New head coaching candidates

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly would be my ideal candidate but I think with his success so far at the Eagles that he won't be eager to leave the NFL anytime soon.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n60138 said:
Don't forget that he had a ridiculous class in 2013. So he's not playing with the typical OM recruits. Tunsil, Treadwell, and Nkwmsmidechche would start anywhere. Point being, he's not quite on par with the West powers, but he's not far off. So I'm not surprised he'd being competitive. But I don't see it on par with what Frankin or Meyer did at VU and Utah.

That said, he'd be an upgrade.

The biggest difference between what Freeze is doing at Ole Miss and what Meyer and Franklin did at Utah and VU, is that Freeze built up that Ole Miss program from scratch during a time when the SEC West by itself was the toughest conference in the country. Utah wasn't in a major conference and Franklin got to Vandy when the East was down. Plus most (if not all) of Franklin's best players were guys the previous coach recruited. I'm sure Meyer didn't recruit most the guys he won with at Utah.

Ole Miss is relevent because of how Freeze recruited, and he did it while facing many of the best teams in the country. He would do very well recruiting for UF. He is young but has solid experience, knows the SEC, has shown that he can build up a program with recruiting, and he has been pretty successful as a head coach at Ole Miss and Ark St. Also, UF is a signifacant upgrade from Ole Miss, so I think realistically Freeze would jump on the opportunity to coach there.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SWGator said:
Hey, Terry Bowden was pretty good when he coached at AU:crazy:.......Some of the names mentioned on this thread are absolutely absurd. I'll pray for your livers. Art Briles is about the only one realistically who UF could get that could really turn up the program. Everyone else either would never take this job or comes with so much baggage there would be too much risk in the hire and quite frankly doesn't excite me and I don't think excites our potential recruits. Doesn't matter. Spurrier isn't coming back. The big M is our coach and we will live with it. I think a qb change is inevitable and I think it will improve our chances, but Bama is a great team and we are not and the outcome was disappointing but nothing I didn't envision. Let's just see if we can beat Tennessee before we give the reigns to Derek Dooley.
Lol art briles pretty much turned down Texas and the redskins job but you think hed come to Florida?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Based on some of your comments, I think Joe Pa would be an upgrade. Just prop him up on the sideline.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n59508 said:
Well, I managed to screw up that last thread too, so here it is again.

1) Has to have head coaching experience
2) Offensive minded (NO DC's)

Discuss.

I hear Vince Dooley's son, Derrick, is interested in giving the SEC another shot He never had a chance to present his coaching genius at Tennessee because of less than stellar players due to poor recruiting. Double D could just be a diamond in the rough.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York said:
oxrageous;n59508 said:
Well, I managed to screw up that last thread too, so here it is again.

1) Has to have head coaching experience
2) Offensive minded (NO DC's)

Discuss.

I hear Vince Dooley's son, Derrick, is interested in giving the SEC another shot He never had a chance to present his coaching genius at Tennessee because of less than stellar players due to poor recruiting. Double D could just be a diamond in the rough.
I like this idea. He didn't get a fair shake at UT.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorJB;n60250 said:
The biggest difference between what Freeze is doing at Ole Miss and what Meyer and Franklin did at Utah and VU, is that Freeze built up that Ole Miss program from scratch during a time when the SEC West by itself was the toughest conference in the country. Utah wasn't in a major conference and Franklin got to Vandy when the East was down. Plus most (if not all) of Franklin's best players were guys the previous coach recruited. I'm sure Meyer didn't recruit most the guys he won with at Utah.

Ole Miss is relevent because of how Freeze recruited, and he did it while facing many of the best teams in the country. He would do very well recruiting for UF. He is young but has solid experience, knows the SEC, has shown that he can build up a program with recruiting, and he has been pretty successful as a head coach at Ole Miss and Ark St. Also, UF is a signifacant upgrade from Ole Miss, so I think realistically Freeze would jump on the opportunity to coach there.

Great points. Thanks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Alvin York;n60574 said:

I heard he spent much of his time teaching your payers how to properly take a shower.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
deuce said:
Based on some of your comments, I think Joe Pa would be an upgrade. Just prop him up on the sideline.
I bet it would take a while for anyone to notice the difference.

Aug 5, 2014
For what it's worth, my take is that we obviously have problems and just getting to a bowl may prove problematic. Once/if Foley pulls the trigger on this debacle (his doing mind you) he simply cannot afford to go the unproven coordinator route and will probably skip the hot shot "small school" type of coach. It almost has to be a proven guy at a big program. Remember, Saban went to LSU from MSU after he had a nice little run there. How sad is it that we would all be drooling over getting MSU's coach right now..

A program being run into the ground day by day, game by game..............

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
soflagator said:
Alvin York;n60574 said:

I heard he spent much of his time teaching your payers how to properly take a shower.
No, it was oral hygene first. He was trying to teach them how to brush their tooth. It was too late as the season and his career ended by the time they would've learned..

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
A Gator Looks at Forty said:
For what it's worth, my take is that we obviously have problems and just getting to a bowl may prove problematic. Once/if Foley pulls the trigger on this debacle (his doing mind you) he simply cannot afford to go the unproven coordinator route and will probably skip the hot shot "small school" type of coach. It almost has to be a proven guy at a big program. Remember, Saban went to LSU from MSU after he had a nice little run there. How sad is it that we would all be drooling over getting MSU's coach right now..

A program being run into the ground day by day, game by game..............
Elmer Fudd would be good.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SWGator said:
Hey, Terry Bowden was pretty good when he coached at AU:crazy:.......Some of the names mentioned on this thread are absolutely absurd. I'll pray for your livers. Art Briles is about the only one realistically who UF could get that could really turn up the program. Everyone else either would never take this job or comes with so much baggage there would be too much risk in the hire and quite frankly doesn't excite me and I don't think excites our potential recruits. Doesn't matter. Spurrier isn't coming back. The big M is our coach and we will live with it. I think a qb change is inevitable and I think it will improve our chances, but Bama is a great team and we are not and the outcome was disappointing but nothing I didn't envision. Let's just see if we can beat Tennessee before we give the reigns to Derek Dooley.
Where did you get that t-gator? There were rumors about Briles to Texas or Skins but I don't think he was offered or maybe even contacted by either of those two organizations. Texas contacted Strong first and he took the job. I don't think the Skins ever called him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, I've compiled three lists of prospects, beginning with most likely (PRIME):

PRIME:
Mularkey
Schottenheimer
Petrino
Mullen

FRINGE:
Franklin
Gruden
Roper

OUT THERE:
Briles
Kingsbury
Fitzgerald
Gundy
Spurrier
Norvell
Kirby Smart

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
PRIME:[/COLOR]
Mularkey
Schottenheimer
Petrino
Mullen

FRINGE:
Franklin
Gruden
Roper

OUT THERE:
Briles
Kingsbury
Fitzgerald
Gundy
Spurrier
Norvell
Kirby Smart
Mularkey will not be a candidate imo. I would also put Fitzgerald and Gundy as fringe guys. But other than that I would say a decent list.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
PRIME:[/COLOR]
Mularkey
Schottenheimer
Petrino
Mullen

FRINGE:
Franklin
Gruden
Roper

OUT THERE:
Briles
Kingsbury
Fitzgerald
Gundy
Spurrier
Norvell
Kirby Smart
I would also throw Todd Graham on that list even though I'd rather see an offensive guy in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator