Scarlett and others have returned to team activities

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
@NickdelaTorreGC: Four of the nine credit card guys will be back on the team in 2018. From what I've heard it's unlikely Keivonnis Davis will be physically able to play football in 2018 based on the injuries he sustained in a scooter accident last September. #Gators

Swamp Ass the last one with the news as always.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I wanted to see all of Mac's Gang of Nine gone. Their crimes were more than simple "oops I made a mistake." They were calculated crimes carried out over a period of time and which caused harm to several people and institutions. But several of the gang have been allowed to return to the team so we can only hope that all make contributions to the team and school which has been so good to them. Very short leashes will be in order.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
I will say that Hee Haw left a pretty deep backfield. And it is only getting better w these freshmen.

He did. Scarlett is the best of the bunch and could have the year he was supposed to have in 2017. I wish we would get an update on Malik. Coaching staff never said what the injury was. I have heard everything from not that serious to Teddy Bridgewater caliber. Don't know what's true.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Just looked at the 2005 roster. The WR corps was considerably bigger than 2017. In 2017 Cleveland at 6’2” was the biggest. (Robinson’s medical issue took his 6’4” frame out.) in 2005, Tookes 6’2”, Baker & Murphy 6’3”, Nelson 6’5”. Even Bubba and Cornelius, who I remember as smaller quicker guys, were 5’11” & 6’1”.

(And yes, I know those numbers aren’t very accurate, but for comparison purposes...)

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Interesting commentary by Will Miles. As a Master Chief in the Navy I had the opportunity to work with "tough cases" from time to time and felt rewarded when I saw one overcome the issues, get promoted, and have that experience (both the punishment and the resulting change) enable them as leaders...particularly when dealing with those headed in the same path.

I don't know how many of us here participate in a faithful life (I'm a fairly religious man), but it was good to see the occasional tweets from a few of these guys discussing their faith in God and the future. Growth happens at all levels. Seems like several of these kids (and in the grand scheme of things they ARE kids) come out of this with a better grip on things.

https://www.readandreaction.com/201...ent-suspended-florida-gators-players-says-us/

What our reaction to the reinstatement of the suspended Florida Gators players says about us

Florida Gators running back Jordan Scarlett, wide receiver Rick Wells, and linebackers James Houston and Ventrell Miller are going to resume team activities today.

Normally that would be a small blip on the radar. But not for these four, as they participated in a dimwitted credit card fraud scheme that set the tone for a disastrous 2017 season.

I don’t personally believe that the suspensions were the reason Florida struggled so mightily. Even with the loss of all nine players who were suspended, Florida had plenty of talent to compete with many of the teams to whom it lost. But for a team that struggled so much with discipline on the field, it’s not a huge surprise there was a lack of it off the field as well.

Whatever you believe about the suspensions’ impact on 2017, there’s no doubt that it had some impact. Thus, there are fans ready to dismiss these players as irredeemable criminals who need to be kicked out of school. There are others who would welcome anyone who can help the Gators get back to winning regardless of their crime.

But I don’t fall into either category. I care very deeply that the players have been allowed back onto the team. But it has nothing to do with winning.

Legal issues
The facts of the case don’t seem to be in dispute. Each of these players admitted that they stole something that wasn’t theirs, and the amount they stole was enough to warrant felony charges. It’s a serious offense.

However, the idea that this reinstatement constitutes a slap on the wrist is laughable.

Each of them qualified for a pre-trial intervention program. This program is only available for third degree felonies and has exclusions for all sorts of crimes, including anything that involves violence, DUI or possession of hard drugs (LSD, methamphetamine, PVP or heroin).

These players’ situations are actually exactly why this program exists.

A felony conviction is life-changing. Every job application they ever fill out would require them to disclose the felony conviction. That means likely 90-plus percent of those applications go directly into the trash. The whole point of the pre-trial intervention is to allow someone to make a mistake and not have it close off every opportunity in his/her life.

To avoid having the felony on their record, the players all have to make restitution for what they stole and comply with terms of probation for 12 months. From a team perspective, the players had to go before Florida’s Student Code of Conduct Committee to be reinstated.

They have also had their names plastered on national newspapers, been subject to being called thugs by fans of the team and fans of other teams, and have missed an entire year of football.

That missed year is a big deal. Had Jordan Scarlett run for 1,200 yards in 2017, he’d be preparing for the NFL Draft right now. Maybe his draft stock doesn’t suffer because of the incident, but maybe he doesn’t earn back his starting job.

I’m not saying he deserves to start. I’m saying that a year-long suspension for an athlete who has a very limited window to earn money playing his sport professionally is a much larger penalty that it would be for you or I in the same situation.

On-field impact
I am under no illusion that these players get reinstated if they are walk-ons or if there is better depth at linebacker. Still, I don’t think the impact of any of these players is really going to be that significant.

