Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n120772 said:
Are you seriously comparing Urban and McElewain? Wobs, come on, even you aren't that dumb.

But for sh*** and gigs.

Urban

10-2 - Oregon and California.

12-0 - Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, and a Fiesta Bowl Win

McElewain

0 big wins, and hasn't won his conference.

2003:
8-5 Oregon
8-6 California

2004:
3-8 Arizona
7-5 TAM
6-6 UNC
8-4 Pittsburgh (Fiesta Bowl, after Urbs took the job)

g8rgolfer

Nov 18, 2014
Gator_Chompz;n120784 said:
Eagles
Source: University Of Florida To Contact Chip Kelly Regarding Head Coaching Vacancy

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfvR8

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, University of Florida Athletic Director Jeremy Foley will contact Eagles head coach Chip Kelly as early as Tuesday of this week to “kick the tires” on Kelly’s interest in returning to the college scene.
The source went on to say, “Foley does not plan to officially interview Kelly yet, but will simply gauge Kelly’s interest and make his first pitch.”
Kelly’s name has been brought up before with other college coaching vacancies, but this source actually had the AD ready for action with a timeline.
Florida’s head coaching spot officially opened up when Will Muschamp was let go, following the Gators’ 24-19 loss to Florida State on Saturday night. During his four years in Gainesville, Muschamp went 28-21 and just 10-13 over his last two seasons. Despite the school’s coaching vacancy being so fresh, the source said Foley’s interest in Kelly “goes as far back as August.”
A return to college for Kelly wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to some considering his success at Oregon and his odd departure from Eugene. Kelly was thought to be off the market after a lengthy nine hour interview with the Philadelphia Eagles on January 5th, 2013. Furthermore, afterwards Kelly told Oregon Big-Wig Phil Knight he was staying with the Ducks. However, ten days later, Kelly was surprisingly hired by the Eagles. And just ten days after that, the NCAA ended a 27-month investigation by punishing Oregon with sanctions for recruiting violations. This wavering from the usually assertive Kelly leads some to believe he was only trying to escape to the NFL for a short time.
In Kelly’s defense, he says he’s in the NFL to stay.
According to Kelly, he “burned the boats” when asked about a possible return to college at his introductory press conference with the Eagles in January of 2013. It was a reference to Spanish Conquistador Hernan Cortez, who burned his ships after arriving in the New World to let his men know there would be no going back to Spain. Conquer or die.
Would he go?
Well, why would a coach who has started his NFL career going 19-9, on the verge of winning his second division title in two years, want to rebuild his boats and even entertain the idea of going back to college? I don’t know. More money? Less taxing life-style? Better chance at long-term job security? Getting to be the God of a campus? Who knows.
As far as Philadelphia goes, let’s hope he’s stays put, at least, a little bit longer.

I hope Foley kicks the living chit out of that tire! I would do unspeakable acts for all if it meant Chip would be our coach. But ... it aint gonna happen. Sigh.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Keep this thread about Hugh Freeze.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n120772 said:
Are you seriously comparing Urban and McElewain? Wobs, come on, even you aren't that dumb.

But for sh*** and gigs.

Urban

10-2 - Oregon and California.

12-0 - Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, and a Fiesta Bowl Win

McElewain

0 big wins, and hasn't won his conference.

Um... the Fiesta Bowl win was Pitt... are you trying to count that twice. It was a bad big east team.

I agree that Urban had a better resume than McElwain coming in, but who has Urban's resume at this point?

Urban was the closest thing to a sure hire there ever was. Other than that... there are no guarantees... McElwain has shown he can run an offense that can succeed in the SEC and against tough defenses (our 2009). He has won championships and shown the ability to recruit top level athletes to a school in the SEC. He has succeeded at Colorado State building a program from failure to success. This shows he has developed players which is key to what we need.

I would prefer Patterson from TCU, but between Freeze and McElwain I don't have a preference. I prefer either of them to McDaniels because I agree that McDaniels would run for a NFL job as soon as possible. I'd prefer Stoops to either, but as I have said before I don't believe for a minute he is coming here...

So who else do you think we could get? Holliday (I'd prefer the above), Rodriguez (no interested, due to NCAA issues at Michigan), Kelly (I'd love him, but think it is a pipe dream especially with the NCAA issues), Dabo (prefer the above), Urban (don't think he is coming back), Briles (wants to stay in Texas), Spurrier (isn't going to happen)....

So who else do you want... who do you see out there that is better than McElwain and we could realistically get. Freeze would be the only possibilty outside of Patterson.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of talk Freeze will be signing to remain at 4 million and a 500k total raise for his assistants as early as tomorrow.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator_Chompz;n120784 said:
Eagles
Source: University Of Florida To Contact Chip Kelly Regarding Head Coaching Vacancy

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfvR8

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, University of Florida Athletic Director Jeremy Foley will contact Eagles head coach Chip Kelly as early as Tuesday of this week to “kick the tires” on Kelly’s interest in returning to the college scene.
The source went on to say, “Foley does not plan to officially interview Kelly yet, but will simply gauge Kelly’s interest and make his first pitch.”
Kelly’s name has been brought up before with other college coaching vacancies, but this source actually had the AD ready for action with a timeline.
Florida’s head coaching spot officially opened up when Will Muschamp was let go, following the Gators’ 24-19 loss to Florida State on Saturday night. During his four years in Gainesville, Muschamp went 28-21 and just 10-13 over his last two seasons. Despite the school’s coaching vacancy being so fresh, the source said Foley’s interest in Kelly “goes as far back as August.”
A return to college for Kelly wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to some considering his success at Oregon and his odd departure from Eugene. Kelly was thought to be off the market after a lengthy nine hour interview with the Philadelphia Eagles on January 5th, 2013. Furthermore, afterwards Kelly told Oregon Big-Wig Phil Knight he was staying with the Ducks. However, ten days later, Kelly was surprisingly hired by the Eagles. And just ten days after that, the NCAA ended a 27-month investigation by punishing Oregon with sanctions for recruiting violations. This wavering from the usually assertive Kelly leads some to believe he was only trying to escape to the NFL for a short time.
In Kelly’s defense, he says he’s in the NFL to stay.
According to Kelly, he “burned the boats” when asked about a possible return to college at his introductory press conference with the Eagles in January of 2013. It was a reference to Spanish Conquistador Hernan Cortez, who burned his ships after arriving in the New World to let his men know there would be no going back to Spain. Conquer or die.
Would he go?
Well, why would a coach who has started his NFL career going 19-9, on the verge of winning his second division title in two years, want to rebuild his boats and even entertain the idea of going back to college? I don’t know. More money? Less taxing life-style? Better chance at long-term job security? Getting to be the God of a campus? Who knows.
As far as Philadelphia goes, let’s hope he’s stays put, at least, a little bit longer.

pipe dream...I hope Foley has something better up his sleeve

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n120811 said:
So who else do you want... who do you see out there that is better than McElwain and we could realistically get. Freeze would be the only possibilty outside of Patterson.
:headbang:Great response. I'm not seeing very many options either. I also think Foley would love to make a hire this week if he could.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n120888 said:
I rather he take longer and kick ass-even if our class this year is not that great- than rush and get another Muschamp.

Can't argue with that. I am just not sure where Foley's head is at these days and whether some of these big names (Stoops/Kelly/Freeze, etc.) are really all that interested. Time will tell.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n120742 said:
Fellas, if he really loved Ole Miss and wouldn't leave, the why the hell would they be giving him a huge raise? There's no reason to, he's not going anywhere, right?

It's about money, it always is.

It is not ALL about the money. He was informed by the school that an extension and raise were being worked on to retain him several weeks ago. There is no mention that he asked for it or threatened to leave if that did not happen.

So he knows that is happening long before the UF job officially came open and he knows he is going to get a nice raise to stay at the school he WANTS to coach.

If none of that had happened, perhaps he would entertain a bidding war for his services. But the place he is at and the place he wants to be is going to take care of him. It is not so farfetched that he would be loyal to Mississippi. Nothing I have read or heard about him indicates that he is the typical, greedy, move from place to place, college coach you want him to be.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/o...medium=twitter

OXFORD -- Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze remain in contract negotiations Monday afternoon.
The sides are making progress, a source told the Clarion-Ledger, and there seems to be increased optimism that Freeze will stay at the school.

There is not a signed contract, though, contrary to a Memphis radio report
There's little doubt that Florida's interest in Freeze was legitimate and there may have been mutual interest. But the Gators search does not seem to have ended on Freeze, and Florida released a statement Monday morning specifically saying no offer had been made.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n120962 said:

OXFORD -- Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze remain in contract negotiations Monday afternoon.
The sides are making progress, a source told the Clarion-Ledger, and there seems to be increased optimism that Freeze will stay at the school.

There's little doubt that Florida's interest in Freeze was legitimate and there may have been mutual interest. But the Gators search does not seem to have ended on Freeze, and Florida released a statement Monday morning specifically saying no offer had been made.

Foley needs to shoot Freeze a text and say these two words: 5 million.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n120888 said:
I rather he take longer and kick ass-even if our class this year is not that great- than rush and get another Muschamp.

OK... so take longer and get who? There are other programs out there looking for a coach. What if Freeze wants to stay at Ole Miss and Nebraska makes a play at McElwain while we are "taking longer". Then McElwain takes the Nebraska job and we are down to Holliday? Got to look at all angles here. We need to move quick enough to get a guy we want and not be left eating scraps!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n120962 said:

If accurate, this would appear to point to a person of very significant interest having come up on the radar.

tarjf

Gator Alum
Nov 8, 2014
Gatoravatara;n120992 said:
Dont you remember? Foley is all about value hires. Most people under these circumstances would bigfoot the offer. Now if he has someone better then I take that back. But if his pfooting around causes us to get a third tier coach, oh well. Now the season is over, there is no reason to wait, unless there is nobody good wanting to come and he is scrambling, or Chipster is a high possibility.

I'm telling you I like Freeze, but if we can get McElwain...GatorNation may not be ecstatic at first but he will be a phenomenal hire...phenomenal!

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n121009]

If accurate, this would appear to point to a person of very significant interest having come up on the radar. [/QUOTE]

Chip Kelly? There's at least a decent chance that Kelly thinks coaching in the NFL sucks, even though he's been successful. We simply don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator