POLL: Where do you stand with Mac?

Where do you stand with Mac?

• Total voters

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm with you on this one! But it leads me to the question- Who's the next guy? Who's the worldbeater sitting out there that is positively going to lead us to an SEC championship? I just don't see him out there. Mac can run a team and coach. He is just not a great recruiter. If one of our QB's lights it up we will be fine. I like Mac and vote to keep him as long as he doesn't wear socks.:naughty:

That's the big question isn't it? And the next question is do you wait until an obvious tier 1 guy is available or do you just keep trading tier 2-3 guys?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Digressing off the Mac topic to focus on your post for just a moment, I'd say that if you have Miles in Tier 2, I think Fulmer would have to be Tier 2 also. Fat Phil won a NC like Les did. Also, I think both coaches would have each won at least one more natty had they not had the bad luck of having to compete every year against 2 of the greatest coaches of all time in Spurrier and Saban, IMO.
Yep you can move it around however you want. I actually had Fulmer in both tier 2 and tier 3. Maybe Fulmer and MIles are 2.5. Here's a head scratcher, Where does Spurrier belong?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yep you can move it around however you want. I actually had Fulmer in both tier 2 and tier 3. Maybe Fulmer and MIles are 2.5. Here's a head scratcher, Where does Spurrier belong?
Tier 1. He DOMINATED the SEC like no one had done since Bear Bryant.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even then I think he has done enough the past 2 seasons to get a 4th. If we fire coaches too quickly, no coach worth a count would take the job.
But if we keep shytty coaches then the program sucks and it's not the next guys fault when he sucks too, right?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Uhhhh...you sound like Year 3 might be a make it or break it year for him. No?

Close, no doubt. But not winning the SEC, for example, isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me if we do the other things I mentioned, including beat the Noles (and I want a good victory over them where we outplay them, not just beating them by happenstance if they dominate in every area other than the final score). Do those things and I'd grudgingly accept a loss in the SECCG if we're competitive in that game against, let's say Bama.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Personally I think he has a better chance of sticking around here for years to come if he cans Doug, and decides the call the plays himself (with help upstairs of course).
If he cant call his owns plays and make an great offense on his own then he has no business being our HC.

Even average OCs get HC jobs (see Butters). Even if we miraculously hired a great OC to replace Nusschump, then he would get hired the next year as an HC somewhere, no doubt.
Right now Butters is just Chump without the defense and recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's the big question isn't it? And the next question is do you wait until an obvious tier 1 guy is available or do you just keep trading tier 2-3 guys?
We dont have a tier 2 guy. Butters was Tier 2 in the WAC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're going 3-9? Better fire the players too.
I think that's impossible also. There are six gimme wins on the schedule. The team has to totally quit to lose any of those.

They certainly quit in November the last two years but I don't know if its to that point yet.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do those things and I'd grudgingly accept a loss in the SECCG if we're competitive in that game against, let's say Bama.
I think everyone recognizes this is not a championship team and most of us know this is not a championship coach.

just looking a little better than Eastern Michigan against the elite teams (and Arky and Tinerc) would be a great improvement.

We don't have top 10 players on offense but we should be top 20. SOS was top 10 with walk on Fat Dog at quarterback. That's just slightly better than Kentucky. Anything less is unacceptable. I don't give a damn about the neverebding excuses.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Even then I think he has done enough the past 2 seasons to get a 4th. If we fire coaches too quickly, no coach worth a count would take the job.
We had this line of thinking with muschamp. Look what giving him a 4th year did. Made this job so great we ended up with another loser.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
1st tier Saban/Meyer - Psychotic sociopaths
2nd tier Stoops /Bowden/Miles – Guys who eventually win it all but not consistently and just aren’t 1st tier
3rd tier Richt/Fulmer - Guys who even with talent will lose one game that matters every season
4th tier Most everyone else
5th tier Zook/Chump – Idiots

Mac’s not a 1st tier guy because there are very few of those types. And winning isn’t only about coaching or Spurrier would never had lost a game. You’ve got to get your hands very dirty on the recruiting trail. You have to be OCD about the details of every unit on the team and you have to constantly be looking for ways to push the envelope and evolve. Few coaches are that crazy.
Mac is somewhere between 3 and4 at best. The only reason i wont put him on richt or fulmers level is because he's possibly the worst recruiter in the sec.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely. You gotta keep swinging for the fences. We supposed to be mediocre forever? And if your gonna gonna have a tier 2-3guy he better be able to put some points on the board and have an entertaining brand of football.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely. You gotta keep swinging for the fences. We supposed to be mediocre forever? And if your gonna gonna have a tier 2-3guy he better be able to put some points on the board and have an entertaining brand of football.
We need a friggin recruiter! Even if our next hire is Zook-like, at least we will be loaded with talent.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just tired of watching an offense that looks like its never played organized sports. Seriously, the offense we've seen under mac is downright offensive.

Get it fixed or GTHO.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I will say anyone who thinks we can lose 5 or 6 games this year and keep this coach is off their rocker. It would only re enforce the theory that he has been winning with Muschamp's defensive players.....I personally suspect that this is the case but I'm willing to observe with an open mind...Realistically if things aren't looking any different by week 6 or 7, blowing out sh!tty teams and competing tooth and nail with the best teams, then the powers that be would be wise to at least form a think tank and start a list of some sort.....

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Mac will be here 2 more years, Strickland is waiting on Kiffin to polish himself at FAU before bringing him here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.