Someone other than Harris needs to start next week - PERIOD

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's possible if the coaches let him do what he's actually good at, but there is no choice if we want to have any chance of staying within 3 TDs.
What pray tell is he actually good at?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Square peg in a round hole....whatever. Y'all are blaming mac for not being able to plug a hole the size of the Grand Canyon with a toothpick.

I'm not, but there can be no denying that Harris is struggling beyond anything the coaching staff envisioned. He's our guy until someone better unseats him, which ain't happening anytime soon. So the question becomes, would a few tweaks to the playbook get the guy more on track and in a rhythm? I think the coaching staff would do well to consider.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like what? Read option or wishbone? As far as I know there is no good offense for a QB that can't see the defense, make quick, correct decisions, or throw a timely accurate pass.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Wildcat to Taylor, 2 fullbacks, 2 TEs, 1 wideout for quick screens and jet sweeps, then run run run the damn ball. It's not like we've got a quarterback who can throw to anybody anyway, so the receivers are just a waste of bodies and space.

Yeah, I know it's stupid and it won't happen, but at this point, it seems like our best bet to stay competitive.
Snapping the ball to Harris isn't the problem, him passing it so often is. Play a game with the objective to get Harris and Taylor at least 100 yards on the ground each, mix in some wildcat. Run some sweeps and reverses with your fastest players, throw some play action, bring in Grady on some snaps to confuse the D, etc.
Chill out, people. Mac came to the track to race and was handed the keys to a '92 Corolla. Give him a couple recruiting cycles to build a Ferrari. We're gonna be fine.
A couple, that's 2 right? Cycle number 2 is upon us. So are we a Ferrari next year?

I don't think anyone is calling for Mac's firing, that would be suicide. But it is fair to criticize him, and his management of the offense is easy to criticize. Harris is only good at one thing on the football field, and happens to be very good at it. The coaches haven't utilized his skill at all.

We all agreed Harris would be more effective running more, but understood they didn't want to risk getting him hurt. But then we were on the verge of losing to FAU and they didn't make any adjustments, and then we saw the steaming pile of excrement on the field last night and still no adjustment. Since the long-shot dream season was going down the sh*tter, the saving him so he doesn't get hurt didn't fly anymore.

Maybe Mac doesn't get it yet, but you need to pull out every fuking weapon to avoid getting embarrassed to the Raping Nation, and Mac shat the bed in his first chance. No one is calling for Mac to get fired, but we are keeping score and his supposed strength was sub-Muschampion getting shut out (how much does that fuking PISS YOU OFF?) in his first opportunity.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Each of us as fans needs to ask ourselves where are we re: the QB position:

1) Denial - Treon can't be the best QB on the team!
2) Anger - How the hell did we end up without a good QB!
3) Bargaining - Lets run plays that Treon is good at!
4) Depression - We're screwed, the coaches don't know what they're doing, I'm never watching football again.
5) Acceptance - We're not going to score again this year but next year will be better.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The hell they didn't.. we had receivers running wide open all night - but nobody could get them the ball!
That's the point...we've known not just last night but for the last month that we were inadequate at throwing the ball. We were doing that badly running it....Which would you choose?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Yes, Treon was awful. Obviously he isn't our long term QB. I'd be fine rolling the dice and trying the next guy, but realize, the guy wasn't even a QB when he came from Vandy, so he won't be very good and probably can't pass at all. A running QB who can't pass running a wildcat behind a ****ty O-line. Yeah, that would have been great. I have no reason to think the backup could have come in and beat FSU or could beat Bama. We just don't have any options right now. It sucks, but it is what it is.

The McElwain bashing is pretty stupid in here - do any of you think that the outcome would have been different with a converted QB who probably can't pass or with a walkon dentist - kicker?

