GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014

Thats what my ol' Lady says

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'll give him year 3 but I don't wanna hear about Nuss being the problem and he should get more time after making Nuss his scape goat after this season.
He hired him and stuck with him after 2 100+ seasons the offense is on him.

This. When you zero-in on an OC, and insist on sticking with him for 3 years, you have to live and die by that. Changing OC's just buys time, kills any sort of continuity with players and systems, and is one of the reasons we are where we are.

And to the 3-9 scenario, no chance any HC deserves to keep his position if that happens. He may have built up a measure of equity with the Atl trips, and I do give him some leniency because of what he inherited, but anything south of 8 wins should have him replaced. And I'm not sure he should be safe even there(8), especially if the offense resembles most of the past 2 seasons. As someone above mentioned, if we're continuing down the "14-10 over VU/Uk" pattern, a change is in order.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're going 3-9? Better fire the players too.

I'm just going to wait for the season. A bunch of you are way too high strung out over all of this. Are you having to pay more for your mortgage because we didn't win the SEC? I hope he stays another 20yrs, just so I can hear the bytching and moaning. Bunch of 18-22 year olds define your existence.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This. When you zero in on an OC, insist on sticking with him for 3 years, you have to live and die by that. Changing OC's just buys time, kills any sort of continuity with players and systems, and is one of the reasons we are where we are.

And to the 3-9 scenario, no chance any HC deserves to keep his position if that happens. He may have built up a measure of equity with the Atl trips, and I do give him some leniency because of what he inherited, but anything south of 8 wins should have him replaced. And I'm not sure he should be safe even there(8), especially if the offense resembles most of the past 2 seasons. As someone above mentioned, if we're continuing down the "14-10 over VU/Uk" pattern, a change is in order.

This is true post 11' and 13' when we changed the style of ball we wanted to play. Mixing a hodgepodge of guys fit for a spread in a pro style attack under Weis, and then Pro style type backs like Jones/KT into what Roper ran as a spread was never realistically going to work, and frankly was unfair to the kids. Obviously the results weren't pretty, and most (yourself included) could see the plan as flawed from the beginning. The difference between then and now is that it's Mac's offense. Getting rid of DN wouldn't change anything in regards to scheme, continuity with players/system etc. Nor would we be asking player's to do something they don't do well. Like running Demps and Rainey in the A gap, or starting Dunbar year after year. Personally I think he has a better chance of sticking around here for years to come if he cans Doug, and decides the call the plays himself (with help upstairs of course).

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I stand with him and think things are moving in a positive direction. As was noted above, I'm more interested in seeing progress at QB than worried about the final record. I want us contending annually and it takes time to get there.

And I enjoy Swamp Donkey's rants, so he's a gift that keeps giving.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
1st tier Saban/Meyer - Psychotic sociopaths
2nd tier Stoops /Bowden/Miles – Guys who eventually win it all but not consistently and just aren’t 1st tier
3rd tier Richt/Fulmer - Guys who even with talent will lose one game that matters every season
4th tier Most everyone else
5th tier Zook/Chump – Idiots

Mac’s not a 1st tier guy because there are very few of those types. And winning isn’t only about coaching or Spurrier would never had lost a game. You’ve got to get your hands very dirty on the recruiting trail. You have to be OCD about the details of every unit on the team and you have to constantly be looking for ways to push the envelope and evolve. Few coaches are that crazy.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I voted that this is his make or break year, but I wouldn't have lost any sleep if he were fired after last year. Thought he did a great job in 2015, but last year had too many disappointments. The offense must make major strides this year if Mac wants to prove that he's capable of being the head coach.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I didn't agree 100% with any of the choices so I went ham sammich. Year 3 certainly is critical but it also depends on who we beat/don't beat and how the offense plays. He doesn't have to run the table but he needs to beat our rivals, beat FSU, dramatically improve the W/L record against ranked teams and the offense needs to light it up. Also, no blowout losses this year, especially against teams like Arkansas. If he does these things and goes 10-2 regular season then I'd say he should probably get a 4th year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I stand with the QBs -- that way I stand the best chance at starting.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't agree 100% with any of the choices so I went ham sammich. Year 3 certainly is critical but it also depends on who we beat/don't beat and how the offense plays. He doesn't have to run the table but he needs to beat our rivals, beat FSU, dramatically improve the W/L record against ranked teams and the offense needs to light it up. Also, no blowout losses this year, especially against teams like Arkansas. If he does these things and goes 10-2 regular season then I'd say he should probably get a 4th year.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
If Mac goes 10-2, he'll probably get another raise and extension!
That being said, anything shy of 9 wins will be a disappointment (8-4 is not acceptable with our favorable home/away schedule). IMO, the only way Mac doesn't get a 4th year is if the offense remains stagnant (meaning he doesn't have a viable QB yet and we're still ranked 100+ on offense) and we literally crap the bed with 3 to 4 wins (while I didn't think that was possible for any Gator football team in this era, Chump showed us it is), and even then, Mac'll still likely get a 4th year whether he deserves it or not.
I'm rooting for Mac, but he needs to produce an offense with a pulse and show us he's a coach worth keeping around. We can't afford to take a step back.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
2nd tier Stoops /Bowden/Miles – Guys who eventually win it all but not consistently and just aren’t 1st tier
3rd tier Richt/Fulmer - Guys who even with talent will lose one game that matters every season

Mac’s not a 1st tier guy because there are very few of those types. And winning isn’t only about coaching or Spurrier would never had lost a game. You’ve got to get your hands very dirty on the recruiting trail. You have to be OCD about the details of every unit on the team and you have to constantly be looking for ways to push the envelope and evolve. Few coaches are that crazy.
What tier would you place Mac in? I'd say 4.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What tier would you place Mac in? I'd say 4.
So far, i dont see how anyone could say otherwise. Year one, 4 losses - lsu, fsu, bama, mich. Year two, 4 losses - tenn, ark, fsu, bama. Not interested in hearing about how bama and mich were post season losses because had they been wins mac supporters would be pumping them. A loss is a loss. Mac averages 4.0 of them per year. That's not 1st or 2nd for sure and while those in the 3rd tier have 4 a year periodically, they also have much better years and consistently better recruiting.

Now before all the pumpers riot, I'm not saying Mac IS 4th tier. He's only got a 2 year body of work at Florida to examine (although his previous record as an HC doesnt do much to improve the narrative). Despite that, right now, the numbers say hes 4th tier regardless of what your soft heart tells you he is. Can he improve that going forward? Yep. But as Parcells accurately stated and as of right now, "you are what your record says you are."

Murph265

May 30, 2017

I'm with you on this one! But it leads me to the question- Who's the next guy? Who's the worldbeater sitting out there that is positively going to lead us to an SEC championship? I just don't see him out there. Mac can run a team and coach. He is just not a great recruiter. If one of our QB's lights it up we will be fine. I like Mac and vote to keep him as long as he doesn't wear socks.:naughty:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Looking at it at "field-level", bring in "Wonder-coach" for 2019. How many of our highest recruits of Mac do we lose. Unlikely we sign lots of greater * recruits with a newbee HC & staff. So "Wonder-hire" will be lucky to win 9 games like Mac did plus if lucky enough to go 8-4, he'll be doing it with Mac's players. Then in 2020 he's again lucky to go 8-4 again with essentially Mac's kids (=2 years already and we don't yet know what we've got?). 2021 "Wonder"-hire now has his boys, mostly (sophs & juniors) + HC X's seniors .... dare we expect 10 wins? ... could it be 7-5 or 4-8 like that great Texas "coach-in-waiting"?

Looking at it with stark 20/20 from the availability of "Wondrous HC hires", so confident to uproot family 'cause each is certain that 2 -3 years is all the time he needs to surpass FSU & Bama while beating LSU too? The whole CFB coaching community will not disregard how UF treats its present COY HC in deciding UF is an ideal or even decent destination.

Mac needs a best OC, so NussNord need begone. Could say, "look what he's done with those loadstones around his neck". That CIW from Texas one season went 11-2, then 4-8 the next.?? Is it possible our post-Mac hire could go there? Yes it is.

BTW, this is the make/break year for Kirby Smart -= to win 10 games for UGa(his 2nd year) 'cause after this year is when the Nay-Sayers pass condemnation final termination judgment = does anyone 'hear' how implausible that sounds when put upon Kirby Smart. Hell, his first year falls behind Mac by a longshot and Kirby did not follow Messedchomp.??

Sum-up, patience is more likely to pay off than severe impatience. Can't banish an HC 'til his seasonal W-L records are unacceptable to the "coaching-world" with his dismissal understandable to diffuse & defuse potential hires.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Digressing off the Mac topic to focus on your post for just a moment, I'd say that if you have Miles in Tier 2, I think Fulmer would have to be Tier 2 also. Fat Phil won a NC like Les did. Also, I think both coaches would have each won at least one more natty had they not had the bad luck of having to compete every year against 2 of the greatest coaches of all time in Spurrier and Saban, IMO.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
:lol:
If Mac goes 10-2, he'll probably get another raise and extension!
That being said, anything shy of 9 wins will be a disappointment (8-4 is not acceptable with our favorable home/away schedule). IMO, the only way Mac doesn't get a 4th year is if the offense remains stagnant (meaning he doesn't have a viable QB yet and we're still ranked 100+ on offense) and we literally crap the bed with 3 to 4 wins (while I didn't think that was possible for any Gator football team in this era, Chump showed us it is), and even then, Mac'll still likely get a 4th year whether he deserves it or not.
I'm rooting for Mac, but he needs to produce an offense with a pulse and show us he's a coach worth keeping around. We can't afford to take a step back.

I completely agree.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't agree 100% with any of the choices so I went ham sammich. Year 3 certainly is critical but it also depends on who we beat/don't beat and how the offense plays.

Uhhhh...you sound like Year 3 might be a make it or break it year for him. No?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator