Pulling Freshman QBs Redshirt Bad Decision

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Brady Ackerman commented on this today. He, according to him, has been to more practices than any other gator media member. Based on that,

1. Franks is the backup.
Yes, they will be saving Trash for a very long time. Four years, I predict. No player in the history of Gator football has had that much experience holding a clipboard. We can't waste that.

I do see why some of you like him. He does have that Driskel-like slightly retarded look.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, they will be saving Trash for a very long time. Four years, I predict. No player in the history of Gator football has had that much experience holding a clipboard. We can't waste that.

I do see why some of you like him. He does have that Driskel-like slightly retarded look.

Headline reads : "Law Trumps Trask !"

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The more Law talks about an 18 year old football player the more I suspect he is around the same age or younger. It almost sounds like playground jealousy or girlfriend rivalry. Trask likely stole the girl Law had a crush on but could never get a date with. Or Trask beat him up for harassing his little sister.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The more Law talks about an 18 year old football player the more I suspect he is around the same age or younger. It almost sounds like playground jealousy or girlfriend rivalry. Trask likely stole the girl Law had a crush on but could never get a date with. Or Trask beat him up for harassing his little sister.

Some reports say that Trask's butt got sore from that hard bench, so Trask laid Law on the bench
and sat on him for cushion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys keep saying what SOS would do, and I agree he'd have pulled the starter multiple times now, but there is a critical difference. SOS had talent stockpiled. People like to mention Matthews and Wuerffel being fourth stringers, but Matthews was all State in Mississippi and Wuerffel was Mr. Football in Florida. He didn't have a handful of transfers that failed at other schools or a high school backup on his roster.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You guys keep saying what SOS would do, and I agree he'd have pulled the starter multiple times now, but there is a critical difference. SOS had talent stockpiled. People like to mention Matthews and Wuerffel being fourth stringers, but Matthews was all State in Mississippi and Wuerffel was Mr. Football in Florida. He didn't have a handful of transfers that failed at other schools or a high school backup on his roster.

But Law, you saw just how bad Luke played. No way would it be worse to put the next guy in.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You mean like last year, we had Grier, Harris, and two walk ons with a total of 0 stars who hadn't taken a snap since high school (2-4 years earlier). We don't have talent depth at a number of positions thanks initially to Muschump and as of this recruiting cycle McElwain. Spurrier walked on Campus having a talented roster and talented depth.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You mean like last year, we had Grier, Harris, and two walk ons with a total of 0 stars who hadn't taken a snap since high school (2-4 years earlier). We don't have talent depth at a number of positions thanks initially to Muschump and as of this recruiting cycle McElwain. Spurrier walked on Campus having a talented roster and talented depth.

We were barely out of the probation years. I truly wonder in the depth was as talented and deep as we remember? I don't doubt SOS inherited a talented bunch of football players. Clearly he did. But were we truly as deep as we, now looking back, seem to think we were? Did we have an embarrassment of riches when SOS walked on campus and promptly pushed one Emmitt Smith to go ahead and declare early for the NFL? I remember when, prior to SOS, our offense was almost exclusively, "Give it to Emmitt!"...

I personally think it was more of a case of SOS doing what only he could do in that day and time, and it absolutely took the league by storm... A storm that no one saw coming...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We were barely out of the probation years. I truly wonder in the depth was as talented and deep as we remember? I don't doubt SOS inherited a talented bunch of football players. Clearly he did. But were we truly as deep as we, now looking back, seem to think we were? Did we have an embarrassment of riches when SOS walked on campus and promptly pushed one Emmitt Smith to go ahead and declare early for the NFL? I remember when, prior to SOS, our offense was almost exclusively, "Give it to Emmitt!"...

I personally think it was more of a case of SOS doing what only he could do in that day and time, and it absolutely took the league by storm... A storm that no one saw coming...
Exactly and regardless of the debate as to how much was in the cupboard ,there's no debate he hasn't and isn't bringing home the groceries now. is anyone really excited about handing the future over to Jake Allen?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
one of one of us isn't understanding the other.

Well, I went back and read what you posted again and what I took from it was SOS would pull a QB quick because he had plenty of talent as backup and I assumed you meant Mac wont because he doesnt. At this point I dont care. Try something new.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:popcorn: This is me for whatever happens the rest of this year. And the popcorn's stale.
I would like to freshen that popcorn up for ya
hot-jordan-carver-gifs-024.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well aside from the fact we aren't getting to Bama.....

I think you ought to go with Trask. You play him; if he surprises you then boom you have your future QB...if he sucks oh well he was a 2 star guy and it doesnt matter because you have Franks for game 1 next year. There is no point to keep them both RS

I think all it takes is KY beating TN who has serious problems now but not sure if that would be a good thing this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I went back and read what you posted again and what I took from it was SOS would pull a QB quick because he had plenty of talent as backup and I assumed you meant Mac wont because he doesnt. At this point I dont care. Try something new.
SOS would pull a QB quickly and he had talent, that is all I is said. I didn't say he did it bc he had talent. He pulled his QB when all we had was walkon Fat Dog as a backup also. SOS pulled his QB quickly and it worked bc he usually had talent.

Mac wont, IMO, bc he is very conservative and doesnt trust young QBs. He was that way at Bammer and even at CSU facing those laughable MWC defenses.

I fully expect for LDR, when healthy, to be the starting QB until Mac is fired.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I see no reason to not play one of the freshmen quarterbacks, unless they are just not even close to being ready to take a snap in a real game, which might be the case. We have no idea if either one of them is ready or would be a total disaster to put on the field, but worrying about redshirting them is dumb. If one of them can play, play them.
The problem is that you can ruin a QB, for good, if you throw them into the fire too early. But the alternative is to, like Groundhog Day, is to go into another season not having any idea if there is a single QB on the roster that is competent, as has been the case ever since Tebow graduated.
It's obvious that Luke Del Rio is a scrub, so it's time to look for someone else, and Appleby won't be around next year. One thing is for sure, though. It's time to NEVER believe a word coming from a player or coach's mouth. Del Rio, we were told by the supposed "insiders" was better than Will Grier or Treon Harris. The coaches were frustrated that the mighty Del Rio had to sit out last year. Now that we've seen him play, you have to wonder about McElwain's acumen when it comes to QB's. Del Rio isn't athletic and has a noodle arm. His decision making isn't great, either, so what did McElwain get excited about?
It's also questionable about Del Rio's "injury." I saw FSU's current QB keep playing with a shoulder injury that was so bad he couldn't raise his arm above his neck. If Del Rio was competent, I suspect he'd be playing this week.

:eek:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Something I think we should all remember is that you could look at Del Rio's time here last year as a RS year because he was on the team but couldn't play. Like the freshman QB's this year, he was allowed to practice with the team,workout in the training programs, and was evaluated for a YEAR by the coaches. What scares me is the freshman are doing exactly what Del Rio did last year essentially, and when it finally came to play the actual games Del Rio was not good/prepared. So, why should we believe that the freshman will be more ready just because they redshirt?

Karl Sheppard

Sep 17, 2016
One thing that I feel is being overlooked is that the 1st game of the season next year is against Michigan in Arlington TX. Appleby will be gone. The only QB with any game experience will be LDR unless they pull the redshirt off Trask or Franks. Based on the performance of LDR it doesn't appear he will be the QB of the future for UF. Why not pull the redshirt off one of the freshmen QB's now in preparation for next season plus see what they are capable of doing against SEC opponents instead of throwing him up against an excellent Michigan team next year. There will be no warm up game next year as in years past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.