Not open for further replies.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n117986 said:
What you said last time is exactly what I said, he did what others have done before him. He didn't take a program that was long dorminant and make them into a power. He took a cyclically average team, and made them average. What others have done before him.

:facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n117988 said:
Mullen is going to beat the crap out of Ox's boy tomorrow
Doesn't matter. Mullen is still dung and stuck in cowbell hell no matter how much he wants out. I can just imagine how much those carpetbagger bytches hate that place.

Maybe Michigan will get desperate after the first dozen candidates turn them down.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n117956 said:
Ask Mullin and Prescott about Sabans defense, oh and you can go ahead and ask Sumlin and probably Malzahn after Bama shuts them out tomorrow. The problem with last years bowl game was nothing more than lack of motivation.

Sounds you have a selective memory to this. This season the team to put the most points on Bama was a spread team in WV with 23 points.

The aggies put 42 points on Bama last season. Auburn put 34. OU put 45....all spread teams.

In 2012 the aggies put 29 points on Bama. Utah put 31 points on Bama in the 2008 Sugar bowl.

Spread offenses are by far more successful against Saban defenses than non spread offenses.

Spread offenses are here to stay. Even the highest level of football on earth is being dominated by spread offenses.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fun N' Stun;n117994 said:
This season the team to put the most points on Bama was a spread team in WV with 23 points.
A spread team coached by a Mumme-baby Holgerson who passes the ball 60-80 times a game. Ditto with ATM. That Utah team threw for 40+ passes and 350 yards IIRC. It was no Meyer/Mullen run only offense. Hell, plenty of people on here call any passing offense "the pro style".

I don't mind your spreadfest but don't try to act like there is no difference between the pass first guys and the stuck in the 50s running Bob Davie's option guys (mostly just the 50s veer without TEs).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n117991 said:
Ole Miss would win the East. Missy State could win it all. Auburn played for the NC last year. Texas A&M was a bear with Manziel. Add all that up with Bama and LSU and I would call it the toughest division in the history of divisional play over the last 3 years.

Would they, they would beat Georgia? Or Missouri? Unlike Ole Miss Georiga beat both Arkansa and Auburn. But according to you similar opponents don't mean anything. Missouri handled TAM and will get their shot against Arkansas this week. I didn't realize that Auburn being 0 for SEC play in 2012, playing for an NC 2013, and being a slightly above average this year. TAM being 5-2, 4-4 (loss to Missouri), and 3-5 (loss to Missouri) makes them jaugernaunts the last 3 years. So two teams make it the best division in football? That is your excuse? Alabama has been consistantly good. LSU have been5-2, 5-2, and 4-4 in SEC play. But yeah, all four teams you mentioned have all had 9 wins season all 3 years, because they have been "ridiculously good", or maybe you are making excuses for why someone so far hasn't been able to get more then 4 wins on his SEC schedule with Vanderbilt being his annual East opponent the last three. The game against Tennesse helped him get past 3 wins this year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n117992 said:

Doesn't mean much for a guy who don't look at facts. So what they were down for two years, they were down for two years before Nutt took over and got them to 9 wins. I'm sure you celebrate those wins against Presbertyan, Texas El-Paso, etc.. almost have of those 7-8, those are games he should win. But you like to celebrate them because the SEC resume speaks for itself. Try actually researching what he has done, instead of imagining it. You're as bad as the super pro-Muschamp pumpers. Inflating a few wins to overshadow real facts. This is year 3 for him, he can't use the previous regime as an excuse for his team.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n117998 said:
Where is this thread going? Are peeps gonna be bummed or ecstatic with this hire?

We will all be ecstatic about a change in regime, just it really comes into question how much expectations have fallen due to the previous regime. Freeze wouldn't even be thought as any were close to good enough for the job 3-4 years ago.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n117976 said:
Saban's teams have consistently pummeled run-based spread (and every other run offense). They have consistently struggled against any team that can pass (ATM with Johnny Cocaine, Ugly with Murray, Scammy Scam, SOS, Oklahoma etc). I know, I know... they just lost focus in all those games... or as Chimp would say they had eye problems. Thee common denominator is a good passing game, even with a terrible defense like ATM has fielded since hiring Mark Snyder and the mediocre ones Barn has had.

The reason is simple, Saban commits to the run first on defense with both strategy and personnel (huge backers and safeties, run stopper first corners).

If you can pass and score on them, you get them out of their comfort zones on both offense and defense.

Ask Sumlin how his pass happy attack fared against Bama this year...It only takes good sound LOS teams a year or 2 to figure out gimmicky pass happy offenses. The only battle amongst the Miss. schools, Auburn and TAMU next year will be to see who gets bowl eligible.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
OcalaGator83;n117979 said:
What has Freeze done that others haven't done at Ole Miss? Cutcliffe won 10 games and a share of the SEC West title there. Has Freeze done that? People seem to want to pretend that Freeze has done things at Ole MIss that nobody else has ever done, and that's just not true.

You forgot Nutt beat the NC Gators, went 10-3 ?, and won the Cotton Bowl in 2008.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some of these posts are crazy imo. He took a team that was 1-15 in its last 16 SEC games and has them at 500 or better this season in SEC games when they are playing in the West division that is stronger than it has ever been. Ole Miss was 2-10 with no SEC wins the season before he took over.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n117982 said:
T asked who had better recruits the last 5 years (for Beliema and Freeze), on the closed part two of this thread, I'll start from 2012 which was Bielemia's last year at Wisconsin (using Rivals rankings because they were free and I'm lazy today):
Arkansas: 34th Ole Miss: 40th

Arkansas: 24th Ole Miss: 19th

Arkansas: 49th Ole Miss: 18th

Arkansas: 16th Ole Miss: 18th

Arkansas: 36th Ole Miss: 29th

Arkansas: 31st Ole Miss; 27th

So recruits wise Ole Miss was a better job than Arkansas was been the last 5 years. Now this is not an endorsement for Bilemia who I do not think is a fit for Florida culturally. He would be worse hire than Freeze.

You also forgot to mention off field situations that were 10x worse than what we had here at UF. Not to mention Arky's injury situation last year was as bad as UF's.
You don't think Matt Jones, Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane, the strength of our team along with defense, wouldn't go absolutely berserk playing under Bielema's offense ? I can't even imagine how open our WR's would be off play action.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This Arkansas love is amusing. A team that has been real bad in SEC play. Just because a team wins a few at the end of a season doesn't mean they will romp the next season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n118009 said:
You also forgot to mention off field situations that were 10x worse than what we had here at UF. Not to mention Arky's injury situation last year was as bad as UF's.
You don't think Matt Jones, Kelvin Taylor and Adam Lane, the strength of our team along with defense, wouldn't go absolutely berserk playing under Bielema's offense ? I can't even imagine how open our WR's would be off play action.

How's that strategy worked for us this year?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, I get it. You don't like Freeze. We can argue all week long and no one's opinion is going to change. Like many of us have said, he's certainly not our top choice but we'd support the hire as we would with anyone else. How fuggin hard is that to understand?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Freeze isn't in my top five, but I would support the hire, if it happens.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n117985 said:
It's a moronathon around here. The mouth-breather crowd literally pick whatever person won last week. It was Ruffin McNeil the week after ECU beat OSU.

BTW Bielema wouldn't be a bad choice and he's not just a power offense guy. He's had several years with 3000+ passing yards when he had the right QB. Personally, I'd much rather see his offense than Mullen or similar. I remember about a month ago having a conversation with Sas that Arky would be the best team in the East and a few people laughed. Oh well. Who's laughing now?

However, he is a pretty poor recruiter, even given the location of Wisconsin. Believe it or not there are plenty of kids who consider places like Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin etc. Madison (stunning to me) is listed often as a "best city". (I smh every time I see that. I'd rather be in Arky for sure. Maybe I'm just a southern boy who doesn't properly appreciate snow and tundra conditions.) I suspect he'd recruit just fine at UF, however. I think everyone recruits well enough at UF and I doubt he'd do the Chimp thing of totally whiffing almost every year on positions of great need.

Bielema's defenses are inconsistent. I wonder how much of that was talent problems, particularly at Wisky.

One guy is good on offense, great on defense and a great recruiter. The other is good on defense, inconsistent on defense and a poor recruiter. It's a simple choice really and Fooley definitely weighs recruiting very highly regardless of how you weigh it.

Recruiting at Wis. is at least as hard as it would be to recruit at OM. Penn State, ND, Michigan, Michigan State OSU, Nebraska and even Missouri would be considered before Wis. by recruits in that region. BTW Miss. I believe produces like 5th or 6th highest recruits in the country...ever heard of a good HS player from Cheeseland ? The reason Bielema would be good and has been good in the past is he develops a OL and DL first and foremost. Yes, his teams have been productive throwing the ball with average skill position players.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n118016 said:
Recruiting at Wis. is at least as hard as it would be to recruit at OM. Penn State, ND, Michigan, Michigan State OSU, Nebraska and even Missouri would be considered before Wis. by recruits in that region. BTW Miss. I believe produces like 5th or 6th highest recruits in the country...ever heard of a good HS player from Cheeseland ? The reason Bielema would be good and has been good in the past is he develops a OL and DL first and foremost. Yes, his teams have been productive throwing the ball with average skill position players.
Yeah, but he's 2-13 in the SEC. Cross him off the list.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Fun N' Stun;n117994 said:
Sounds you have a selective memory to this. This season the team to put the most points on Bama was a spread team in WV with 23 points.

The aggies put 42 points on Bama last season. Auburn put 34. OU put 45....all spread teams.

In 2012 the aggies put 29 points on Bama. Utah put 31 points on Bama in the 2008 Sugar bowl.

Spread offenses are by far more successful against Saban defenses than non spread offenses.

Spread offenses are here to stay. Even the highest level of football on earth is being dominated by spread offenses.

WVU was 1st game of the season.
Last year was a "down year" for Bama.
2012 was the first year Sumlin-TAMU was in the league. If the game had been 5 minutes longer Bama would have won. TAMU had ridiculous luck at the beginning of that game.
2008 was another uninterested team by Bama.
Spread offenses only beat Bama when they have a down season or are uninterested.
See a pattern here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member