.

The discourse here has gotten nasty of late but it's nevertheless indicative of a fan base that feels passion over its team. It's when it stops that you have something to worry over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.