Saban can be a real jerk to reporters

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
This weekend I've learned three things that trigger the snot out of certain sensitive souls on this board:

(1) Anything Lane Kiffen says or does.
(2) Anything Nick Saban says or does.
(3) Anyone who's not triggered by (1) or (2).

I suppose the list will probably grow.

Noobiewonttakehislumpsitis

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I knew if I kept talking long enough eventually I'd say something right! ;)

Nah It’s all good. I know where you’re coming from. We just disagree. We will again I’m sure but hopefully with a good season there will be more common ground.

I always say this board would suck if we all agreed on everything.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are missing the point. This isn't about a reporter's question. Far be it from that. She's been turned into a martyr over a larger issue -- namely control.

Or, in Nick Saban's case, his inability to control the narrative surrounding Jalen Hurts, who himself has been quoted as saying the Bama coaches "can't control this situation" regardless how much they want to try and downplay it under the direction of the control freak himself, Saban.

We should all know Saban by now. He's the college equivalent to a despot. He thrives not so much on the power he wields as by the control he exerts. Jalen Hurts for his part has refused to abide by Nick's Rule since being relegated to also-ran status.

Maria Taylor didn't get the best of Saban. Hurts did through his refusal to be a puppet and go away.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Iwilltreatmygatorchatterelderswithrespectitis

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
This weekend I've learned three things that trigger the snot out of certain sensitive souls on this board:

(1) Anything Lane Kiffen says or does.
(2) Anything Nick Saban says or does.
(3) Anyone who's not triggered by (1) or (2).

I suppose the list will probably grow.

Well goes to show you can’t put people neatly in a box. I can’t stand Saban and I like Kiffen.

I hate the millennial jargon but to me the difference is clear: Kiffen “triggers” others while Saban gets “triggered”. Kiffen is having a little fun while Saban is fuming.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You guys are missing the point. This isn't about a reporter's question. Far be it from that. She's been turned into a martyr over a larger issue -- namely control.

Or, in Nick Saban's case, his inability to control the narrative surrounding Jalen Hurts, who himself has been quoted as saying the Bama coaches "can't control this situation" regardless how much they want to try and downplay it under the direction of the control freak himself, Saban.

We should all know Saban by now. He's the college equivalent to a despot. He thrives not so much on the power he wields as by the control he exerts. Jalen Hurts for his part has refused to abide by Nick's Rule since being relegated to also-ran status.

Maria Taylor didn't get the best of Saban. Hurts did through his refusal to be a puppet and go away.

Good take.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
How many times have we seen a HC snap at a simple question? Countless times from every sport imaginable. It’s always more prevalent immediately following a game when emotions are still high. Honestly, why is this being made into such a big deal? He spouted off, calmed down and then made a personal apology. End of story

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's fair. I agree with most of what you're saying there. Maybe even all of it. Good take.

But what I'll add to that is, like you said, everybody should know Saban by now. What Maria was asking him to do was to say out loud something that everybody saw for themselves by watching the game: That Tua is a demonstrably better QB than Hurts. That Tua gives the team the best chance to win. And that therefore, Tua deserves to start, and will continue doing so. She knew Saban didn't want to have to say those words, because he didn't want Hurts to hear him saying it. But she went ahead and asked anyway. Well......we've all seen The Breakfast Club, right? lol

14tzcz.jpg
Yes, she tried jerking Littly Nicky's chain. That's her job. He's been around the block a few times. He should know better than to take the bait.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a generic take on TV reporters questioning an HC. & the spiritual power the HC wields.

1) The HC exerts the strongest uplifting or depressing impact on his players. Almost like a 2nd father.
2) No reporter cares for any player's spirit or feelings one bit.
3) Reporters foam at the mouth at airing, re-airing any scandal, any embarrassment to coach, to player. to program.
But Saban always knows these questions are reporters' favorites to ask. Thus he should have ready some coach-speak spiel that dodges denigrating his charges. So, while his snapback is understandable, he should have used a preplanned answer that protected his player, his University from embarrassment. The jerksome way he answered has given the sports media the turmoil that they love to wallow us in anyway.

What a good turmoil for Saban to have = both QBs are top flight QBs. Both can take Bama to the playoffs.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Well I don't know what they taught Maria Taylor at journalism school at UGA, but when I attended and graduated from it at THE University of Florida (Weimer Hall inna house!!), I'm pretty sure one of the rules was, don't ask dumb %$#@ing questions that everybody already knows the answer to, just to provoke an emotional response from your interview subject. That's not legitimate reporting, it's rank sensationalism at best and trolling at worst.

Do you think the Kansas City milkman needs to hear Nick Saban explain "what he learned" about the two QB's from that game the other night? I sure as hell don't. Do you? Who does??
Of course, I am an Alabama fan. With that said, I agree with you. It was a stupid question, and she got the response she wanted. Saban is not going to compare his quarterbacks publicly, nor is he going to criticize their performance. She was just trying to make him angry. She was not actually wanting an answer. She wanted to provoke a reaction.

Anyone could see the difference in the two quarterbacks in that game and others, and Saban sees their performance all the time, so of course he didn't learn anything in that game he didn't already know. Tua is better, but he won't say that publicly. Although he basically said it publicly by starting Tua.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Of course, I am an Alabama fan. With that said, I agree with you. It was a stupid question, and she got the response she wanted. Saban is not going to compare his quarterbacks publicly, nor is he going to criticize their performance. She was just trying to make him angry. She was not actually wanting an answer. She wanted to provoke a reaction.

Anyone could see the difference in the two quarterbacks in that game and others, and Saban sees their performance all the time, so of course he didn't learn anything in that game he didn't already know. Tua is better, but he won't say that publicly. Although he basically said it publicly by starting Tua.

Damn near every question asked by a sideline reporter is stupid and something everyone could answer on their own if they watched the game. Saban knew the question was coming and his response was intentional. He’s a great coach and a fake tough guy.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Saban is a dick. Always has been
I was listening to Bill King and he has this guy who always calls, "Cosby Cattleman." He said that Saban could have mooned to poor lass and still be supported by Bama fans. I would say "truenuff" to that.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Meh. He’s just all business and can’t stand any BS. I like his style.
Me too. I love the guy. It's just that he was mean to a female reporter and didn't play the Sir Galahad. If it would have been a male, it wouldn't have been reported. Besides, I don't know the chick but I'll bet she is as tough as nails and doesn't need any help from the drive by media.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Wait a minute...a BAM agrees with me? In that case I take back everything I said! ;)

Just kidding, I appreciate the support on the point I was arguing. But make no mistake, it was a matter of principle and I would've felt that way no matter which coach it was. No offense but as I mentioned before, being a big Miami Dolphins fan I am NO FAN of your HC, and was not defending him in particular.
If they are determined to ask stupid questions in order to get a reaction, he just needs to always give the same answer, regardless of the question: "I'm proud of the players, and happy for the fans. It was a great win today."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator