Predicting Florida's 2017 Record

If Will Grier is never suspended, is Butters still head coach in 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If what you're saying is true we would be 4-4 and out of any contention for even a divisional title in October....Mac would be TOAST.....I'm not disagreeing because I don't see us being significantly better than anyone on the schedule up to that point except N.Colorado. The other thing that would be a crushing blow is that it would all but ensure a 0-3 record against our rivals and nobody survives here after dropping a 6-6 turd with losses to all 3 rivals, nobody.....

Now here's the wild card in that scenario and a more likely one IMO....If we beat UT we would more than likely end up 7-5. At that point does McButters and staff get their walking papers? Or do we hear cry's of 2 out of 3 East Titles is the new UF standard? :lmao2:
Now before anyone chimes in with the "you're not a Gator fan" let me also say that if Mac somehow pulls 10 wins out of his a$$ this year I would say he probably deserves consideration for Coach of the Year, he will also have beaten 2 ranked teams to do so to get to that record....Not as likely of a scenario if you ask me based on what we have on paper going into this season. Prove me wrong Mac or take a hike is what I say.

Crete I think it will really have to go south for Mac to get Whacked and cut loose. You're scenario is a recipe for that to happen but I am reserved to the fact that if it gets bad, Mac gets the 2018 season. I more than anything hope that he makes vast improvement. But I am at the point we've got to see it on the field, period.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In this OP matter, I'm going qualitative. If somehow, someway, we have a QB emerge that can actually, you have to pinch yourself to believe it, throw the completed ball vertically >15 yards half dozen times a game (not the panic looking, herniated effort sideline to sideline nonsense of the past but move the chains now stuff), I see our ground game and offense rumble to 10-2, 9-3. Go Gators!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In this OP matter, I'm going qualitative. If somehow, someway, we have a QB emerge that can actually, you have to pinch yourself to believe it, throw the completed ball vertically >15 yards half dozen times a game (not the panic looking, herniated effort sideline to sideline nonsense of the past but move the chains now stuff), I see our ground game and offense rumble to 10-2, 9-3. Go Gators!
I see what you're saying about the passing game but it's gonna take a little bigger leap in the passing game to also make up for the drop off on defense. I'm not saying we are gonna be terrible on defense but there's no way you lose guys like Brantley, Davis, AA, Ivie, Wilson, Tabor and Maye(all 2& 3 year starters) and not drop off quite a bit....In other words we're going to have to score a heckuva lot more points to win game's against marginal teams like UK, UT, LSU, and Michigan. We won't be able get 14-17 points on the board and turtle up like the last 2 years....I'm not even including TAMU and FSU because I see both of them putting up close to 40 if not more.... Mac's gonna have to roll th dice and take the training wheels off one of the very inexperienced QB's and hope for the best. Imagine 2007 without Tebow and Harvin and that's about where we are with this team.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
6-6 or 7-5. Offense ranked in the 90s and defense in the 50s. Mac is given another year to "fix" things. Chip Kelly signs elsewhere

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I see what you're saying about the passing game but it's gonna take a little bigger leap in the passing game to also make up for the drop off on defense. I'm not saying we are gonna be terrible on defense but there's no way you lose guys like Brantley, Davis, AA, Ivie, Wilson, Tabor and Maye(all 2& 3 year starters) and not drop off quite a bit....In other words we're going to have to score a heckuva lot more points to win game's against marginal teams like UK, UT, LSU, and Michigan. We won't be able get 14-17 points on the board and turtle up like the last 2 years....I'm not even including TAMU and FSU because I see both of them putting up close to 40 if not more.... Mac's gonna have to roll th dice and take the training wheels off one of the very inexperienced QB's and hope for the best. Imagine 2007 without Tebow and Harvin and that's about where we are with this team.
I agree about the QBs. But I think our Def, (without too many injuries) is gonna still be pretty good.......fingers crossed

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
6-6 or 7-5. Offense ranked in the 90s and defense in the 50s. Mac is given another year to "fix" things. Chip Kelly signs elsewhere

50s? I doubt that - I think it was still in the 30s even during that 2007 season where it had so many problems.

Is he still available? If so I could see us getting him possibly if Mac somehow went 6-6 and no big team out west was looking for a coach. Kelly would want back in college after a year off I would think.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Defense won't be as good, offense better be better blah blah. That's all subjective. The question is how much worse and how much better. Last year we had the 6th ranked scoring defense and the 107th ranked scoring offense. So how much worse do you expect the defense to be 16th? 26th? 36th? Then how much better do you expect the offense to be able to get. I seriously doubt the defense falls out of the 20's and I can't remember the last time we were. The last time defenses had to respect our passing game was the first half of 2015 and at mid season we were ranked 60th in scoring offense (and 6-0). We lost two regular season games that year - once the passing game was gone. So with a passing game we have no worse than a 60th ranked offense and even with a realistic drop in defense to the mid 20's we're looking at 2 regular season losses. Plug in you're own assumptions.

Scoring Defense
6 th (UF) 16.8 ppg
16th (Army) 19.8 ppg (-3)
26th (Ohio) 22.6 ppg (-5.8)
36th (Vandy) 24 ppg (-7.2)

Scoring Offense
107 (UF) 23.9
77 (E.Car) 27 (+3.1)
60 (Utah) 29.8 (+5.9)
51 (Colo) 31.1 (+7.2)

Last edited:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Tough ones = texas a&m, FSU, georgia, LSU, michigan

These are all tough games but all are winnable. There are no games where you'd say "yeah we have no shot in that one. "

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
If the QB quandary is solved, 10-3. (+/- 1 game)

Or it may be the bourbon again.....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Defense won't be as good, offense better be better blah blah. That's all subjective. The question is how much worse and how much better. Last year we had the 6th ranked scoring defense and the 107th ranked scoring offense. So how much worse do you expect the defense to be 16th? 26th? 36th? Then how much better do you expect the offense to be able to get. I seriously doubt the defense falls out of the 20's and I can't remember the last time we were. The last time defenses had to respect our passing game was the first half of 2015 and at mid season we were ranked 60th in scoring offense (and 6-0). We lost two regular season games that year - once the passing game was gone. So with a passing game we have no worse than a 60th ranked offense and even with a realistic drop in defense to the mid 20's we're looking at 2 regular season losses. Plug in you're own assumptions.

Scoring Defense
6 th (UF) 16.8 ppg
16th (Army) 19.8 ppg (-3)
26th (Ohio) 22.6 ppg (-5.8)
36th (Vandy) 24 ppg (-7.2)

Scoring Offense
107 (UF) 23.9
77 (E.Car) 27 (+3.1)
60 (Utah) 29.8 (+5.9)
51 (Colo) 31.1 (+7.2)

Well to think on how bad it could get. We kicked but on offense in 07 and still lost 3 games pre-bowl due to the defense dropping to the 30s I think. Do we think this offense could keep it to 3 losses pre-bowl back in 07? I doubt anyone does.

In 14 and last year just like in 15 we were a lot higher in offense early also until playing the other SEC teams and FSU.

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone want to update their predictions?

Below is mine from May. I might would add either Missouri or South Carolina as a loss now. 6-6.

7-5

*Michigan (in Dallas) - L
Northern Colorado - W
Tennessee - W
@ Kentucky - L
Vanderbilt - W
Louisiana State - L
Texas A&M - W
*Georgia (in Jacksonville) - L
@ Missouri - W
@ South Carolina - W
Alabama Birmingham - W