Reason Grier transferred

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
For the sake of argument lets say the story is true... you let him stay with that guarantee then you have opened the door to the next hotshot qb or position player. If you feel you can get equal results out of the next guy. McElwain is getting a pass because of the mess he is cleaning up, with that he has a little more leeway recordwise. Now if 2017 rolls around and the team is 4-8, 7-6, etc.. then the pitchforks will come out.

Hahaha....the pitchforks are already out just waiting....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hahaha....the pitchforks are already out just waiting....

For a certain percentage of the fanbase, they are. McElwain wasn't a guy on their list, or he isn't a Florida guy. He has three years to show merit, but I'm sure their are some they are already sharpening. Especially with all the 3* recruits.... :giggle:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
For a certain percentage of the fanbase, they are. McElwain wasn't a guy on their list, or he isn't a Florida guy. He has three years to show merit, but I'm sure their are some they are already sharpening. Especially with all the 3* recruits.... :giggle:

Again, show me that laughter on NSD......

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
So, has tittybaby Grier even decided where he was taking his "talents" to? Last I heard, he was having second thoughts... Must not be generating a lot of interest... Seems that the grass may not be greener for Chad and Willy...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Crete, are you seriously advocating that our HC should guarantee a starting position to any player...especially one who is coming off of a year long NCAA suspension for taking PEDs? Seriously?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
No surprise at all considering his father's prior tweets.
I'm fascinated to see where he goes and how his football prospects improve over the next few years. Seems to me he is going from one of the top qb developers in college football to a big question mark. How he figures that will help him develop into a better pro prospect is mind blowing.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
No matter how good he is/could be Mac had to stand his ground and tell the kid to earn his spot back. It's about teaching them as well as coaching them and there is no lesson to be learned from his horrible error if he gets his spot right back. You also can't bench a kid for him if they are playing well and doing the right things. This is a little b*tch move on Wills part and he needs to go if that is the case. At the end of the day if he wasn't confident he could outplay Del Rio then maybe we will be ok. At this point he probably goes JUCO and his daddy convinces him to turn pro. Bottom line is this family is full of wacko's. I know he is talented, but I just don't see any major program that is willing to tell him right now that he will be in their plans 1.5 years from now.

PS - I also saw the second guessing himself rumor on twitter last week as well from IAKOW, but he posted again yesterday that the source said he is 100% done and there is no coming back which leads me to believe that Mac may have laid the hammer down if he tried. For all we know Mac is glad to be rid of him because the headache is not worth it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm fascinated to see where he goes and how his football prospects improve over the next few years. Seems to me he is going from one of the top qb developers in college football to a big question mark. How he figures that will help him develop into a better pro prospect is mind blowing.

Yep he may be making a big mistake. I guess the one good thing is the new QB recruit(s) won't be worried about maybe having to wait to start pretty early at UF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He didn't sign with a top QB developer, he signed with Chimp. He's always been all about looking for a guaranteed position.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He didn't sign with a top QB developer, he signed with Chimp. He's always been all about looking for a guaranteed position.

I agree. I think this is a Josh Portis situation. Mac finally had enough of Grier and his family and said goodbye.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Reading between the lines - Mac could guarantee that the best QB on the squad would start. The negotiation fell apart when the Griers wanted confirmation that Grier was the best QB. Mac must not have gave them warm fuzzies that Grier was that man. The take away from that is that the staff must be really high on Del Rio.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
i would hate to buy a used car from some on here, say anything to get you to buy, oh yeah screw grier

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac always seemed critical of Will, even when he played well. He started Treon in game one despite the talent gap. There was was always something he didn't like about him, whether it was entitlement or off-field activities. Mac's glad he is gone, and I'm with him.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Mac always seemed critical of Will, even when he played well. He started Treon in game one despite the talent gap. There was was always something he didn't like about him, whether it was entitlement or off-field activities. Mac's glad he is gone, and I'm with him.

I'm sad he turned out to be a d-bag and hurt our season....

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
Grier was "extra-mediocre", but had potential, at least athletically. But he also showed he has no shortage of stupid.

Hard to build around a guy who is not totally invested in the program, best to move on and build around the right guy.

So be it, move on. We'll be better for it

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So he was running for his life against New Mexico, ECU, and Ole Miss? They were bad, but they were also healthy, which wasn't the case in the last few games of the season.

Assumptions you are currently making with this argument:
1. Defenses played Harris the same they played Grier. Teams focused on keeping Harris in the pocket (because was obviously a worse passer). So pass rush was secondary (extra 2-3 seconds behind a MASH unit line). He would have no decline in production when defenses had enough game tape (Like Missouri had the tape).

Would those same receivers have been open if the defense had to worry about a 10+ yard pass? Would the pass rush have been more attacking knowing a quarterback could make the throws, so getting to him would be more important. If that was the case that extra 2-3 seconds wouldn't have been there.
Everyone can agree that Mac did the right thing by letting him go. If Mac was given an ultimatum he didn't really even have a choice, he was gone.

However, make no mistake, he is really really good. He was a freshman with minimal experience, and yet all you had to do was use your eyes to see the kid is a special talent. Screw what stats he had against which teams. If you were paying attention and have even a little ability to scout talent then you know he was a baller and would have been the best QB on our team as long as he was on our team.

He also looks like he has next level talent, and will fit right in since he already has the ego, dooshbag attitude and PED connections.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@ Wobble: I deserve to have to cook you breakfast for month for ever wanting Grier as our QB.
@ Law: You had the loon, Chad, pegged right from the beginning.
@ the Sentinel's Edgar Thompson and the copy editor over this:

"Here’s the one thing about that is I think, this is what I don’t think anybody understands, looks I will never beg someone to do anything," McElwain said. "You got to have it in your heart. To be successful at anything in life, it’s got to be a passion, OK.

WTF is wrong with you over this sloppy job?

Just when I thought the Grier saga couldn't get any weirder, this crap. God love you, Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator