Pulling Freshman QBs Redshirt Bad Decision

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One thing that I feel is being overlooked is that the 1st game of the season next year is against Michigan in Arlington TX. Appleby will be gone. The only QB with any game experience will be LDR unless they pull the redshirt off Trask or Franks. Based on the performance of LDR it doesn't appear he will be the QB of the future for UF. Why not pull the redshirt off one of the freshmen QB's now in preparation for next season plus see what they are capable of doing against SEC opponents instead of throwing him up against an excellent Michigan team next year. There will be no warm up game next year as in years past.

Welcome, Karl. So the way it stands next year = Mac will have no choice but to declare LDR our
starter. Gators will depend solely on an undependable QB-leader.

Karl Sheppard

Sep 17, 2016
Welcome, Karl. So the way it stands next year = Mac will have no choice but to declare LDR our
starter. Gators will depend solely on an undependable QB-leader.

Thanks. That is my point exactly. We will be forced to play an undependable QB to start next season or 2 redshirt freshmen QB's with no game experiance and a true freshman QB. I really don't think that is a great situation to start next season against Michigan.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Something I think we should all remember is that you could look at Del Rio's time here last year as a RS year because he was on the team but couldn't play. Like the freshman QB's this year, he was allowed to practice with the team,workout in the training programs, and was evaluated for a YEAR by the coaches. What scares me is the freshman are doing exactly what Del Rio did last year essentially, and when it finally came to play the actual games Del Rio was not good/prepared. So, why should we believe that the freshman will be more ready just because they redshirt?

I think he knows the offense, and he has played decently for a few games. But he lacks the physical athletic ability to take us to that next level, and our receivers though talented are completely undisciplined in their route running. We have a below average line (which is a huge upgrade from last year) which doesn't allow time for a short weak armed quarterback the time to allow routes to develop. Receivers running undisciplined routes. Our running backs have been a plus, but none are in the game consistently enough to get into rhythm. And at this point teams have tape on LDR. They know his limitations, and as Arkansas did, they sat on the short stuff and just let the safety play center field. The only real dynamic offensive threat we have showed all season is Callaway, and coverage is always rolled over the top to him. Powell isn't the same player he was before the injury last year, and the other receivers show flashes but no consistency (which is on coaching at this point). Red Shirt Freshmen in the SEC have had success in their first year.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I guess the Coach thinks AA gives the best chance to continue the march toward the SECC, and I can get that. But for me after that Arky game and the basic body language I see on the team during games overall, I'm less into going to that Championship run/game with what I see from the West representative. So, I kind of want to see the freshman either spark the team a bit, begin the learning curve of real time action and overall see what we "potentially" really have before meeting Michigan next year. I know it sounds like I've "given up" on the season but at this juncture, that's what I would like to watch.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why not pull the redshirt off one of the freshmen QB's now in preparation for next season plus see what they are capable of doing against SEC opponents instead of throwing him up against an excellent Michigan team next year.

This is kinda how I've been thinking about it too. I mean USCe IS the closest thing we have to a cupcake/break-in type game left on the season. And we're at HOME. It's the best scenario for staring one of the Freshmen in my eyes. Give him a short leash. If he looks too big eyed out there and can't make the reads and throws in the first series, then bring AA out to close the game, but this is the best chance to see if one of them is close to ready. If he plays reasonably well, he's our new QB until or unless he screws up royally at some point and they need to put AA in for a series or two to let coach get him settled down. Meh, I'm just desperate for change I guess...:baby:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This is kinda how I've been thinking about it too. I mean USCe IS the closest thing we have to a cupcake/break-in type game left on the season. And we're at HOME. It's the best scenario for staring one of the Freshmen in my eyes. Give him a short leash. If he looks too big eyed out there and can't make the reads and throws in the first series, then bring AA out to close the game, but this is the best chance to see if one of them is close to ready. If he plays reasonably well, he's our new QB until or unless he screws up royally at some point and they need to put AA in for a series or two to let coach get him settled down. Meh, I'm just desperate for change I guess...:baby:

I think the majority feels the same way......

Karl Sheppard

Sep 17, 2016

At this point unless Mac pulls one of the redshirts and plays Trask or Franks we will have the same game experience at the QB position as we do now. Virtually non existent. Then it will be another learning curve season for either of the QB's based on the assumption LDR will not be the starter next year. MAC will then be at the start of 3 years into his contract with UF and looking at another season of unknowns.

Last edited:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I listened to Zach (aka crucial ) on am 850 on Monday and he said Trask is clearly better than Franks right now but if one plays the other will transfer and with Franks upside he would probably get the nod. I believe he thinks neither will play so both will stay. I see it as another instance of the players running the program.

Karl Sheppard

Sep 17, 2016
I listened to Zach (aka crucial ) on am 850 on Monday and he said Trask is clearly better than Franks right now but if one plays the other will transfer and with Franks upside he would probably get the nod. I believe he thinks neither will play so both will stay. I see it as another instance of the players running the program.

Well I sure hope that if AA struggles against USCe he doesn't remain adamant about not using one of the freshman. Supposedly they both have great arm strength which is what we are lacking for the deep pass and right now the SEC defenses are quite aware of that fact.

Sep 29, 2015

This smacks of overthinking and it makes no sense. First, play the best qb you have!!! Simple.

You take 2 qb's so you have this option. Choose the best one after having a lot of time to see them both work and let the other transfer or sit the bench and wait for an injury (which he have every year at this position). Also, if Trask is "clearly" better now, then the staff's opinion as to Franks' upside is questionable at best.

