Where do you stand with Mac?

• Total voters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I will say anyone who thinks we can lose 5 or 6 games this year and keep this coach is off their rocker.
We will lose 5 games at least and we will keep this coach. Book it.

He doesn't have his QB, no one can win with injuries, brick by brick, just give him time, need four years to even START recruiting, blah blah blah.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is a virtual certainty that a 4th year is going to happen unless he just completely losses the team, because of the contract extension.

Year 3 is make or break, not in the sense that it could cause his immediate termination, but that in this season the results will dictate what year 4 means. A decent season, but improvement on the last 2 seasons, provides a potential spring board for growth.
Lateral or decrease and year 4 is hot seat time.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I just dont see us losing to Michigan, they lost a bunch and we have a healthy number of experienced guys coming back this year.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just dont see us losing to Michigan, they lost a bunch and we have a healthy number of experienced guys coming back this year.
I can, in fact, unless we see really good things from fall practices, I've penciled in Mich as a loss, to go along with FSU. I'm on the fence with a couple of others, and all will come down to who the QB is. LDR is a guarantee for 5-6 losses.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like for you to go on record as to which "5 games at least" that we will lose this season.
Michigan, Kentucky, LSU, FSU, Bama. I've said this many times before including all the prediction threads.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I can, in fact, unless we see really good things from fall practices, I've penciled in Mich as a loss, to go along with FSU. I'm on the fence with a couple of others, and all will come down to who the QB is. LDR is a guarantee for 5-6 losses.
QB is a ? mark right now, but the pieces are there offensively to see significant improvement.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I stand with him and think things are moving in a positive direction. As was noted above, I'm more interested in seeing progress at QB than worried about the final record. I want us contending annually and it takes time to get there.

And I enjoy Swamp Donkey's rants, so he's a gift that keeps giving.

... or the glib that keeps on glibbing?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Michigan, Kentucky, LSU, FSU, Bama. I've said this many times before including all the prediction threads.

I assumed donk was talking regular season.

Kentucky?? Say what now? UK but not Tennessee? Not UGA? I dont buy it.
I don't necessarily buy LSU either, though LSU is a game I am on the fence about...depends on QB, imo for that one.

I have Mich as a loss unless Zaire or Franks show up big time in fall practice.
I don't think we beat FSU regardless who starts.
LSU AND UGA coin toss games with perhaps UT as well, but I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled out 2 of the 3, or even all 3, again depends on the QB entirely.
Every other game is a W.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QB is a ? mark right now, but the pieces are there offensively to see significant improvement.
Mich aint gonna be no pushover, they have plenty of the team with experience. The UF QB is going to have to have a very good game for us to win that one.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I think he could've been fired and it have been justifiable. This year is a make or break. I'm in that part of the year that I usually feel pretty good about the team. It's my "Kool-Aid time". I actually really think the team has what it takes to be the SEC Champs. I don't think the D will be set back that far from the losses of key players. And the offense has a bunch of potential weapons. The schedule is set up pretty nicely too.
Mac is on shaky ground. I don't really like his aw shucks crap and I'm definitely questioning his decision making all around.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I assumed donk was talking regular season.

Kentucky?? Say what now? UK but not Tennessee? Not UGA? I dont buy it.
I don't necessarily buy LSU either, though LSU is a game I am on the fence about...depends on QB, imo for that one.

I have Mich as a loss unless Zaire or Franks show up big time in fall practice.
I don't think we beat FSU regardless who starts.
LSU AND UGA coin toss games with perhaps UT as well, but I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled out 2 of the 3, or even all 3, again depends on the QB entirely.
Every other game is a W.
You're right. It's 5 in the regular season.
Michigan (Out coached by Harbaugh)
Kentucky (the streak will be broken in Lexington)
LSU (motivation after last year)
Georgia (We are due and Eason will be great)
FSU (not even close. we might get a TD this year)

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're right. It's 5 in the regular season.
Michigan (Out coached by Harbaugh)
Kentucky (the streak will be broken in Lexington)
LSU (motivation after last year)
Georgia (We are due and Eason will be great)
FSU (not even close. we might get a TD this year)
Can't argue with UM, but probably closer than you expect. We possibly win, but not expected.
UK - until they actually do it, I won't expect it
LSU - they still don't have a QB and we are playing here. We beat them in BR with a broken down defense. I expect a win.
UGA - Don't think Eason will be great, but better than what we have. If Chubb is healthy they probably are due.
FSU - um yeah.

So I see us at 9-3. I can see it being worse or possibley 10-2. If we decide to go with Franks, I can see lots of TO's and losses to UM, FSU, LSU, UGA, and possibly another. I just don't see Mac letting him play if he can't protect the ball. He can grind out 8 or 9 wins if we have a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and if the running game comes together. And I don't see Mac losing the team like Muschamp.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
We had this line of thinking with muschamp. Look what giving him a 4th year did. Made this job so great we ended up with another loser.
There is a huge difference there. Muschamp had a steady decline each season he coached. Mac has not. Yes, progress needs to be shown, but comparing those two coaches is asinine.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Can't argue with UM, but probably closer than you expect. We possibly win, but not expected.
UK - until they actually do it, I won't expect it
LSU - they still don't have a QB and we are playing here. We beat them in BR with a broken down defense. I expect a win.
UGA - Don't think Eason will be great, but better than what we have. If Chubb is healthy they probably are due.
FSU - um yeah.

So I see us at 9-3. I can see it being worse or possibley 10-2. If we decide to go with Franks, I can see lots of TO's and losses to UM, FSU, LSU, UGA, and possibly another. I just don't see Mac letting him play if he can't protect the ball. He can grind out 8 or 9 wins if we have a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and if the running game comes together. And I don't see Mac losing the team like Muschamp.
What about UT? What about A&M? We win about 25% of the time against teams that are ranked, so I'm thinking 7-5 or 8-4 in the regular season.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I think the Michigan game will be a key indicator imo. I dont want to hear any more excuses about QB or whatever in that game. We should be the hungrier and more motivated team in that game given the fact that they beat us 41-7 the last time we played them. A loss to them after they lost a significant number of players this past year will be pretty bad imo. No reason why we cant win that game.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I voted this year would be make or break, but I really don't think he gets fired unless there is a collapse. I do think that a muddling 8 or 9 wins and a continuation of the pedestrian offense further erodes the confidence remaining in all but the most hopeful of fans. To be clear, I don't wish failure on us for the sake of a coaching change, but I am less than enamored with Mac. I like that he cares for the players, but his personality is off-putting and is only professional to me in a lower-tier, MEAC kind of way. Spurrier was both witty and ruthless and could back-up his play. Mac comes across as just silly quite frequently and can often expose a soft under belly and a poor work ethic (especially where recruiting is concerned). Worst of all, as has been repeated, is just how flaccid our offenses are, particularly in the biggest games. I can't get past the lack of fulfillment of the offensive guru tag that he arrived with...and it ain't just Nuss.

Much of this is my opinion, but I've seen enough of the game from both a historic perspective as well as that of how it is transforming to be left with the feeling that he ain't the guy. I am appreciative of the two east titles (watered down as I may think they were), but so far Mac has IMO been most successful at gaining a big mattress stuffed with money for his big @ss to fall on at some point. But he had help cultivating this situation, so I guess I shouldn't begrudge him, even though I don't think it was deserved. It's past time for him to show some schematic and developmental acumen. To wit, how about we get Franks ready to play a real game and not have to rely on a third transfer at the QB position?

So, who do you get, sooner or later, when Mac's time is done? Recent history tells us that the top tier guys are difficult to hire in Gainesville. Is it because of internal (AD, facilities, stricter admission standards, etc.) or external (impatient fan base, F$U/other rivals rising, a booster network that is not as potent or in touch as once before, etc.) factors, or a combination? Whatever the reason, I'd be satisfied if the AD, at the appropriate time, did his due diligence and found a younger, more energetic HC who is a solid recruiter to hire and develop. The blueprint of searching for Brad Pitt and then settling on Gary Busey is past worn out.

upload_2017-6-29_9-30-2.jpeg
images

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is a virtual certainty that a 4th year is going to happen unless he just completely losses the team, because of the contract extension.

Year 3 is make or break, not in the sense that it could cause his immediate termination, but that in this season the results will dictate what year 4 means. A decent season, but improvement on the last 2 seasons, provides a potential spring board for growth.
Lateral or decrease and year 4 is hot seat time.

Muschamp got a 4th year with a 4-8 record, and Mac would too if that ends up happening. The contract extension guarantees him a 4th year no matter how bad this season is. I'm not saying that's right. I'm saying that's what would happen. Hopefully though a losing record will never happen here again.

I think an 8 or 9 win season is likely this year, but 6-7 is very possible. The offense needs to average at least 13 more points/game in order for us to be competitive in all or our games this season, which will put us in the top 30 nationally in offense. Our depth at DT and LB and our inexperience in the secondary is about 3 losses right there. In 2007 we gave up an average of 24 points per game on defense, which then and today is around 40th in the nation. I don't think this year's defense will be any better than that so our offense really needs to be in the top 30's in the nation in order to compete.

Coincidentally after I typed this, I looked at FSU's numbers last year and they were around 30 nationally on offense and 40 nationally on defense. As much as I hate to say this, if we could be about as good or better as FSU was last year, then that would be a step in the right direction. Now I feel sick. :barfaway:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.