Next year hopefully either Del Rio or some freshman comes in and gets us through to Grier's return. At that point, when there are other options, and if we are still trotting Treon out there THEN I will be angry at McElwain. Till then, bend over and take it like a man.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That's accurate. I have to laugh at some of the people on this board, people who earlier lauded the balanced and practical playcalling, now inferring Mac and Nussy as brain dead.
What good does it do to "have receivers running wide open all night" when we know the QB can't see them......you run the ****ing football....and mix up inside and outside runs, QB draws, and then play action like myself and a few others have pointed out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Like what? Read option or wishbone? As far as I know there is no good offense for a QB that can't see the defense, make quick, correct decisions, or throw a timely accurate pass.

It's the parallel opposite to what Brantley faced when Meyer handed over the reigns in 2010. A fish out of water. Make some packages for the guy to include designed rollouts, QB draws, maybe even the read option. Heck, maybe put in a little no-huddle. The main point being, try and highlight his instincts rather than railroad him into being a prototypical pocket passer. He's not comfortable in the pocket.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We're still in position for a Sugar Bowl appearance.
:rotfl:

Seriously :lmao:

Ok, so really seriously, we may be "in position" in some rules and regs of wins/losses/SEC title game scenarios to make it to a major bowl or whatever, but they aint no freaking chance on god's green earth we get selected. At this point I would pay money NOT to get that invite. Honestly, I dont even want an outback or capital one invite b/c we will get bent over again on national tv by whatever decent team shows up. They wouldnt even need to score TDs to do it. Im hoping our disaster of an offense scares the decent game invites off and we end up in a crap bowl or something so we can at least score once or twice and have a chance at competing.

After last night... the sugar bowl? Really? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What good does it do to "have receivers running wide open all night" when we know the QB can't see them......you run the ****ing football....and mix up inside and outside runs, QB draws, and then play action like myself and a few others have pointed out.

We ran 40 times and passed 38. That's not balanced?

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
The good news is that treon won't be able to say he wasn't given a fair shot. He's awful and has to know that as we do. Will be interesting to see how Mac handles situation next year if treon is starter for the first 6 games. Does he replace him with Grier he's eligible. I would imagine he will struggle next year as much as he has this year. But does he bench him after being the starter for 6 games?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Snapping the ball to Harris isn't the problem, him passing it so often is. Play a game with the objective to get Harris and Taylor at least 100 yards on the ground each, mix in some wildcat. Run some sweeps and reverses with your fastest players, throw some play action, bring in Grady on some snaps to confuse the D, etc.

A couple, that's 2 right? Cycle number 2 is upon us. So are we a Ferrari next year?

I don't think anyone is calling for Mac's firing, that would be suicide. But it is fair to criticize him, and his management of the offense is easy to criticize. Harris is only good at one thing on the football field, and happens to be very good at it. The coaches haven't utilized his skill at all.

We all agreed Harris would be more effective running more, but understood they didn't want to risk getting him hurt. But then we were on the verge of losing to FAU and they didn't make any adjustments, and then we saw the steaming pile of excrement on the field last night and still no adjustment. Since the long-shot dream season was going down the sh*tter, the saving him so he doesn't get hurt didn't fly anymore.

Maybe Mac doesn't get it yet, but you need to pull out every fuking weapon to avoid getting embarrassed to the Raping Nation, and Mac shat the bed in his first chance. No one is calling for Mac to get fired, but we are keeping score and his supposed strength was sub-Muschampion getting shut out (how much does that fuking PISS YOU OFF?) in his first opportunity.

The initial recruiting cycle counts as half since he's coming in late. He needs two more before you can legitimately tee off on the guy.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are the 1st 6 games next year:
  1. UMass
  2. UK
  3. North Texas
  4. UT
  5. Vandy
  6. LSU
If Treon is the QB in this offense, we could easily be 3-3 before Grier is eligible

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or 5-1 or 1-5.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with 4-2. But it's a moot point bc if del rio has a pulse in August, he'll be the one behind center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with 4-2. But it's a moot point bc if del rio has a pulse in August, he'll be the one behind center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.