Predicting Florida's 2017 Record

If Will Grier is never suspended, is Butters still head coach in 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Things we know....
We should have a decent running game.
We should have a good PK.
We have some decent WR's.
We have some rising stars on defense.

Things we don't know......
Who is going to be QB?
Will we be able to throw the ball worth a damn?
How will the new starters hold up on defense?
Do we have enough quality depth on both los and at LB?
How special teams play besides PK?
Who will be the key space eater in the middle of the Dline?(think Brantley, Bullard, Floyd) which is key in SEC games....
Who are the new leaders on both sides of the ball?

Things that are questionable....
Playcalling.
Coaching-development.
Injuries.
Schedule.
Enthusiasm around program( think home field advantage-attendance)

To me looking at that list has me wondering how anyone can think we win 10 games. Just being honest not critical but I think we'll be lucky to win 8. Hope I'm wrong but I'm just not feeling it.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sounds like 8-4 seems to be the average between the optimists and the pessimists. So here's the next question...

We go 8-4, and then what? Is the consensus at this point that 8-4 is good enough for another year of mac? I'm not asking whether you think it will actually result in another year; Im asking you if you think it "should."

8-4 could look promising if Franks looks dynamic, the offense finally clicks but the defense does sag due to injuries, depth etc. I'm not suggesting he might have historic numbers like Tebow, but if it is at least a similar type of season then hope will rise.

8-4 with ongoing pathetic struggles on offense will ramp up the noise in the system.

A lot depends on who looks available. A Meyer-esque candidate might create pressure as Meyer and Spurrier did.

I think 9-3. Kentucky's illusory rise is exposed, TN will fade and Jones will have an aneurysm. The kicking game will help the defense as will an improved offense. And Mac will get his 10th win in the bowl game.

If I'm reading the doomsayers correctly, they dread the lingering frustrations of staying where we are (10 wins, no SEC championships and stuck as a 2nd tier program or worse.) Things are clearly better than under Muschamp but they don't think Mac can get us back to elite. 10 wins doesn't mean what it did when we started having 10-win seasons in an 11 games + bowl era. And if this continues, we will have an Earl Bruce type era.

But, we laughed at Jimbo and Swinney a long time. It takes time to recover from the train wreck. I'm not willing to give up on Mac yet. I like what he's done so far, like his personality, facilities improvements, etc. But the offense needs to click this year to show hope of further progress. And unless/until that next Meyer appears I'm wary of change for change's sake.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can see this as about a 9-3, 10-2 Season:

I feel we'll take care of Meatchicken in Dallas. With that expectations will be through the roof, Wolverines are in a total personnel reboot.
UT?? Bytch Jones's new QB looks good but UF more than imploded last year and we have them at Home.
Kintuckee, well it's Kintuckee
Vandy will get UF the win in the Swamp.
LSU is no where near the team they were a year ago and for one Major reason.....ORGERON! that asshat will implode them and BTW enjoy two years at the swamp bytches.
aTm will be one of those trap games. Not the talent level they've had in the past but a tough one. Could go either way.
UGAly.....same as above.
Mizzou just play sound and its a W.
Muscock....it's Muscock, win.
FSUck......Another one of those either way games. But will be there to yell obscenities at Dumbo.

UF could be back in ATL again this year. I am just as pessimistic as many on here. But there is no reason to believe this team, and yes, the staff do what it takes to get them there. When and "IF" Mac gets this thing to click should even be all the better. Still going into season 3 there is a lot to prove and to get things done. But I feel with the coaching additions, even though he could not unload NORD, we're better off. Get rid of Nord, and remove Nuss' head from his arse and UF drastically improves. But I'll stick with 9-3, 10-2.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Things we know....

Who is going to be QB?
Who will be the key space eater in the middle of the Dline?(think Brantley, Bullard, Floyd) which is key in SEC games....

Playcalling.
Coaching-development.
Injuries.
Schedule.

To me looking at that list has me wondering how anyone can think we win 10 games. Just being honest not critical but I think we'll be lucky to win 8. Hope I'm wrong but I'm just not feeling it.
Great post crete, but I have to disagree with the attendance remark I attend every game and not one bit of our drop off can be blamed on the fans, even Alabama has empty seats at the cupcake games.
The last 5 years have had so many unknowns every one has been hard to predict but this year is almost impossible.
Campbell really stood out in the spring game and if Conliff (spelling) and Slaton can contribute on the defensive interior my 7-5 prediction could improve by a game or two. This is all assuming Shannon works his magic with the linebackers, because lets face it there will be injuries there.
Im not even going to mention the offense until we get a proven quaterback.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Great post crete, but I have to disagree with the attendance remark I attend every game and not one bit of our drop off can be blamed on the fans, even Alabama has empty seats at the cupcake games.
The last 5 years have had so many unknowns every one has been hard to predict but this year is almost impossible.
Campbell really stood out in the spring game and if Conliff (spelling) and Slaton can contribute on the defensive interior my 7-5 prediction could improve by a game or two. This is all assuming Shannon works his magic with the linebackers, because lets face it there will be injuries there.
Im not even going to mention the offense until we get a proven quaterback.
I agree and we could have as many positive unknowns as negative so there's an outside chance of more than 8 or 9 wins for sure. My comment about attendance/home field advantage wasn't me blaming the fans so much as just hoping when the big boys come to our place the stadium acts like a 12th man on the field....I know our record there has been good the last 2 years but I'd like to see it turn back into a "deathpit" for opposing teams again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Campbell really stood out in the spring game
I heard Andrew Gravey say that, but I can't think of a single play in which he did anything. He was there and had a pulse I guess. Didn't get knocked down. I guess that is something.

The standout on the #2 DL was a walkon LB. Now, to be fair, the walkon mostly got to go against Slow Fred, but they flopped sides some.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I heard Andrew Gravey say that, but I can't think of a single play in which he did anything. He was there and had a pulse I guess. Didn't get knocked down. I guess that is something.

The standout on the #2 DL was a walkon LB. Now, to be fair, the walkon mostly got to go against Slow Fred, but they flopped sides some.
You're right about the walkon but he did a least take up space and show up on film unlike Desir-Jones, I'm not even sure he played and expect nothing out of him this year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Things we know....

Who is going to be QB?

Playcalling.
Coaching-development.
Injuries.
Schedule.

Well here is what I know:

1. UF's offensive play calling and game planning will be nothing special. I don't see how you call this an unknown, it is very very well known and established sadly.

2. UF has some good RBs.

3. UF has a star WR and some supporting talent.

4. Many of UF's new defensive starters got experience last season due to injuries and looked pretty good.

5. UF's OL has made some progress and the prospects for more progress are good.

6. Has an excellent PK as you said and UF's punting will be good.

7. UF's special team play overall will be good.

8. UF will have more talent than 8 opponents and have roughly equal talent to the other 4 scheduled opponents.

Here is what I don't know:

9. Who will be QB as you said and will UF's QB play be even acceptable.

10. How good UF's depth will be if there are injuries.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The first or second play of the spring game, cambell blew up. I can't remember him doin much else.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Damn. RocketCity on a dislike campaign through this thread and not willing to put his own prediction out there. Classy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Im gonna say 6-6 with losses to michigan, Tennessee, LSU, UGA, Missouri and FSU. Five teams with more talent and a better qb situation. And offensively we've been worse than normal against Missouri and their offense started to take off at the end of last year, particularly the passing game.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Im gonna say 6-6 with losses to michigan, Tennessee, LSU, UGA, Missouri and FSU. Five teams with more talent and a better qb situation. And offensively we've been worse than normal against Missouri and their offense started to take off at the end of last year, particularly the passing game.

:rotfl:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If what you're saying is true we would be 4-4 and out of any contention for even a divisional title in October....Mac would be TOAST.....I'm not disagreeing because I don't see us being significantly better than anyone on the schedule up to that point except N.Colorado. The other thing that would be a crushing blow is that it would all but ensure a 0-3 record against our rivals and nobody survives here after dropping a 6-6 turd with losses to all 3 rivals, nobody.....

Now here's the wild card in that scenario and a more likely one IMO....If we beat UT we would more than likely end up 7-5. At that point does McButters and staff get their walking papers? Or do we hear cry's of 2 out of 3 East Titles is the new UF standard? :lmao2:
Now before anyone chimes in with the "you're not a Gator fan" let me also say that if Mac somehow pulls 10 wins out of his a$$ this year I would say he probably deserves consideration for Coach of the Year, he will also have beaten 2 ranked teams to do so to get to that record....Not as likely of a scenario if you ask me based on what we have on paper going into this season. Prove me wrong Mac or take a hike is what I say.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well we lost two regular season games in 2015 and three in 2016. Trends would say we lose four in 2917. However i'm not a trendy guy. I like Shannon and think he will bring the D to a higher cohesive level. "TrustintheShannon. Secondary has some question marks but are there any SEC QBs to be truly afraid of are there. Georgia could give us trouble but I don't expect them to be any different that last year.
But look at the offense.. Davis has remolded the oline into a lean mean fighting machine and I can' wait to see them in action - I always said the three most important groups in the field is Oline, Oline, oline.
Some argue we have the best in the WR's league. Now add Massey and Kadarius to the equation and we've got some options in the huddle. Not to mention some good RBs. Rushing will improve and passing has no where to go but up.

I think we blow out Meatchicken.
Take care of whichever UT team shows up (Jekyl or Hyde)
@Kentucky is always weakest at the beginning of the year
Vandy an old fashioned blowout win for the good guys
LSU - we beat them last year no reason not to beat the this year
TexasAM.- West teams that we don't play often bother but we've go them at home
UGA - Same **** different year. Kirby didn't show me anything last year other than inconsistent play - Ill pencil this win in
@Missouri - barring we **** the bed that's a win
@ South Carolina - Another bothersome game, 2nd away game, injuries will prolly show up by then... Who am I kidding DubsChump will find a way to lose.
Could easily see us with no losses/maybe one at this point.
Then F$U - who the **** knows? Till we win one I'll concede it
So I saying 10-2 regular season.

Well it sounds good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member