Saban can be a real jerk to reporters

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Personally I don't like Saban, professionally I admire him. He answered the question, and then took out some of his frustrations on them always trying to make trouble. I heard it several times, he did not seem angry but rather fed up.

That they forced an apology is bad in my view, we are becoming wimps. She did not seem offended either.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Good job demonstrating Wolfe's premise, which is that the weak resort to using the written word to try to tear down the strong. Generalized dismissal of stronger kids as "punks" and "bullies" is an example of that. The poindexters who stay inside during recess to trade baseball cards are the kids of real value, and the boys who go out onto the playground to play actual baseball are punks and bullies, right? lol

I've said as much as I ought to say on it in the sports forum. It's a discussion that really belongs in the political forum, where I started a thread on it based on a longer version of the excerpt from Wolfe's book.

Honestly have no idea what you are talking about. But I do know that it is never hard to find a punk in the crowd. It has nothing to do with a punk being stronger or a better athlete. Or athlete v. non athlete. Or use of the written word. It’s how one acts towards others and usually covering up some insecurities. A reporter who is openly baiting an athlete is one example. A coach or athlete who is condescending and trying to embarrass a reporter is another. Works both ways and never hard to figure out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As a Dolphins fan who got burned by Satan, far be it from me to defend him, but I did not think his response was out of line. I thought the question was out of line, and unnecessary. The media are instigators and provocateurs who love trying to inject themselves into the story. Don't feel sorry for this ESPN reporter, she got exactly the kind of reply she was hoping to get, so that she could get herself featured and talked about. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't tried to make something racial out of it.

You do realize reporters are paid to anticipate questions the fans are thinking of. If that makes them jerks, well, that's simply affirmation that they've done their job.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
No, honestly, you're the one who has no idea what you're taking about. So there! :rolleyes: Reporters became reporters in the first place for the very reason that Wolfe described. It's their nature to go after domineering, assertive, alpha-types like Saban (and someone else we all know, who is better discussed on the political board) because those types of people trigger the snot out of reporters' own, well-deserved insecurities. I'd rather not keep talking about this here, because there's more to it than football and Saban, but anyone who wants to continue the discussion is welcome to do so in the thread on it in the political forum.

I think I can admit I don’t know what I am talking about, or you are talking about or we are talking about.

I do know I can spot a punk whether it is an aggressive reporter or a condescending coach/athlete. Not that complicated.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
See my post above. Do you really need it explained to you by Saban why Tua is starting?
Rule #1 you're taught at J school. Communicate as if you're talking to the Kansas City milkman.

You NEVER want to assume everyone in your audience is totally conversant on the subject.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Like I just said...it's all a matter of perspective.

I can live with that.

Could solve many of these incidents by simply getting rid of sideline reporters altogether. They are a distraction and add nothing to the game. Even the polite ones who treat coaches/athletes gently and with proper reverence. I particularly hate when they cut to the sideline interview while the ball is in play. Crazy. Less is more. I always disliked them but Macs sideline interviews took me over the top.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well I don't know what they taught Maria Taylor at journalism school at UGA, but when I attended and graduated from it at THE University of Florida (Weimer Hall inna house!!), I'm pretty sure one of the rules was, don't ask dumb %$#@ing questions that everybody already knows the answer to, just to provoke an emotional response from your interview subject. That's not legitimate reporting, it's rank sensationalism at best and trolling at worst.

Do you think the Kansas City milkman needs to hear Nick Saban explain "what he learned" about the two QB's from that game the other night? I sure as hell don't. Do you? Who does??
Did you major in broadcasting or news reporting? Just curious.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You can get rid of sideline reporters when you pry them from my cold dead hands.
5751e2a0515a3.image.jpg

erinandrews_8cbjgnvm_hj7mm7dx.jpg

CWS-LauraRutledge.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Advertising, actually. But I had to take all the same core courses in writing for mass communications and so forth. That said, my take on this topic is based mainly on my master's degree in common damn sense that I earned from the school of life.
Advertising? :facepalm: Try pulling the wool over someone else. Your "writing" courses were on cute little jingles.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Advertising, actually. But I had to take all the same core courses in writing/reporting for mass communications and so forth. That said, my take on this topic is based mainly on my master's degree in common damn sense that I earned from the school of life.

Whole topic is just common sense. Really not difficult to identify a jerk with or without a bunch of fancy learnin’

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's absurd that Saban would even question why he was asked. He yanked Hurts in the middle of the flipping national championship game and now he's playing both in the season opener. It's one of the biggest side shows in college football.

You HAVE to ask that question less you become the doofus in all of this.

Saban just needs to take a phucking pill. His opinion of himself isn't just inflated. It's ridiculously ginormous.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's funny, I was going to quote @Marine1's comment that, "you have no idea what you're talking about," but when I went back to do so, I realized I had misread it. He didn't say "you" at the beginning of that sentence. So he was saying he had no idea what I was talking about. I am sorry about that, @Marine1. That would've earned me an F on my Writing for Mass Comm assignment for including a material fact error.

As for you, @'78...you have no idea what you're talking about. lol

I'll ask again, since I guess you missed it the first time: Do you think the Kansas City Milkman needed to hear Nick Saban explain what he learned about his two QBs from that game the other night?

Personally I learned that one is clearly better than the other and that's why he's starting. But the one who got beaten out was their starter for the previous seasons, and it's completely understandable to me (and everyone else with a lick of sense) why Saban feels loyal to him and doesn't feel the need to spell it out for everybody.

By the way, @78, if you're curious why I haven't asked your major in school, it's because with all due respect I don't really give a sh*t. It's not germane to this discussion. As Joey from Friends would say, it's a moo point. You know, like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter!
See my post above.

Just a reminder. You're the one who stuck his nose out about journalistic integrity. I was just seeking to know how you became such an authority on the subject.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Bear Bryant would chew Saban up and spit him out.

It is a little known fact and bama fans dismiss it as Tenn clap trap but Bear was a closet homosexual............the girl
was nothing to him. Why do you think his career was all about "young men"?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
That's funny, I was going to quote @Marine1's comment that, "you have no idea what you're talking about," but when I went back to do so, I realized I had misread it. He didn't say "you" at the beginning of that sentence. So he was saying he had no idea what I was talking about. I am sorry about that, @Marine1. That would've earned me an F on my Writing for Mass Comm assignment for including a material fact error.

As for you, @'78...you have no idea what you're talking about. lol

I'll ask again, since I guess you missed it the first time: Do you think the Kansas City Milkman needed to hear Nick Saban explain what he learned about his two QBs from that game the other night?

Personally I learned that one is clearly better than the other and that's why he's starting. But the one who got beaten out was their starter for the previous seasons, and it's completely understandable to me (and everyone else with a lick of sense) why Saban feels loyal to him and doesn't feel the need to spell it out for everybody.

By the way, @'78, if you're curious why I haven't asked your major in school, it's because with all due respect I don't really give a sh*t. It's not germane to this discussion. As Joey from Friends would say, it's a moo point. You know, like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter!

Not a problem. I sorta thought you may have read it wrong.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your post above didn't answer that question. You're talking about last season. It was arguably a fair question during the offseason, when it was still a matter of debate. But by the time the game was over on Saturday, all questions were answered for everyone with functioning eyes and a brain, including the Kansas City milkman. The only ones who still needed the question answered at that point were (a) total dumbasses, and (b) people who just want to see Saban squirm.
And squirm he did, not to mention that little ditty is now being discussed coast to coast. It's TV, baby. Score one for the chick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator