Rumors on Mac from other site

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
But JM was making 4.5 per year. With any measure of common business sense(that notion probably went out the window with his CSU buyout, but still) he could've reduced his salary marginally and landed better support staff.
Yet Jim "Country Crock" Mcelwain supposedly wouldn't even accept advice from one of the greatest coaches of all time who was already on the UAA's payroll. Mac's unearned arrogance and need for ultimate control will cause him to fail at future stops as well.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Since I am new to the site, I will give everyone full disclosure. I was a long time lurker...former member of the GSMB around 2010ish is when I stopped posting on that site. I would get frustrated reading all the negatives on this site and YES< I wore orange and blue glasses. Because of the negativity, I did not join....I like to say that I see the good in people and held out hope. I am in sales and a boss once told me when she asked me if I was getting an agreement back, I responded:"I hope so" Her stern retort was: "Hope is not a strategy!!!". BINGO!!! Ox, etc you guys were right all along. BAD HIRE! You have converted me with sane rational....and HOPE will never be my strategy. Results are the end game, and as Stricklin said, Florida Football needs to be fun again! Go Gators!
Welcome and post more!

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I am going to admit that when Mac was hired and I watched the introductory presser I was very underwhelmed. He seemed disingenuous in a grifter kind of way. Nothing concrete but the red flags were going up and I didn't post about it because I couldn't put my finger on why I was very wary of this dude. It was the same way with Muschamp when I saw his presser. I was nauseated after that one. Getting feelings about a coach's potential by analyzing their introductory presser on the surface is ridiculous. But it is what it is. When I saw Urban's on the other hand I was over the moon. I hope whomever we get now does the same for me. If it doesn't it will be one of those occasions where i hope against hope of being completely wrong.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
DNvC_bZVQAEG2oX.jpg

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am going to admit that when Mac was hired and I watched the introductory presser I was very underwhelmed. He seemed disingenuous in a grifter kind of way. Nothing concrete but the red flags were going up and I didn't post about it because I couldn't put my finger on why I was very wary of this dude. It was the same way with Muschamp when I saw his presser. I was nauseated after that one. Getting feelings about a coach's potential by analyzing their introductory presser on the surface is ridiculous. But it is what it is. When I saw Urban's on the other hand I was over the moon. I hope whomever we get now does the same for me. If it doesn't it will be one of those occasions where i hope against hope of being completely wrong.
Meyer always looked polished, practiced when he spoke publicly (except perhaps when he was tearful). I also believe it's easier to make a good impression and deliver understandable information if you're confident. I remember McElwain's introductory much as you do. One of my colleagues, who played baseball at Bama, had told me we got the guy they hoped one day would replace Saban, so I was optimistic. I also think the optimism was fueled by a Gator fan's desperation for a listing ship to be righted. Even though I thought "what the hell is he talking about?" in parts of his intro, I figured there was no way he could be equal to or worse than what we had endured post-SOS and Meyer. He proved me wrong. I also came to realize that speaking incoherently was his way of keeping everyone at arm's length. It's hard to initially pick apart or question what a coach says if you can't decipher what he's saying. Ultimately, his product lifted the shroud of babble that he stood behind.

Although I've not been associated with the courting and hiring process of a major college football coach, I've experienced many leadership changes and had to research and interview candidates for positions in education and athletics. It doesn't take long to realize that the imposters are usually best at making the interviewers and those doing the hiring feel better about themselves than about the candidate. Creating "smoking mirrors," if you will. Talking in generalities and dropping names also works if the interviewers are not very familiar, mindful, or experts in their own right with the duties and responsibilities of the position through the entire scope. Some people, however, make themselves susceptible to bull excrement because they've predetermined the hire based on the assumed validity of their research and/or they're not interested in proper diligence, perhaps because of their own self-confidence, accurate or not. Whether this was the case, it is easy to perceive and even see some similarities in the McElwain hire.

