Soooo...what about the receivers?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
ntcrze;n73782 said:
Winston is still the best quarterback in college football. Benjamin did not "bail" him out. He's the most accurate passer out there. He's not perfect, but the ball goes exactly where he wants it to go the vast majority of time with the right amount of speed for the occasion. . I think you've seen a drop off due to the receivers and him not yet being on the same page, except for Greene. Winston throws to a spot, he expects his receivers to be there, it hasn't happened yet this year. I think that will change with a former gator commit, Lane, and the rumored "big flip" to Florida, Rudolph becoming more in synch with Winston. Mariota gets excused for his poor offensive line, yet Winston hasn't had good protection going back to the National Championship game, but he still figures out a way to win. No, you're dreaming if you think that any receiver "bails" out the game's most accurate passer. His throws are dictated by who he's throwing to. For example, the same play, an inside slant, that as the winning TD in the National Championship game was run last week against Wake, but Winston didn't throw it high, he threw it where Greene could catch it, not Benjamin. If you don't realize that Winston is still the best player in college football, I don't think you are being objective. Mariota? He chokes at home against a 24 point underdog and hasn't even won a division title in his career. Gurley? He's a great player, he's not as dominant a player as Winston, or Georgia wouldn't have lost against South Carolina. No, with the game on the line, there is no one to compare with Winston, he never fails to rise to the occasion. He did 'driskel' against N.C. State late in the game, but made up for it on the next drive.

Winston is an outstanding QB, but he isn't in my top 3 right now for many reasons.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;n73842 said:
You nailed it with this... :hehehe:

Yeah, pretty much. And now apparently pointing out that our receivers are not that great is somehow considered as trying to deflect from Driskel's play even though the second sentence of my original post says he should be benched. :rolleyes:

My main point has always been that we are just not a very good team and all of the talent we've constantly been hearing about at just about every position is just not there. We have a "team" failure that seems to be endemic and not just specific to Driskel. I don't think that's going to change until there is a coaching change.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n73854 said:
Yeah, pretty much. And now apparently pointing out that our receivers are not that great is somehow considered as trying to deflect from Driskel's play even though the second sentence of my original post says he should be benched. :rolleyes:

My main point has always been that we are just not a very good team and all of the talent we've constantly been hearing about at just about every position is just not there. We have a "team" failure that seems to be endemic and not just specific to Driskel. I don't think that's going to change until there is a coaching change.

Just had this discussion at lunch. How many players, how many OCs, how many offensive systems before we finally accept that it's not going to change under WM?

Few things are certain, but I can guarantee you that every single player--including Driskel-- would be performing better under a different regime. The culture has become so toxic that until it is changed, we will almost certainly see the same results.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n73863 said:
Just had this discussion at lunch. How many players, how many OCs, how many offensive systems before we finally accept that it's not going to change under WM?

Few things are certain, but I can guarantee you that every single player--including Driskel-- would be performing better under a different regime. The culture has become so toxic that until it is changed, we will almost certainly see the same results.

I look at it as a failure of lack of direction. Muschamp had a clear message of what he wanted on offense and defense. He picked up coordinators who fit that vision, but we didn't have the personel to fit that vision. Then he changes to a coordinator that moves away from that offensive vision while still not recruiting pieces for that vision. Now we have moved further away that vision both offensively and a bit defensively. And continue to recruit in a way that doesn't fit where our team is now, or where he wanted to go in the future. His biggest crime might be not staying in line with himself or his vision of what needed to be run.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n73879 said:
I look at it as a failure of lack of direction. Muschamp had a clear message of what he wanted on offense and defense. He picked up coordinators who fit that vision, but we didn't have the personel to fit that vision. Then he changes to a coordinator that moves away from that offensive vision while still not recruiting pieces for that vision. Now we have moved further away that vision both offensively and a bit defensively. And continue to recruit in a way that doesn't fit where our team is now, or where he wanted to go in the future. His biggest crime might be not staying in line with himself or his vision of what needed to be run.

I like Muschamp, I really do. But I don't think even these will be able to help "his vision".

images

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n73901 said:
I like Muschamp, I really do. But I don't think even these will be able to help "his vision".

images

When he came in he wanted to run a pro style offense and stout 4-3 defense based on a strong front seven. Pease and Roper are both spread offense guys. Quin fit defensively what he wanted to do, and Durkin is really just a waste of space outside of recruiting. If you are going pro-style you start by recruiting linemen which he didn't do. We have only recruited one pro-style quarterback in his time here. We did pick up pro-style backs, and at receiver we finally have the length for a pro-style. The vision he had coming in was a solid vision, especially with what some questions about NFL scouts and the spread system at the time. The problem is, that he didn't recruit or get coaches that fit those designs, which is completely on him as the CEO of the program.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;73863 said:
Just had this discussion at lunch. How many players, how many OCs, how many offensive systems before we finally accept that it's not going to change under WM? Few things are certain, but I can guarantee you that every single player--including Driskel-- would be performing better under a different regime. The culture has become so toxic that until it is changed, we will almost certainly see the same results.
Amen.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n73863 said:

I kind of agree. But I will say I thought treon could have brought some excitement to the offense. Not that I would expect him to put up video game numbers but I thought if we was able to bring him along slowly we could gain alot of momentum on the offensive side of the ball and in recruiting. I think the Harris was just a huge bubble buster. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n73782 said:
Winston is still the best quarterback in college football. Benjamin did not "bail" him out. He's the most accurate passer out there. He's not perfect, but the ball goes exactly where he wants it to go the vast majority of time with the right amount of speed for the occasion. . I think you've seen a drop off due to the receivers and him not yet being on the same page, except for Greene. Winston throws to a spot, he expects his receivers to be there, it hasn't happened yet this year. I think that will change with a former gator commit, Lane, and the rumored "big flip" to Florida, Rudolph becoming more in synch with Winston. Mariota gets excused for his poor offensive line, yet Winston hasn't had good protection going back to the National Championship game, but he still figures out a way to win. No, you're dreaming if you think that any receiver "bails" out the game's most accurate passer. His throws are dictated by who he's throwing to. For example, the same play, an inside slant, that as the winning TD in the National Championship game was run last week against Wake, but Winston didn't throw it high, he threw it where Greene could catch it, not Benjamin. If you don't realize that Winston is still the best player in college football, I don't think you are being objective. Mariota? He chokes at home against a 24 point underdog and hasn't even won a division title in his career. Gurley? He's a great player, he's not as dominant a player as Winston, or Georgia wouldn't have lost against South Carolina. No, with the game on the line, there is no one to compare with Winston, he never fails to rise to the occasion. He did 'driskel' against N.C. State late in the game, but made up for it on the next drive.

STFU, Nole.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
ntcrze;n73782 said:

Flipping suckinole :nutswinger:in the house..... :hehehe:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n73863 said:

This! :clap:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
See!!! That's like a Royal Decree. And bipartisan support, also.

It's done, folks. J or Ox, make it happen.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n73782 said:

You hero is a flaming, stinking, pile of :kiffin:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n73848 said:
Winston is an outstanding QB, but he isn't in my top 3 right now for many reasons.

well he is 27th in the nation in quarterback rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator