Saban can be a real jerk to reporters

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Personally I can’t stand these pompous coaches. The more successful they get the more they think they can act like badasses. Pop does it all the time. Then they cut back to the studio and everyone is laughing saying that’s Pop being Pop or Nick being Nick.

I couldn’t be a reporter. I would fire back at them harder than they came at me. Then I would be fired. I couldn’t put up with these condescending pricks. It’s fake outrage by these guys. They love the attention they get when they do it.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Some of the views expressed re: "the media" are laughable. I trust it will always be populated by those who push and poke and irritate. People like Saban are surrounded by enough sycophants as it is.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The real question about Jalen Hurts is: Does he get to keep his under the table money now that he is no longer starting QB? The answer is: "Yes, but he must now turn in his Lincoln Navigator for a Chevy Malibu."

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He should've transferred when he had the chance. The writing was on the wall. There are SO many other schools where he could've been the undisputed starter right now.
If he transferred before the season he would have to sit out next year. He is scheduled to graduate in Dec. so if he transfers after that he can play next year as a grad transfer.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
1. Little nicky gets paid enough to handle plenty of heat.
2. Regardless of intent, it was a fair question, with no “dig” at anyone.
3. If she was trying to stir the pot, refer back to #1.
4. No matter how many times he’s been annoyed by similar questions from fans and media during the last 8 months, refer back to #1.

Btw, his accusation makes him sound clinically paranoid.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
You, sir, have just earned the coveted GGG Gold Post Award™
goldpost-balltop-500x500.png

You and rog have covered this well. The only thing I would add is it was likely a short, white, snowflake producer in her ear, hiding behind her, and telling her what to ask. He was hoping either he might get an answer because of who was holding the mic, or better yet a reaction worse than this which would go viral and let all media hit at Nick like he was a Trump piñata at an MSNBC host kids birthday party..

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Saban has always been a dick but for five national championships over ten years, can he please be our dick?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
A reading, from Back to Blood, by the late, great Tom Wolfe. In the brilliant passage from the novel, one of the lead characters, Ed Topping, is looking with disdain upon a young newspaper reporter named John Smith who Topping is meeting with in his office:

Jesus, Ed Topping said to himself. This kid is a classic. People have such a colorful picture of newspaper reporters, don’t they, all these daring types who “break” stories and “uncover” corruption and put themselves in risky situations to get a “scoop.” Robert Redford in All the President’s Men, Burt Lancaster in The Sweet Smell of Success… Yeah—and in real life they’re about as colorful as John Smith here.

If you ask me, newspaper reporters are created at age six when they first go to school. In the schoolyard boys immediately divide into two types. Immediately! There are those who have the will to be daring and dominate, and those who don’t have it. Those who don’t, like John Smith here, spend half their early years trying to work out a modus vivendi with those who do… and anything short of subservience will be okay.

But there are boys from the weaker side of the divide who grow up with the same dreams as the stronger… and I’m as sure about this as anything in the world: The boy standing before me, John Smith, is one of them. They, too, dream of power, money, fame, and beautiful lovers. Boys like this kid grow up instinctively realizing that language is an artifact, like a sword or a gun. Used skillfully, it has the power to… well, not so much achieve things as to tear things down—including people… including the boys who came out on the strong side of that sheerly dividing line.

Reporters are often weak, envious tattletales by nature, motivated chiefly by their desire to cut down to size people who remind them of the stronger kids who made them feel relatively small and insignificant when they were young. Not just at age six, like Wolfe says, but all the way through their formative years. Nobody in life ever really graduates from high school.

With all due respect I disagree. We are separated in the schoolyard at a young age by those who are punks and those who are not. It’s never hard to figure out which is which at any age.

I get that the questions become old and tired quick. I also believe the whole premise of sideline reporters is looney and a total distraction. But act like an adult. Carry yourself with some modicum of bearing and self control.

Outstanding football coaches don’t get a pass.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
With all due respect I disagree. We are separated in the schoolyard at a young age by those who are punks and those who are not. It’s never hard to figure out which is which at any age.

I got a close relative who, something like Coach, is a middle school PE coach at a magnet school around Alachua County. Big, athletic, good looking guy.

He spends most of his time keeping the “look how big my dik is crowd” away from the magnet kids.

He’s not as eloquent as Mr. Wolfe. He just calls them little ****ing bullies.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
lol you didn't have to go to all that trouble to come up with an anecdote. "Your post about weaklings triggered me," would've sufficed.

You’ll get to meet him if you ever take my invitation and get off you azz and come to a game.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Good job demonstrating Wolfe's premise, which is that the weak resort to using the written word to try to tear down the strong. Generalized dismissal of stronger kids as "punks" and "bullies" is an example of that. The poindexters who stay inside during recess to trade baseball cards are the kids of real value, and the boys who go out onto the playground to play actual baseball are punks and bullies, right? lol

I've said as much as I ought to say on it in the sports forum. It's a discussion that really belongs in the political forum, where I started a thread on it based on a longer version of the excerpt from Wolfe's book.
So any “written word” discussion that doesn’t agree with your premise is weakness? Sure.

I’m going to put that at the bottom of every post: “If you disagree with me in the form of the written word, you are weak. Never mind that my original post was in the form of the written word”.

IMG_0900.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.