McElwain was an imposter. He found a favorable employment situation where he was initially given respect that was based more on where he had been and who he worked for (who assumably imparted similar programmatic ideals, methods, and plans) rather than what he'd actually accomplished on his own. The coaching profession tends to look after its own, deserving or not. Thus, when he got past the point in year one where our defense couldn't shut out the better teams (and score when the offense couldn't), the beginning of the end was unfolding, whether we could see it then or not. Ultimately, he was either too stubborn, too dumb, or too lazy to do what a real college football coach needed to do to build and maintain a successful and respected program. if there is any good that might come from his sorry tenure, it should be a new level of diligence required for the future HBC hires as we move forward. Stricklin seems to understand this, so by all rights we should soon have a situation that will make us feel much better about Gator football than we've felt in some time. If past history is a teacher, there should be no reason not to get a much-needed upgrade.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

You should post more often. I always enjoy your perspective.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Kestahn Moore diving into the line for 1.5 yards on first down won us two national championships, you ingrate.

I liked Fedora’s offense & expected him to do better at UNC. Zaun’s bubble screens got wearisome.

We all miss the Fun n’ Gun but even Spurrier didn’t run his offenses the same at SC.

Fedora has done well at UNC. He is having an awful year this season but this was always going to be a huge rebuilding year. Their team was gutted.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Did you watch the video?! The asshat is sitting in his damn driveway when he calls Blondie to ask "what's for dinner?" Mac put as much effort into the production value of this video as he does in coaching.

... yeah, Mac was doggin' it the whole video.

OtownGator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fedora has done well at UNC. He is having an awful year this season but this was always going to be a huge rebuilding year. Their team was gutted.

If Foley was still running things we would get Fedora of the discount rack like we did with the last two hires.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
This article allows you to connect the dots between the shark story and the death threats story. It is the story of a guy who became defensive, paranoid, who developed a bunker mentality, and made mountains out of mole hills.

USATSI_10154795_168381178_lowres-718x490.jpg

Jim McElwain has one person to blame for this shark story spiraling out of control: Jim McElwain
JOHN CRIST | 4 MONTHS AGO
COVERAGE PROVIDED BY

HOOVER, Ala. — I didn’t think anybody would have the guts to do it, but I was proven wrong Tuesday at SEC Media Days.

Coach, as someone who hopefully will never experience this, can you tell me what it’s like to wake up and realize that you’re going to have to answer questions about whether you were nude on top of a shark?

About two months ago, a photo started to make the rounds on social media of a man in a boat lying down naked on the back of a shark. Most unfortunate for him, said man bared a resemblance to Florida coach Jim McElwain.

A story that never should have been a story in the first place is a story all over again.

Last year at SEC Media Days, nobody in the main room had the nerve to ask Alabama coach Nick Saban about offensive tackle Cam Robinson. The eventual Outland Trophy winner had been arrested recently on drug and weapon charges, but Saban refused to suspend him. Reporters — local and national alike — were criticized for being soft.

But a story that never should have been a story in the first place is a story all over again, and McElwain has nobody to blame but himself for this mess.

“You know, I love the humor in it, all right,” McElwain said initially, trying to laugh it off before his emotions got the best of him, “and yet, you know what, what it did, that actually not only attacked the university but attacked my family, when you know it’s not you. You know, I bust chops with the best of them now, and yet when it got personal …”

McElwain trailed off without actually finishing his response, turning up the temperature in the room immediately. A few silent seconds felt like an eternity until McElwain decided it was time to change the subject.

“Nobody else?”

Finally, another reporter asked him about the Gators’ intensifying-by-the-day rivalry with LSU, but the damage was already done. As far as I’m concerned, McElwain has handled this bizarre situation as poorly as one could. There’s no way this story should have had any legs, yet they have grown from Gainesville to Hoover.

All McElwain had to do was laugh it off and move on to the next topic. It would have vanished from the news cycle in hours.

Instead, he continues to make a seemingly innocent case of mistaken identity into an indictment of his character. Look, nobody actually believes it’s McElwain mounting that shark. Some people in the world look alike, that’s all.

The few times he’s been asked about it — like my mother always said — he’s made a mountain out of a molehill. His tone gets serious. He chokes back tears. He talks about how the poisonous nature of Twitter has ruined his reputation and caused irreparable harm to him, the school he represents and the family he loves.

Asked about it for the first time by a student reporter back in May, the normally laid-back McElwain tensed up like a beartrap.

Sorry, Coach. This one is on you. It’s only a story because of the way you’ve handled it. This isn’t the media’s fault.

This is no different than when a kid is forced to go back to school after getting a bad haircut. If he just shrugs when the rest of the class teases him, the insults have no momentum and die a quick death.

However, if that same kid lets the jokes bother him and begins playing defense — I apologize in advance for the pun, as I hate puns — he may as well throw chum into shark-infested waters. The only place more relentless than an elementary school playground is a media workroom. Those headlines write themselves.

Asked about it for the first time by a student reporter back in May, the normally laid-back McElwain tensed up like a bear trap.

“Well, first and foremost, I don’t know who it is, but it isn’t me,” he said, as if he were under oath in a court of law.

The writer, clearly not very experienced and unsure where to go from there, clumsily reworded his initial question in an effort to get McElwain to elaborate. The very nature of what’s news and what isn’t became a talking point.

“Well, I guess that’s for you guys to answer,” he said. “And, you know, in the world we live, what is a story? I just know this: It isn’t me.”

McElwain could have brushed this dirt off his shoulders like Jay-Z.

Go to Google right now — better yet, after you read this column — and type “jim mcelwain” into the search field. Before you get to the letter “L” in his last name, the second choice from the top via auto-fill is “jim mcelwain shark photo.” The fourth choice is “jim mcelwain on shark.” That’s not Google’s fault. It’s McElwain’s.

Couple this with the fact that Media Days has been bereft of headlines. Never make a fool of yourself on a slow news day.

Do you think this is what I want to be writing about on Day 2 at the Wynfrey Hotel? Of course not. But Georgia coach Kirby Smart put the room to sleep. I’m indifferent on Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen’s taste in footwear, too.
The internet memes will be merciless. Sports talk radio shows will be playing the theme from “Jaws” ad nauseum. Don’t be surprised if you see a T-shirt soon playfully advertising “Jimmy Mac’s Deep Sea Fishing Excursions: What happens on the boat, stays on the boat.” Society’s thirst for kicking a man when he’s down is rarely quenched.

McElwain could have brushed this dirt off his shoulders like Jay-Z. But now it weighs on him like an anvil. An anvil with very sharp teeth.

John Crist is the senior writer for Saturday Down South and also hosts the SDS podcast. He’s an award-winning member of the Football Writers Association of America and a voter for both the Heisman Trophy and Biletnikoff Award.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“You know, I love the humor in it, all right,” McElwain said initially, trying to laugh it off before his emotions got the best of him, “and yet, you know what, what it did, that actually not only attacked the university but attacked my family, when you know it’s not you. You know, I bust chops with the best of them now, and yet when it got personal …”
Always the "I'm just protecting my family" bit. I had forgotten. I guess some sharks gave his family anonymous death threats.

Such a fvkking idiot.

He was apparently the only tool on the planet who didn't know it was a joke.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Mullen was sub par. worse than Front Butt .

Oh, hell no! Cheeseburger sucked, the guy couldn’t walk and couldn’t stand for more than a few more minutes straight. It’s hard to take a guy who has to ride around practice on a motorized scooter seriously as a coach.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I wondered about that. Just why was his wife down on the field with him after a game? I have never seen that but perhaps it is common.

I heard his excuse, but when I fail I am not happy, not smiling, not like that.

She probably knew it was his last game as HC and figured she’d lend some moral support...plus get a few last field level pictures before campus police removed her hubby from the premises and issued a no trespass warning to the entire family.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm worried about this. Frost has made a big deal at UCF about his position coaches getting paid for the great job they are doing. He's even taken less money so more goes into theirs. If UF goes cheap on position coaches like they normally do, it could turn him off.
You want to pay them more?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You should post more often. I always enjoy your perspective.
He got that working with Perry Mason........you had to be on your toes with Perry. (did you know Raymond was a gay fella? nttatwwt)

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

Yep, and throw in a crap ton of injuries to starters. He's done really well at UNC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.