Saban can be a real jerk to reporters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What I learned first and foremost from McEwen. When the sports editor asks you to ride up shotgun for the FSU game, it's not necessarily for your reporting brilliance. You're gonna be asked to drive home while he sucks down the beers.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
What I learned first and foremost from McEwen. When the sports editor asks you to ride up shotgun for the FSU game, it's not necessarily for your reporting brilliance. You're gonna be asked to drive home while he sucks down the beers.
You rode with my Gator writer God. That in itself if enough for me.........surely something passed the space between you in terms of journalistic excellence........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
51XxV96uTRL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You rode with my Gator writer God. That in itself if enough for me.........surely something passed the space between you in terms of journalistic excellence........
You'd be amazed where the discussion had reached by the time we entered Hernando County. I kept saying I need to hit a can bad. Tom: You'll be okay. Keep driving.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Reporters became reporters in the first place for the very reason that Wolfe described. It's their nature to go after domineering, assertive, alpha-types like Saban (and someone else we all know, who is better discussed on the political board) because those types of people trigger the snot out of reporters' own, well-deserved insecurities.

I can say with full confidence that this is not the reason I chose to pursue a career in journalism/broadcasting. Not the reason many of the folks I worked with over the years chose that profession as well.

Perhaps that has been your experience in your personal dealing with reporters but it's a bit of a stretch to categorize an entire profession based on a small sample size. Or based on the opinion of an author writing fiction.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Why would Saban have to squirm? He doesn’t do that. He could have simply said that Tua was the starter and I didn’t see anything tonight that changes that although Jalen played well. Any further question gets us the old standby: He gives us the best chance to win right now.

My only point is there was no need to be an azz. Obvious question...obvious answer. It’s all theater anyway and mostly pointless banter.

Heard he apologized and did it by phone rather than some ridiculous tweet. Good for him.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You know you are good when you can piss in the big gulp cup and drive at the same time.........while talking on your phone.........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Have an autographed copy. A prized possession it remains.
YOU bstrd for years I meant to track him down or mail it to him for that autograph,,.......and Im not an autograph type person.
I can say with full confidence that this is not the reason I chose to pursue a career in journalism/broadcasting. Not the reason many of the folks I worked with over the years chose that profession as well.
Problem now is that profession is all snowflaked and liberalized out.........its a fact I read here all the time........oh yeah, and just liars all.........unless they work for the National Enquirer.........

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Saban is a dick. Always has been
On a very serious note, little Nick should get himself checked out. Irrational outbursts and fits of anger are signs of the onset of old age maladies. I would hate to see the "Little General" locked up in a padded room somewhere.
The Most Common Symptoms of Dementia: Knowing the Signs
7.gif

By: Emily Lockhart on Sunday, April 29th
View All On One Page (7 of 15)
btn-email.gif

156Save

7. Agitation
Agitation may be triggered by a variety of things, for instance environmental factors, frustration over the inability to carry out simple tasks, the inability to communicate clearly, fatigue, or fear as “control” (i.e., driver’s license, home) is suddenly taken away. Those stricken with Alzheimer’s, are usually the first to notice that there’s an issue.

However, it will be gradual. You may first notice you have difficulty remembering dates, times, details, and thoughts. However, when you notice that these changes are also noticeable by friends, coworkers, and family members, it can lead to embarrassment, anger, and agitation, and eventually lashing out and social withdrawal.

Dementia-1-730x487.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01515_csHfaL2BE3M_600x450.jpg

"Hey, I get It! You are all out to get me!"

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
If Saban was our coach not a single person here would think he is a dick.
Not true for everyone. Many people can recognize someone as an ass, and still be happy with the results they achieve. Urban was a d*ck, but the results made up for it. I'm a Patriots fan and can recognize that Belichick is often an a-hole in the vein of Saban, but I'm damn glad he's the coach.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Saban had to know when he played both QBs a question was getting asked.

Real easy to say "What IIsaw tonight was both QBs played very well. We are fortunate to have 2 QBs that are National Championship caliber players and we can win with either playing."

If asked who the starter will be going forward, "Tua will remain the starter. He has to keep working hard in practice and getting better."

He took the ******* approach. Typical saban. He's a football coach. He isn't saving lives or curing cancer here.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Hey @rogdochar, I guess you must've put it so much more nicely -- somehow you got 4 likes and zero dislikes for agreeing with my post that garnered about 32 dislikes, and counting! :lol: September seems a little early for a blizzard, but there sure are lots of snowflakes hereabouts! :lol2:

giphy.gif
Snowflakes are overly sensitive coaches who cannot stand up and answer a question like a man. These guys are offended that they are asked these questions. Lil man needs to suck it up.

Trust me when there is a reporter that is trolling or baiting a coach or athlete the coach/athlete gets 100% support every time.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I'm sorry but nobody is going to convince me that the posters attacking Saban would be having the same reaction if he was our coach instead of Bama's. Most of them anyway, if not all.

Are you gonna quit whining at some point snowflake? Are your feewings hurt over the negative Saban comments?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I'm sorry but nobody is going to convince me that the posters attacking Saban would be having the same reaction if he was our coach instead of Bama's. Most of them anyway, if not all.

Maybe not....but our crew did jump all over Muschamp for his frequent outbursts and Mac when he melted down on Kelvin and his condescending pressers. But yeah....fan bases tend to protect their own particularly if they are winning championships damn near annually.

My point is directed more generally at any coach who acts the fool not just Saban. Or any reporter like Smith, Bayless et al.

Saban wins a lot so he gets heard a lot more. Forget about the debacle of him leaving the Dolphins just talk to some players and staff about the office and locker room environment while he was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.