We’re talking about a 3-star wide receiver (ranked 467 nationally) and two 3-star linebackers (Miller ranked 569 nationally, Houston ranked 648) who haven’t played a snap in college, weren’t recruited by this staff and have been forced to take a year off.

They likely are going to have a chance to contribute on special teams, but these aren’t guys who have a starting spot guaranteed when they come back. They’re likely not guys who significantly upgrade the level of play when they arrive either, unless the year off exposed them to a better strength and conditioning program.

I don’t think the players’ reinstatement is even much of a story if not for Scarlett. Scarlett was a 4-star (117 national ranking) commit in 2015, which is still the highest ranked running back on the roster. He ran for 889 yards in 2016, including his role in the memorable 2nd-half destruction at LSU.

But let’s not pretend the Gators just upgraded to Barry Sanders. Scarlett is a good player, who may end up being very good in a system that allows him to get more of a head start. But he wasn’t an elite runner in 2016 (5.0 yards per carry), and I doubt he will be in 2018 after sitting out a year.

Add to that his well-documented, significant issues in pass protection and that running back is one of Florida’s deepest positions, and it isn’t entirely clear that Dan Mullen needed to make this move from a football perspective.

Takeaway
Whatever the reasoning, I’m really glad Mullen and Athletic Director Scott Stricklin made this decision.

I have a close friend who spent time in prison. He’s described to me what that’s like and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. He pled guilty and served a significant amount of time.

Yet since his release, I’ve seen him struggle as he has been unable to secure employment. He has skills that have value in the marketplace, but nobody is willing to take a chance on someone with a conviction.

The punishment hasn’t ended with the end of his prison sentence. Society is designed to keep him at arms distance because of his mistakes.

I’m not making excuses. He made mistakes. But it can be true that he made mistakes – significant ones – and also true that he is a good man.

And the same can be true about these players. Maybe they haven’t learned from their mistakes. Maybe they’ll repeat them. But I don’t want to be associated with a school (or a society) that punishes people for their crimes and then decides to add extra punishment just because it makes them feel better about themselves to be tough.

If you don’t like the legal process, then work to change it. If you have issues with the inherent conflict of interest of the university adjudicating cases where there is a monetary benefit, suggest an alternative.

But Scarlett, Wells, Miller and Houston have paid the price they were required to pay, by the school and the law.

Holding them accountable for future missteps is completely legitimate. But they’ve made restitution. They’ve complied with their probation. They’ve complied with the university’s rules for reinstatement.

They did something wrong. But that doesn’t mean they’re not good people. Making them wear a scarlet letter and forcing them to transfer under the guise that playing football is a privilege may make some of us feel better.

But I think it says more about us than it does about them.

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Just looked at the 2005 roster. The WR corps was considerably bigger than 2017. In 2017 Cleveland at 6’2” was the biggest. (Robinson’s medical issue took his 6’4” frame out.) in 2005, Tookes 6’2”, Baker & Murphy 6’3”, Nelson 6’5”. Even Bubba and Cornelius, who I remember as smaller quicker guys, were 5’11” & 6’1”.

(And yes, I know those numbers aren’t very accurate, but for comparison purposes...)

Thanks for looking and sharing the comparison. I have to admit, though, that I'm going to have heartburn/heart-ache (pun not intended) over losing Robinson for at least this season if not a little longer. I had such hopes for him.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GrahamHall_: Eviction case against former #Gators DL Richerd Desir-Jones was voluntarily dismissed today by Windmeadows Apartments, Alachua County court records show.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting commentary by Will Miles. As a Master Chief in the Navy I had the opportunity to work with "tough cases" from time to time and felt rewarded when I saw one overcome the issues, get promoted, and have that experience (both the punishment and the resulting change) enable them as leaders...particularly when dealing with those headed in the same path.

I don't know how many of us here participate in a faithful life (I'm a fairly religious man), but it was good to see the occasional tweets from a few of these guys discussing their faith in God and the future. Growth happens at all levels. Seems like several of these kids (and in the grand scheme of things they ARE kids) come out of this with a better grip on things.

https://www.readandreaction.com/201...ent-suspended-florida-gators-players-says-us/

What our reaction to the reinstatement of the suspended Florida Gators players says about us

Florida Gators running back Jordan Scarlett, wide receiver Rick Wells, and linebackers James Houston and Ventrell Miller are going to resume team activities today.

Normally that would be a small blip on the radar. But not for these four, as they participated in a dimwitted credit card fraud scheme that set the tone for a disastrous 2017 season.

I don’t personally believe that the suspensions were the reason Florida struggled so mightily. Even with the loss of all nine players who were suspended, Florida had plenty of talent to compete with many of the teams to whom it lost. But for a team that struggled so much with discipline on the field, it’s not a huge surprise there was a lack of it off the field as well.

Whatever you believe about the suspensions’ impact on 2017, there’s no doubt that it had some impact. Thus, there are fans ready to dismiss these players as irredeemable criminals who need to be kicked out of school. There are others who would welcome anyone who can help the Gators get back to winning regardless of their crime.

But I don’t fall into either category. I care very deeply that the players have been allowed back onto the team. But it has nothing to do with winning.

Legal issues
The facts of the case don’t seem to be in dispute. Each of these players admitted that they stole something that wasn’t theirs, and the amount they stole was enough to warrant felony charges. It’s a serious offense.

However, the idea that this reinstatement constitutes a slap on the wrist is laughable.

Each of them qualified for a pre-trial intervention program. This program is only available for third degree felonies and has exclusions for all sorts of crimes, including anything that involves violence, DUI or possession of hard drugs (LSD, methamphetamine, PVP or heroin).

These players’ situations are actually exactly why this program exists.

A felony conviction is life-changing. Every job application they ever fill out would require them to disclose the felony conviction. That means likely 90-plus percent of those applications go directly into the trash. The whole point of the pre-trial intervention is to allow someone to make a mistake and not have it close off every opportunity in his/her life.

To avoid having the felony on their record, the players all have to make restitution for what they stole and comply with terms of probation for 12 months. From a team perspective, the players had to go before Florida’s Student Code of Conduct Committee to be reinstated.

They have also had their names plastered on national newspapers, been subject to being called thugs by fans of the team and fans of other teams, and have missed an entire year of football.

That missed year is a big deal. Had Jordan Scarlett run for 1,200 yards in 2017, he’d be preparing for the NFL Draft right now. Maybe his draft stock doesn’t suffer because of the incident, but maybe he doesn’t earn back his starting job.

I’m not saying he deserves to start. I’m saying that a year-long suspension for an athlete who has a very limited window to earn money playing his sport professionally is a much larger penalty that it would be for you or I in the same situation.

On-field impact
I am under no illusion that these players get reinstated if they are walk-ons or if there is better depth at linebacker. Still, I don’t think the impact of any of these players is really going to be that significant.

We’re talking about a 3-star wide receiver (ranked 467 nationally) and two 3-star linebackers (Miller ranked 569 nationally, Houston ranked 648) who haven’t played a snap in college, weren’t recruited by this staff and have been forced to take a year off.

They likely are going to have a chance to contribute on special teams, but these aren’t guys who have a starting spot guaranteed when they come back. They’re likely not guys who significantly upgrade the level of play when they arrive either, unless the year off exposed them to a better strength and conditioning program.

I don’t think the players’ reinstatement is even much of a story if not for Scarlett. Scarlett was a 4-star (117 national ranking) commit in 2015, which is still the highest ranked running back on the roster. He ran for 889 yards in 2016, including his role in the memorable 2nd-half destruction at LSU.

But let’s not pretend the Gators just upgraded to Barry Sanders. Scarlett is a good player, who may end up being very good in a system that allows him to get more of a head start. But he wasn’t an elite runner in 2016 (5.0 yards per carry), and I doubt he will be in 2018 after sitting out a year.

Add to that his well-documented, significant issues in pass protection and that running back is one of Florida’s deepest positions, and it isn’t entirely clear that Dan Mullen needed to make this move from a football perspective.

Takeaway
Whatever the reasoning, I’m really glad Mullen and Athletic Director Scott Stricklin made this decision.

I have a close friend who spent time in prison. He’s described to me what that’s like and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. He pled guilty and served a significant amount of time.

Yet since his release, I’ve seen him struggle as he has been unable to secure employment. He has skills that have value in the marketplace, but nobody is willing to take a chance on someone with a conviction.

The punishment hasn’t ended with the end of his prison sentence. Society is designed to keep him at arms distance because of his mistakes.

I’m not making excuses. He made mistakes. But it can be true that he made mistakes – significant ones – and also true that he is a good man.

And the same can be true about these players. Maybe they haven’t learned from their mistakes. Maybe they’ll repeat them. But I don’t want to be associated with a school (or a society) that punishes people for their crimes and then decides to add extra punishment just because it makes them feel better about themselves to be tough.

If you don’t like the legal process, then work to change it. If you have issues with the inherent conflict of interest of the university adjudicating cases where there is a monetary benefit, suggest an alternative.

But Scarlett, Wells, Miller and Houston have paid the price they were required to pay, by the school and the law.

Holding them accountable for future missteps is completely legitimate. But they’ve made restitution. They’ve complied with their probation. They’ve complied with the university’s rules for reinstatement.

They did something wrong. But that doesn’t mean they’re not good people. Making them wear a scarlet letter and forcing them to transfer under the guise that playing football is a privilege may make some of us feel better.

But I think it says more about us than it does about them.
They conspired to commit a felony. They should be kick out of college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.