Soooo...what about the receivers?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's been plenty of Driskel hate here to last a lifetime. His poor play has certainly warranted a change at the QB position although the stupid personal attacks on him say much more about the attacker than Driskel. But what about the play of the receivers? Why are all of their drive killing drops only mentioned in passing (no pun intended)? Not that I am in any way advocating for it, but where are the constant personal attacks and vitriol?

Dooley brought up an interesting stat that Driskel's completion percentage would be around 65% without all of the drops. From the time they start playing football in Pop Warner receivers are taught that if it hits your hands you should catch it and for good receivers that is true. Top receivers catch the easy ones AND the harder ones. And with the sticky gloves these guys wear it seems almost impossible to me that any pass could be dropped.

So what gives? I don't blame coaching for dropped balls. That falls solely on the player. It comes down to concentration, athleticism and wanting it badly enough. Other than the Kentucky game we haven't seen those qualities in our receivers in a looooong time.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I read one article I think said that we have about 4 drops a game/avg on catchable balls. That is higher than I see with most teams (excluding A&M who had an incredible amount against Miss State last week) but most teams seem to have at least 2-3 when I watch games and I think Driskel is above that mainly because he throws a ball with no touch many times - gunning it when he shouldn't be etc. so I don't think he should get a pass on the issue. Hopefully our receivers do improve however.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73596 said:
I read one article I think said that we have about 4 drops a game/avg on catchable balls. That is higher than I see with most teams (excluding A&M who had an incredible amount against Miss State last week) but most teams seem to have at least 2-3 when I watch games and I think Driskel is above that mainly because he throws a ball with no touch many times - gunning it when he shouldn't be etc. so I don't think he should get a pass on the issue. Hopefully our receivers do improve however.

Called it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently Driskel needs to underhand the ball to our receivers for them to catch it. At least that's what some here will have you believe.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n73598 said:
Called it.

Yep but that is the reality. He has no touch on his passes and if he did we would be getting probably the 2-3 drops you see in most of the games.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n73584 said:
His poor play has certainly warranted a change at the QB position
So then we all agree.

I'd advocate benching the WR's too.....but do we have anyone else? We have a QB that can't throw and WR's that can't catch. What do you do?

Perhaps recruiting and coaching come into play here.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n73604 said:
So then we all agree.

I'd advocate benching the WR's too.....but do we have anyone else? We have a QB that can't throw and WR's that can't catch. What do you do?

Run the ball.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
oxrageous;n73604 said:
So then we all agree.

Fire the coach that is throwing and not catching the ball.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I thought it was Tebow would had a wobbly ball...plenty of those were caught

That Pig Howard kid caught everything it seemed

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n73599 said:
Apparently Driskel needs to underhand the ball to our receivers for them to catch it. At least that's what some here will have you believe.

I hear ya. You are expected to catch hard throws. When I played flag football I used to play with ex div 1 guys and they would smoke it in there. You were expected to catch that crap. Do you think flag football players should be held to a higher standard than D1 scholarship players? "Oh he has no touch" wah wah babys

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n73597 said:
Covered thoroughly in a post 3 days ago. Nothing new.

Sorry, must have missed it amongst all the Driskel sucks threads.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n73604 said:
So then we all agree.

RUN

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It's the culture developed at Florida under Muschamp. Two of Florida's receivers last year, Burton and Patton, are on NFL rosters today. It might not be the players, just the climate of failure that permeates the offense under Muschamp, regardless of the assistant coaches. If it was something concrete and tangible, the problem would have been solved long ago. Like Muschamp says, you are what your record says you are and film doesn't lie. The gators have been pathetic on offense for years now and Treon Harris is not the answer, even if was playing. Until Muschamp is removed and someone else comes in to develop a new culture, it's not going to change. Roper was supposed to the answer, but he's not a miracle worker. Muschamp needs to go and the Gators better not hire another defensive guy as the head coach, UF needs to hire a guy that can make the players believe that the end zone is not burning pit in Hell.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73602 said:
Yep but that is the reality. He has no touch on his passes and if he did we would be getting probably the 2-3 drops you see in most of the games.

Sorry, but that's crap. Ever watched top NFL QB's throw the ball? Farve, Manning etc? They fire the ball and the receivers catch it because that's what good receivers do. Anyone who's ever played the position knows you should catch 'em all. Where Driskel lacks touch is his deep ball. But that causes more problems with getting it where the receiver can catch it not whether the receiver should catch it.

G

gatorchamps0607

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sad part is, our WR's are open for the first time in years, now they cant catch and/or Driskel can't throw.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n73614 said:
Sorry, must have missed it amongst all the Driskel sucks threads.

That's because it turned into a Driskel sucks thread...

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
the problem lies with both positione groups. WR are dropping passes but JD doesnt always throw the most catchable ball

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.