Saban and Alabama ignored failed drug tests

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My whole family went to UF and all graduated...but we still want to be successful on the field also. That fact you can't relate to someone wanting the program to be successful means you probably never played football a day in your life!
I never said I didn't want them to be successful. I even went through a phase where a loss would put me in a foul mood for days, even weeks. At a certain point I realized there are other things in my life that are more important. Take this less as a judgement on you and more of a curiosity and me trying to understand.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Engineering isn't my area either but I've definitely heard about how good our engineering programs are. It may not fit your narrative but doesn't mean it's not true.
My narrative is that the football program, one way or another, championship or probation, doesn't change the value of your degree. Is that clear enough?

BTW: this says UF is 37th in engineering, tied with Iowa State. I can never remember if they are the Hawkeyes or the something elses.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

Note that some of those top schools 1-10 have no football program and others have dirty programs that have recently been on probation.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/...ama-crimson-tide-football-marketing.html?_r=0

"Alabama Rolling In Cash With Tide Lifting All Boats".

This New York Times article gives a different take on the discussion of athletics versus academics.

"But over the past decade, the success of Crimson Tide football can be measured off the field as well, as it has become a powerful engine for the university’s economic and academic growth, a standout among other large public universities with a similar zest for capitalizing on their sports programs.

Alabama’s football pre-eminence on television and in the postseason, along with an aggressive plan to extend the university reach beyond the state, has helped attract a more academically-minded student body in the past decade from all over the country and served as the catalyst for more than $1.7 billion in fund-raising, according to those who have engineered the explosive growth."

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are so silly. UF is an ok but not great degree. Please don't act like we're Ivey/Ivie (lol) League. Yeah, I know, your degree pays the bills, so does mine, but the VALUE of the degree isnt in any way related to the football program. It won't go up bc the football team is winning nor would it go down if a player at UF (or many) were caught taking peds or otherwise got in trouble. If it did, you would have been fired when Hernandez was arrested.

The two are completely independent. We can still try to compete in football without it affecting your job, trust me on this one.

I disagree here, but for a different reason than you think.

I went to UF pre-Spurrier (my last year was his first). At the time, there was little "academic separation" between UF and clown college, and frankly it was fairly easy to get in (clearly...I did). The Spurrier years made UF a "fun" destination, especially since it was ranking high in "party school" polls as well. With the high growth of Florida population, combined with the "demand" to go to UF, more kids applying meant the ability to be more selective which led to higher "quality" of education.

My daughter applied to 10 schools, many very selective. She was most concerned about Stanford and Florida. Regardless of what some here say, a degree from UF today is worth more today relatively than when I went.

So I think that the value of the degree IS related to football, but in a different way.

BTW...UF has been very slowly over the last few years becoming LESS selective, it appears. I wonder if that means fewer kids are applying. Do the math (unless you are from FSU - in that case the cash register will do the math for you).

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I hope you're at least aware that you're making up fictional situations, assigning Mac an "F" and reinforcing your own perceptions and assumptions. ...over and over and over. You're not alone, but you're one of the worst about it.

It's like this guy who has to emotionally bolster himself by convincing himself he's right. :rolleyes3:

stuart-smalley.jpg

Yes I am aware, and doggone it people like me.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
This is what I have been saying for a year or so now.
The days of taking the high road and winning are over. In the past there was at least some hope that cheaters would be punished and that doing the right thing would be considered righteous and admirable.
Today nobody gets punished and only fools continue to play the game by the rules that are no longer enforced. The only evidence that you need is to look at the programs that are successful especially the teams making the playoffs:
Bama
FSU
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Clemson
Oregon

If you listed these schools and asked me what they have in common, my response would be that they are charter members of the "Cheaters Hall of Fame." The only other thing they have in common is they are all doing better recruiting in Florida than we are.
So we can keep doing the right thing and keep losing. I think we are all getting used to the idea already so it won't be that hard.

Yeah now when schools get caught cheating they get to self impose their own penalties or get slaps on the wrist like Fsu did. Next year after Fsu beats our ass again for 7th time in 8 years, at least us Gator fans will be able to keep our heads held up high, cause we did it the "right way".

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We need more thugs, druggies, and shady players on the team to win NCs just like in the Meyer Era.

Also a police dept. that will start looking the other way on some of this petty B.S. that our players get in trouble for.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
No we just make them buy their own at GNC... then they get caught.

Bama probably provides them in the water and also gives the kids stuff to cover it up during tests. Who cares if it hurts the kid. We just want to win! These 18 year old kids aren't important at all... we should only care about winning at title and not doing what is best for the kids. The reputation of the University of Florida is meaningless... who cares if we cheat and the reputation goes to crap... at least I can buy another championship t-shirt!

Not just one championship shirt, several!!

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA and Bama are on the books together. Anyone surprised at that hasn't been living the past 9 years. Bama gets paid, NCAA officials get paid. These poor ass southern kids show up for first day of class in Mercedes, flaunt hundreds of dollars, swell up 3 times the size. its blatant and yet they never come sniffing around. Weird huh?
But they will crucify a program that hints that there is even a bit of impropriety there.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
You should check out MyDegreefromUFandEnsuingCareerChatter.com. I started it at the same time as this one, but it hasn't garnered as much interest. Turns out most people want to talk about Gator sports and not their career as a tax accountant.

:lmao2::bwahaha:

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Reading this discussion drives another point home on reasons why the '96 team will always be my favorite. Besides being in college when it happened and that it was UF's first national title, that team was just class personified led by a disciplinarian behind the scenes in SOS. There were no bad apples on that championship squad and it made me proud to be a part of the Gator Nation.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My souses tell me that the drug was Prevagen = they failed that drug test by not getting smarter,
not remembering much of anything.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
This is what I have been saying for a year or so now.
The days of taking the high road and winning are over. In the past there was at least some hope that cheaters would be punished and that doing the right thing would be considered righteous and admirable.
Today nobody gets punished and only fools continue to play the game by the rules that are no longer enforced. The only evidence that you need is to look at the programs that are successful especially the teams making the playoffs:
Bama
FSU
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Clemson
Oregon

If you listed these schools and asked me what they have in common, my response would be that they are charter members of the "Cheaters Hall of Fame." The only other thing they have in common is they are all doing better recruiting in Florida than we are.
So we can keep doing the right thing and keep losing. I think we are all getting used to the idea already so it won't be that hard.

Put the Will Grier BS in perspective. Think about that for a minute. Bama looks away, our starting QB gets suspended for a year and run off campus for the Coaches boy. WTF?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guarantee that the majority of Gator grads value their degree and the paycheck that comes with it more than the football program. Yes college football is fun, it's even ok to be passionate about it, but it doesn't pay the bills. Seriously, so much BS in one post.
Are you drunk? It's a Gator sports message board. I'm honestly baffled at whatever you're getting at.

People are here because they are passionate about Gator sports and want to talk about it with similar ilk. If you really don't care that much, then why be here?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
When you are at the top of the mountain you'll always have these accusations. Remember when we were winning? EVery other school said we had bag men and every arrest was front page news. Those were the days. Everyone is out to get you and opposing fans hate your guts. God, those were the days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.