Skip Holtz blasts Muschamp's toxic environment at UF

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n275433 said:
Complete BS from Holtz. There is no proof that WM ever yelled at his players.

Calm, cool and collected.

Angry-Will-Muschamp.gif

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some real crap happened to Driskel, but a lot of it was on himself. He made numerous poor decision and just didn't have the mental toughness to succeed here. He also lacked a lot of the intangibles. The lasting image I have of Driskel is during the Ga. Southern game. Murphy is on the sideline trying to coach up Morningwood every chance he could. Really took it as a personal responsibility. Meanwhile, Driskel is all the way back against the wall. Nowhere near the action, and he's laughing and cutting up. You are getting beat by an FCS school and you are laughing, while Murphy is passionately engaged. So while I have some sympathy for Driskel, it's not a lot. Muschamp was a problem, but not the only one.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n275610 said:

Angry-Will-Muschamp.gif

Puke. How the hell did Foley go from hiring a HOF coach to that? I don't get it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zambo;n275614 said:
What an embarassment. F that guy.

This was, I believe, following the late TD that Riggs gave up against the vols in '13. We'd just lost to miami in a game that featured several questionable coaching calls, and were en route to 4-8 campaign with him at the helm. And he felt justified saying "God d*** you!" to one of his players for a missed assignment.

I officially wrote him off that moment. His antics were always perceived as passion. The reality that emerged from his being HC here is that he's really just a pos all around.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n275656 said:
How else are the players supposed to hear him over the crowd noise?

:exactly:

If the damn fans would stop chanting "Fire Muschamp", the players could hear him without WM needing to raise his voice. This is really an indictment on the Gator fans and not on WM.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n275610 said:

Angry-Will-Muschamp.gif

Notice how effective that was. The kid never looks at him, never changes expression, and already looked shell shocked and miserable.. Highly motivational.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n275637 said:
This was, I believe, following the late TD that Riggs gave up against the vols in '13. We'd just lost to miami in a game that featured several questionable coaching calls, and were en route to 4-8 campaign with him at the helm. And he felt justified saying "God d*** you!" to one of his players for a missed assignment.

I officially wrote him off that moment. His antics were always perceived as passion. The reality that emerged from his being HC here is that he's really just a pos all around.

Muschamp always reminded me of a more emotional jim Leavitt. Being emotional as a coordinator is great, being too emotional as a head coach. You team rides the highs and lows of the head coach. If a coach gets too high or low the players play with that emotion.

Jun 2, 2015
PastyStoole;n275582 said:
Holtz isn't referring to Muschamp when he mentions the "toxic environment." He's actually referring to our fans.

I've honestly never been more embarrassed as a Gator fan. The way a lot of our fans reacted to Driskel's play was pretty shameful. Driskel didn't create the offensive scheme or the depth chart. As far as I can see he just went out and tried to do his best, which wasn't very good. Some of our fans wanted to torture and humiliate the kid for being a failure. Muschamp was the real failure, either for his offensive style, playing the wrong QB, or not recruiting one. Blame the B.O.D. for hiring the window washer as their CEO, not the window washer.

I, and a lot of other rival fans, felt sorry for Driskel. Never once did I hear him complain or read about any complaints he had. He kept his mouth shut and did the best that he could. Miami fans initially treated Brock Berlin badly simply because he transferred from UF. He actually was the best QB we had (prior to Kaaya) in many years. He was finally accepted when he beat FL.. He currently works for one of the J&J companies and is doing well in life.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
What I took from the article:

As for the fun part, Holtz noticed that against Southern. Holtz noted after one of Tech's touchdowns how Driskel came off the field with his eyes "real big," looked at Holtz and said "we got some playmakers!"

"There are some guys that are really helping him, and I don't know how much he got that when he was at Florida," Holtz said Tuesday. "I don't know how much he had the help around that he has here right now."

I'm thinking that refers to the players that quit on Driskel while he was here. The lack of coaching support is given, and the mistrust from the fan base has been well stated, but I think this also points at the players around him at the time.

Another noteworthy topic Tuesday was Driskel's recruitment. Holtz shared a few laughs looking back on how everything played out last December. Tech was one of a handful of schools from the Atlantic Coast Conference, Southeastern Conference and Big 12 that were after Driskel.

Wut? ACC, SEC, and B12 teams were after him as a transfer? I like the kid, and am glad he's enjoying life again in a less hostile setting, but I can't see him at any Power 5 school.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
daytonacane;n275734 said:
Miami fans initially treated Brock Berlin badly simply because he transferred from UF. He actually was the best QB we had (prior to Kaaya) in many years. He was finally accepted when he beat FL.. He currently works for one of the J&J companies and is doing well in life.

Don't take this the wrong way, but........ WHO CARES?

:chomp:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
daytonacane;n275734 said:
I, and a lot of other rival fans, felt sorry for Driskel. Never once did I hear him complain or read about any complaints he had. He kept his mouth shut and did the best that he could. Miami fans initially treated Brock Berlin badly simply because he transferred from UF. He actually was the best QB we had (prior to Kaaya) in many years. He was finally accepted when he beat FL.. He currently works for one of the J&J companies and is doing well in life.
I figured he was in prison, where he belongs.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n275692 said:
Notice how effective that was. The kid never looks at him, never changes expression, and already looked shell shocked and miserable.. Highly motivational.

Jenny, you were probably the first one on here that really, really voiced how negative Muschamp's antics were. How right you were.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n275739 said:
Wut? ACC, SEC, and B12 teams were after him as a transfer? I like the kid, and am glad he's enjoying life again in a less hostile setting, but I can't see him at any Power 5 school.

It doesn't surprise me. Coaches especially on the upper end have a bit of an ego. Driskel who I believe everyone can agree had the physical tools to be elite. You don't believe coaches from other Power 5 school didn't think we could be the ones to fix him. Or see that Muschamp was a tirefire, and think if they just got him out of that environment. I'm sure there were quite a few P5 coaches who looked at the natural gifts that Driskel had and thought they could fix the mental issues.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n275551 said:
This. People are different and respond differently. Some need a kick in the butt. Others only respond to positive reinforcement. Others don't need either and are self-starters. A good head coach recognizes this. Muschump didn't. He created a toxic environment where many players were walking on egg shells.

Exactly what I was saying, but for you more specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.