If the staff thinks Franks has more upside but somehow is clearly worse, put him in the fkking game and let him get some work toward the upside. Or, call his bluff. With his limited coaching, call his bluff and make him transfer and sit out a year. If Trask is clearly better now, how limited can his upside be? Also, I don't see Franks as a Cam Newton situation who as a once in a generation running QB was good enough to win a championship without honing his passing game. That risk isn't present with Franks from what little we've seen and heard. Lastly, even if he does transfer, 4* Allen comes in next year and, given staff's present plan, he would have almost the exact same in-game experience as Franks will next year, that being zero!

Point is, make a call and stick with it (dragging it out isn't really fair to either). If one is transferring regardless, so be it. That's why you recruit.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like us to find a kid where getting stomped would infuse him with angry determination, vengeance.
At least for upcoming repeat contests.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
<< snip snip>> Receivers running undisciplined routes. <<snip snip>>

What specifically do you see that leads you to this conclusion? (Genuine question.)

As a spectator, how do you know if a receiver is supposed to run a specific tightly choreographed route out from a route tree, or after the first x seconds of the route is supposed to (use his judgement to) find a gap in the (zone) coverage? How do you know what the receiver is supposed to do, if he gets to the planned point of reception, but the QB is still holding the ball?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
What specifically do you see that leads you to this conclusion? (Genuine question.)

As a spectator, how do you know if a receiver is supposed to run a specific tightly choreographed route out from a route tree, or after the first x seconds of the route is supposed to (use his judgement to) find a gap in the (zone) coverage? How do you know what the receiver is supposed to do, if he gets to the planned point of reception, but the QB is still holding the ball?

No sense questioning crazy talk. Those receivers are running their routes. The crap bag at QB who has no business suiting up for a Div I football program (something Alabama and Oregon St. seemed to have figured out pretty quick) can't get them the ball.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

First aspect is the cuts, we can all see how a receiver cuts into their route... most route trees are similar just differences in certain technics of start of the route and end. Hall used a straight release on most routes, where Spurrier liked to have them cut in for early separation on a number of his routes. Our receivers round off a lot of their cuts, that increases the time it takes for the route to develop. You don't see a lot of "breaking down" at the point, and exploding out of it. Usually the defense will dictate on the option routes, but even then bad decisions are made you see routes being run into coverage instead of into openings (again coaching). If the qb is holding the ball after the route, that is when floating usually happens, Chinese Fire Drill find a spot, follow the qb, give him a target.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No sense questioning crazy talk. Those receivers are running their routes. The crap bag at QB who has no business suiting up for a Div I football program (something Alabama and Oregon St. seemed to have figured out pretty quick) can't get them the ball.

We don't have a good qb, but that doesnt' mean that the receiver are running proper routes. The two are not mutually exclusive. Watch a lot of Spurrier receiver, especial Reidel Anthong, explodes to a point, breaks down, accelerates out... Ike Hillard as a pro was a great route runner... A good route runner can create separation. Wes Welker was great route runner in the slot, used his ability to get in and out of breaks to create separation.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Fair enough, but please see the post I put in the "Bench Del Rio" thread. There were several obvious throws he should and should not have made and each time was an epic disaster. He's cost at least 21 points in that game alone. Six INT's in the last three games. No. Just NO.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough, but please see the post I put in the "Bench Del Rio" thread. There were several obvious throws he should and should not have made and each time was an epic disaster. He's cost at least 21 points in that game alone. Six INT's in the last three games. No. Just NO.

I'm not defending LDR's play especially the last two games, what I'm saying is: A change in qb doesn't cure all that is wrong with this offense. LDR is a major part of the equation, he is throwing late, breaking the pocket early, throwing across his body without the arm to do it, and not taking what the defense gives him and trying to force the big play.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
We don't have a good qb, but that doesnt' mean that the receiver are running proper routes. The two are not mutually exclusive. Watch a lot of Spurrier receiver, especial Reidel Anthong, explodes to a point, breaks down, accelerates out... Ike Hillard as a pro was a great route runner... A good route runner can create separation. Wes Welker was great route runner in the slot, used his ability to get in and out of breaks to create separation.
I knew Spurrier had an account here.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's tuff trying to explain LDR's shortfalls.
Maybe it's: When you don't believe in and rely on skill, you start to believe in, rely on blind luck.?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No. Appleby has thrown 1 INT and it was when he was put in a no-win situation at UT. He has not played behind the starting OL yet for a single snap he's taken (and he won't again on Saturday w/ Dillard out). LDR has played behind the starting OL the last 3 games and has tossed 6 INTs. AA may not be a much better option, but after watching Del Rio the last 3 weeks, I think it's a step up. Add to that, he can run and isn't afraid to run. If he sh*ts the bed vs. South Carolina, well we're pretty much screwed anyway (the rest of the year).

The issue w/ McElwain's arrogance is at play here. What will he do? He likely does the opposite of what all of us think he should do (because that's what he's done since he's been here). A freshman should have played earlier in the year. Del Rio should have led the offense to blowouts vs. UMass (24 points that day) and North Texas (19 points late in the 3rd quarter when Del Rio was injured). Had we blown both of those teams out then AA and possibly a freshman would have gotten some snaps and throws those games. AA went to Tennessee w/ 4 passing attempts to his name.

As I was saying.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.