Mullen Introductory Press Conference Thread: 3 PM EST

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don't equate supporting the new coach--whose staff already looks light years better than previous years--with being ok with mediocrity. He's hired now. If he turns out to be mediocre, he'll be run out of town, likely along with his pal AD. But the toxicity at this point just doesn't serve anyone, imo.

The ut job looks like an absolutely horrible place to coach. Not because their fans want to win, but because they become so irrational that they don't even look like human beings any more. What happened yesterday is really historic, and not in a good way. There's passion and then there's insanity. I don't want to be perceived as anything like that. We have Mullen, there are real reasons to believe he could be successful here, and I think people need to relax a bit. We've talked about cleaning house at the highest level. If DM succeeds, great. If not, a 4th straight bad hire will accomplish that cleaning. In any event, I think we stop being embarrassed on a weekly basis and up the talent level for the next guy.

On a national level, this is viewed as a great hire. And not just because our rivals want us down. It's a general sentiment. Not Kelly, not Frost, but really good nonetheless. For us to have differing views on it is understandable. But some of these reactions make us look like the crazy people in Knoxville who can't get out of their own way.

No it's not. Knowledgeable fans know Mullen sucks. Talking heads are slobbering over him, meanwhile a guy I work with who is a huge Miami fan sent me a text as soon as he heard it saying "congrats on Mullen" just waiting for me to explode back a reply then he was sending LOL's saying "I thought you would feel that way, we wouldn't even give the guy an interview LOL." I was like, "yeah, F-off, Clemson's going to destroy you and I can almost guarantee you finish with a 3 game losing streak, it's what Richt does."

Point is plenty of fans of our rivals know this is a crap hire, but it's clear you guys have talked yourself into believing in the Mighty Mullet.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He lost to Saban 9 times in a row. You know he's going to be motivated to kick Bama's teeth in once he has the players.
Good luck with that. First of all he will never sniff the SECCG so it will have to be in the regular season, and he can't beat a team with equal talent and he's a mediocre recruiter so how exactly is he kicking in Saban's teeth?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Good luck with that. First of all he will never sniff the SECCG so it will have to be in the regular season, and he can't beat a team with equal talent and he's a mediocre recruiter so how exactly is he kicking in Saban's teeth?
His plan is to win. He expects to win like he did before. His schemes and play calls beat Saban before. He believes he'll beat him again when he has equal players. He'll need to get top ten recruiting classes every year for starters. He knows this. He expects to get it done.

We'll see if he can do it. I hated Cousin Eddie as much as everyone else, but he's Coach Mullen now, so all is forgiven.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We'll see if he can do it. I hated Cousin Eddie as much as everyone else, but he's Coach Mullen now, so all is forgiven.

Okay...So yay Coach Dahmer? He's a Gator now! All hail Coach Putin! He's a Gator now? You hated him before but since he was hired by an incompetent...all hail Mullen? That makes no sense.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Okay...So yay Coach Dahmer? He's a Gator now! All hail Coach Putin! He's a Gator now? You hated him before but since he was hired by an incompetent...all hail Mullen? That makes no sense.
It wasn't our decision to hire him, but we're stuck with him. You must examine the contrarian viewpoint.

Should we forgive his wife for saying Gators fans are crazy... uh, duh.
Should we forgive him for saying going to Gainesville is a lateral move? Yes, he was sh!t-talking on behalf of his team. It was well played.

Do you realize that idolized Spurrier and wears a visor in honor of him (like many coaches.).

Bottom line is... if he wins, everyone will love him no matter what.
If he loses, you can take comfort in knowing that he was a loser all along. Well done.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No it's not. Knowledgeable fans know Mullen sucks. Talking heads are slobbering over him, meanwhile a guy I work with who is a huge Miami fan sent me a text as soon as he heard it saying "congrats on Mullen" just waiting for me to explode back a reply then he was sending LOL's saying "I thought you would feel that way, we wouldn't even give the guy an interview LOL." I was like, "yeah, F-off, Clemson's going to destroy you and I can almost guarantee you finish with a 3 game losing streak, it's what Richt does."

Point is plenty of fans of our rivals know this is a crap hire, but it's clear you guys have talked yourself into believing in the Mighty Mullet.

When I say “national”, yes I mean people who actually know college football and can see things objectively. I don’t mean rival fans, especially hurricanes who are typically about as educated on football as a retarded goat. May want to ask him why such a horrible coach had a 1-1 head-to-head record against Richt at uga, while using MissSt talent. I’m sure the insightful response you’ll receive will blow you away.

Seriously, racking up a 74% winning percentage at a school with ever advantage imaginable, is just light years better than 60% with a program that doesn’t enjoy a single one.

Ftr, I don’t view this as a homerun hire by any means, and will not be surprised if we’re back in this position 3-4 years from now. But I don’t see it as a crap hire either. I’m just not interested in being miserable about this until I’m given no choice. And what’s more annoying than anything is being criticized for trying to see the positives in a situation that hasn’t even officially begun.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
How did we learn SS isn't that guy? Just curious. Foley made the past hires and put facilities in the dumpster. SS is moving facilities forward and has made TWO hires (football and women's basketball) and there's almost no data to support that either one is a failure in their current roles at UF.

Maybe I missed the confirmation - but we did give him 7 million a year to come here correct? That is insanity. He has a losing record in conference and against ranked teams as a ranked team. Yes, I know it is the State of Mississippi and his talent never even sniffed the levels of his opponents. But you don't pay that guy 7 million unless you are out of options. It really seems like this was an "Oh Sh1t!" plan. You shouldn't be an AD at a school like Florida if you can't manage resources and time better than this. I'm glad the basketball team is looking really good - but we need an absolute seismic event in the football program and this move is not that move. This move reeks of desperation - and honestly it is his biggest hire to date.

I really want to be wrong. I love the Gators. I want Mullen to be successful - I just don't see that as a realistic expectation given the track record.

**EDIT - I see it is 6 million. That is not much better.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
He's completing full sentences and isn't just drifting off into pointless blather. So that's a start.

I also like that he isn't doing the overplayed "we're gonna do it the right way" routine, essentially building in excuses from the start. He said multiple times--this is about getting the UF program back to a championship level. That's what's most important. Emphasized it several times.
And yet...I found him somewhat evasive on the question about he and his wife's past comments about UF.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
When I say “national”, yes I mean people who actually know college football and can see things objectively. I don’t mean rival fans, especially hurricanes who are typically as educated on football as a retarded goat. May want to ask him why such a horrible coach had a 1-1 head-to-head record against Richt at uga, while using MissSt talent. I’m sure the insightful response you’ll receive will blow you away.

Seriously, racking up a 74% winning percentage at a school with ever advantage imaginable, is just light years better than 60% with a program that doesn’t a single one.

Ftr, I don’t view this a homerun hire by any means, and will not be surprised if we’re back in this position 3-4 years from now. But I don’t see it as a crap hire either. I’m just not interested in being miserable about this until I’m given no choice. And what’s more annoying than anything is being criticized for trying to see the positives in a situation that hasn’t even officially begun.
You think Mullen is a better coach than Richt? Miami's recruiting classes are crap and they are a game away from the playoff.

I understand supporting Mullen because he is our head coach, I really do. But I can't do it because if I hated the weasel before we hired him, I can't suddenly like him now. That's the definition of two-faced.

But I see you as a very logical poster so am surprised you are trying to using his record to try to prop up his achievements. He set the all time record in AP poll futility, worse than Chump, worse than Mac, worse than Holgorson, worse than Rich Rod, etc etc etc. What part of all time worst coach in AP history in Ranked vs Ranked games do you not understand? That's where you prove your ability, not beating unranked bottom feeders and Mullen has proven he sucks. Maybe he can turn it around. Maybe Muschamp will win an SEC Championship, but logic tells you neither will.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
y.

Seriously, racking up a 74% winning percentage at a school with ever advantage imaginable, is just light years better than 60% with a program that doesn’t enjoy a single one.

You want to go through his wins year by year? I dare you. You'll laugh. He has like 4 quality wins in 9 years. His record is built on beating no one.

Ftr, I don’t view this as a homerun hire by any means, and will not be surprised if we’re back in this position 3-4 years from now.

Expand please...why do you feel this way?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I guess you could say I'm in the holiday spirit .... He's our Cousin/Coach now. I love Eddie. He brought home the boss. He'll kidnap Saban for us and we'll win.

cousin-eddie-every-famiy-has-one-meme-crunch-com-8811290.png

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Equating a cannibalistic serial killer or dictator to a college football coach doesn't quite make sense, but that's what makes you you.

I-Have-a-big-head-and-little-arms.gif

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm kind of depending on his 9 years of HC practice has made him ready to take the Ferrari keys. The horses are here to be recruited if he has his staff hierarchy tuned and obedient. Guess we get to see what organization and executive skills he's learned from his masters and play in the league. Deep in our heart we have a fantasy he's a patch on M3s sleeve, lol. Well Dan, here's your chance to really compete in the big shows against your 'friends'. Stars, discipline, identity, strength sounds like a good start to me. I'm ready to ride if you can drive. Go Gators!

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I cheer for every coach when they first get here I have new optimism. I had it with Zook, Urban, Muschamp, Mcelwain and now with Mullen. That does not mean I thought we could have done better with some of the choices? Yes but I support anyone who chooses to lead this great team and realize when it's time to move on. sometimes I hold on to hope for too long. Yes like all of you I see the potential of a Kelly or Frost hire but they both chose to embarrass us publicly. Kelly more than Frost but I mean not even giving us the courtesy to listen. I hope Mullen has Sabanesq type success here and Frost and Kelly lose every game and always look back to this year as the biggest mistake of their coaching careers. So let's band together and support our coach and eachother. GO GATORS!!!
:chomp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.