Recruiting Silent Commit from 3-star LB?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
5 DT's ain't happenin, period. We are going to sign around 17-20 this class. I can see 1 JUCO and 2 (at most) HS kids.
That may be true but it ain't going to cut it if we do. Look at the roster...unless a couple of guys start gaining a sh!t load of weight/strength were in bad shape. On top of that unless we get the cream of the crop only about half of them are going to be any good/transfer/grades....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
5 DT's ain't happenin, period. We are going to sign around 17-20 this class. I can see 1 JUCO and 2 (at most) HS kids.
We are starting to get enough bodies to start Sabaning the trash. I'd like to see that happen a bunch this December. If you are going to try to filter through 3 stars to find a nugget here or there, you must do a bunch of it. I think we will have a much larger class than 17.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On top of that unless we get the cream of the crop only about half of them are going to be any good/transfer/grades....
I think even 5 stars are only about 50/50. 3 stars are like 1 or 2 in 10. There's no way around it, you must have many bodies and pick the best. There is no such thing as as sure thing from Juco or HS.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We are starting to get enough bodies to start Sabaning the trash. I'd like to see that happen a bunch this December. If you are going to try to filter through 3 stars to find a nugget here or there, you must do a bunch of it. I think we will have a much larger class than 17.

Law, I hope you're right. I agree it will be bigger than 17 also (closer to 20-22). I'm glad we've seen a couple of the non-contributors transfer (I like Sousa, but he obviously wasn't seeing the field). We'll need a few of the OLs to move on and maybe one of the DEs and DBs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have four DEs that will never see the field. There is plenty of trash to take out and I think we will.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T, we're in the danger zone. It takes about 2 years for incoming HS kids to be ready for SEC/CFB LOS combat. Even a lot of JuCo guys don't shine until their final season. We need to bring in 2 JuCo's and at least 3 HS recruits this coming class, and I'm not talking about Rush/Buck type linemen.
I agree. Regardless of ranking, we should be taking a few 300lb space eaters every year. I don't understand why we didn't take Jordan woods last year. A 4star dt from north marion who signed with Georgia tech.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think even 5 stars are only about 50/50. 3 stars are like 1 or 2 in 10. There's no way around it, you must have many bodies and pick the best. There is no such thing as as sure thing from Juco or HS.
Exactly, that's why we have to shoot for 5 IMO. DT's typically aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Out of 5, one will probably not qualify, one will probably transfer, one will probably be a fat wuss who dominated in H.S but takes 3 or 4 years to be serviceable in college(Omar Hunter) and hopefully one of the remaining 2 will end up being dominant like a Cody or Suh....maybe.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Taven Bryan - the Earl Okine of the last 4 years.
Coach loves Taven Bryan. It's a Montana thing. He sucks (unless he is going against Riles in our scrimmage) but he isn't going anywhere. He should have moved to OT.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Bryan was injured most of last year, so I'm going to give him a pass. If he doesn't produce this year, then yes he should move on.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You guys better back off of Bryan. I'm pretty sure gatorj is related to him.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Taven Bryan - the Earl Okine of the last 4 years.
:wtf:
Dude, he'll be a RS Sophomore this season. He's only played one year. I'm with BMF and will give him a pass on last year.
Clark had similar stats, minus the FAU game where he had 7 tackles. They both only played in about half the games.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Earl Okine....the first guy you wanted to get off the bus,......Also the last guy you wanted to get on the field.
He actually played for the Colts last year. Talk about a slow developer. He spent some time in CFL/Arena/and some new league?, before actually making it on to an NFL roster.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He actually played for the Colts last year. Talk about a slow developer. He spent some time in CFL/Arena/and some new league?, before actually making it on to an NFL roster.
Kudos to him for sticking with it. I was mainly busting on him because Mick Hubert would always say he should be the 1st guy off the bus even though he hardly played a meaningful down when he was here.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kudos to him for sticking with it. I was mainly busting on him because Mick Hubert would always say he should be the 1st guy off the bus even though he hardly played a meaningful down when he was here.
Oh, I don't disagree. He was an 'all airport' guy his entire career here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Unless this is from someone here...there's talk about our poor recruiting even over at Pumper HQ:

"We have 2.5 proven recruiters and that's it. Gray, Rumph, and Dixon is ok. The rest are dead weight. How the defense went from 70% 4/5* to 25% in 2 years is bad. Whatever Themi is smoking should be sold in Colorado. The reason why Bama, AUB, FSU, etc offer our 3* commits late is because they are back up plans. Most of these kids will have to wait 2-3 years to even be ready to play. You can't win NC with just great coaching we need great recruiters. We can't wait 2-3 years we need instant impact players on day 1. Our top recruiter in 2016 according to TOS recruiting rankings was Nuss at #88, Gray at #90, Shannon at #108, etc. Who dominated the top 25? Bama, OSU, AUB, FSU, Mich, Clem."

And there's more where that came from.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unless this is from someone here...there's talk about our poor recruiting even over at Pumper HQ:

"We have 2.5 proven recruiters and that's it. Gray, Rumph, and Dixon is ok. The rest are dead weight. How the defense went from 70% 4/5* to 25% in 2 years is bad. Whatever Themi is smoking should be sold in Colorado. The reason why Bama, AUB, FSU, etc offer our 3* commits late is because they are back up plans. Most of these kids will have to wait 2-3 years to even be ready to play. You can't win NC with just great coaching we need great recruiters. We can't wait 2-3 years we need instant impact players on day 1. Our top recruiter in 2016 according to TOS recruiting rankings was Nuss at #88, Gray at #90, Shannon at #108, etc. Who dominated the top 25? Bama, OSU, AUB, FSU, Mich, Clem."

And there's more where that came from.

It's true, sadly. Especially the part about those other programs signing 3-stars as back-up plans. That's why you see a 3-star DB/Athlete "offered" (among their 35 other offers to DBs/Athlete's). We need to start landing more in the 4-star range...and having a damn Plan B. I'm still scratching my head on why we didn't sign a DT last year. No Plan B? We heard the whole cycle that we were going to have a "big" class....and we end up w/ 24 (then they added Putu for a 25th). Now we're hearing that this class will be "selective" because it will be small. Excuses!

Bottom line, this class needs to be a top 10 (preferably top 5). Otherwise, we do need to drop some of the dead weight on the coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator