Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mexican...
images

Spaniard...
Sergio_Garcia_1678221c.jpg
Unfair comparison. One is an athlete, the other a known user of drugs at one point, plus the wide age difference.

Otherwise, same skin tone :dance:

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I tried to put I was of Hispanic ethnicity when I applied for college. They didn't allow it :lol: So, there is a difference.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Had some spectacular finger foods while getting drunk around the pool a couple weeks ago. Made them larger scale for dinner tonite. Armadillo eggs. Goat cheese/mozz/cheddar mix, on a halved pablano pepper, wrapped in jimmy dean breakfast sausage.

Didn't have enough for the last less spicy pepper for the babies.

Went just a tad thick I the sausage layer. Turned out great for a 45 minute dinner.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Those look awesome. I'm thinkin maybe thinning the sausage layer and rollin them in a cornmeal batter, putting them on a stick and dropping those babies into the Fry Daddy. Skeet some datil mustard on em.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Those look awesome. I'm thinkin maybe thinning the sausage layer and rollin them in a cornmeal batter, putting them on a stick and dropping those babies into the Fry Daddy. Skeet some datil mustard on em.
Say this again in the, what has become, vegan thread in the PF. Alcoholica will love it :lmao2:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Had some spectacular finger foods while getting drunk around the pool a couple weeks ago. Made them larger scale for dinner tonite. Armadillo eggs. Goat cheese/mozz/cheddar mix, on a halved pablano pepper, wrapped in jimmy dean breakfast sausage.

Didn't have enough for the last less spicy pepper for the babies.

Went just a tad thick I the sausage layer. Turned out great for a 45 minute dinner.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright Heavy and Ray... I need some research on these bison ribs. Just about every website I can find uses a quick sear then a oven braise technique. These things look like that rack in the Flinstones, so I aint cooking these ****ers in the oven. I have 4 racks, so I want to do a test run with 1 this weekend. From everything I can find, they are ultra lean. So drying them out is the issue and is why everyone braises them. I saw one thread on a site where a guy places bacon on the rack about the ribs so the fat kept rendering onto the ribs and smoked them the whole way. I dont know about that, I dont want them to taste like bacon.

I am thinking simple salt and pepper and light veggie oil. Searing them first. Smoking them for an hour at 275-300. Then braising them on the grill until ready. Maybe 1-2 hours more. What's your input?

edit. Sorry... just saw where you basically posted that exact suggestion earlier. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
do you ever spritz the meat with Apple Juice while smoking?

when i smoke my chicken in my offset smoker, i keep a pan of 50/50 water/apple juice over the fire, and spritz with apple juice a few times thru out the process. my chicken always stays moist this way. I've never really noticed it affecting the flavor.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
brad - I'm not sure about the sear/smoke/braise, never done that, just smoke for a couple hours to get the smoke in, then braise it in half porter beer/half water with onion/carrot/celery mix for a little more flavor. make sure you get that boiling before you put it in whatever you're braising in - if not you'll be cooling the meat and it will take forever to get it heated up. if you have a hack saw, cut your test rack in half as even-meated as possible and try both and see which you like more or if there is every a difference - which is what Im getting at - you'll probably be wasting your time with the sear if youre going to braise. have you check bbq brethren? that's a HUGE board, someone there has had to do bison ribs and been asked for feedback.

trux - never spritzed chicken and never had it dry, take it off at 160 and you'll never be dry. not sure what a few spritzes of apple juice will do for moisture, especially if the chicken has skin on. I used to spritz pork but I did a mop and a non mopped right next to each other and didn't notice anything other than the mopped one had worse bark, which is the best part of pulled pork in my opinion.

edit 1: take a pic of your rack and post it for the world to see

edit 2: what are you thinking as far as how you want to serve them? texture you want? fall apart or still need a knife? that will affect your braise time. when I do short ribs they braise for 4 or 5 hours and are right between falling off the bone but still needing a knife to cut them. just depends on how meaty they are.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
heavy, I have only done boneless skinless breasts so far (as far as chicken goes) & I think those can dry out pretty quick if you're not careful.
I saw a lot of pro guys doing the apple juice spritz so that's why I started doing it. Same with the pan of Apple juice/water over the fire.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would consider treating it like a brisket if its that lean. Maybe use a little beef broth in the foil.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright.... The first test round of bison ribs from AllenBrothers.com.

Not huge, each rack was 2lbs. Here they are next to a dollar bill for size comparison. I wanted something like they put on the side of the car in the flintstones.
image.jpeg

Took them out of the fridge 2 hours early. Then a little olive oil, kosher salt, and course pepper. Apple smoke at 275. At 90 minutes:
image.jpeg

They say these are ultra lean so drying them out is the issue. You can see the foil in the bottom rack.

After 2 hours, I placed them in a tray with a porter/water and coarsely chopped carrots, onions, celery.

image.jpeg

Tightly seal and braised at 250 for 2 more hours. I crinkled up the tray to raise the ribs higher.

Direct grilled some corn with butter and salt.

image.jpeg

The flavor of these ribs were off the charts. Everyone loved them. Still a little tough though. Probably needed another hour or braise at a little higher temp.

I cant wait to cook the other 3 racks for guests next weekend.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Alright.... The first test round of bison ribs from AllenBrothers.com.

Not huge, each rack was 2lbs. Here they are next to a dollar bill for size comparison. I wanted something like they put on the side of the car in the flintstones.
View attachment 3094

Took them out of the fridge 2 hours early. Then a little olive oil, kosher salt, and course pepper. Apple smoke at 275. At 90 minutes:
View attachment 3096

They say these are ultra lean so drying them out is the issue. You can see the foil in the bottom rack.

After 2 hours, I placed them in a tray with a porter/water and coarsely chopped carrots, onions, celery.

View attachment 3097

Tightly seal and braised at 250 for 2 more hours. I crinkled up the tray to raise the ribs higher.

Direct grilled some corn with butter and salt.

View attachment 3098

The flavor of these ribs were off the charts. Everyone loved them. Still a little tough though. Probably needed another hour or braise at a little higher temp.

I cant wait to cook the other 3 racks for guests next weekend.

And then this is how I imagine Brad relaxing after this great meal:

tumblr_inline_mzo41hPEWj1qzeyud.gif

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
heavy, I have only done boneless skinless breasts so far (as far as chicken goes) & I think those can dry out pretty quick if you're not careful.
I saw a lot of pro guys doing the apple juice spritz so that's why I started doing it. Same with the pan of Apple juice/water over the fire.
get chicken with skin on it, you wont regret it. just dry it out over night or at least a few hours before you put it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.