SOURCES: Coaching rumors, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
oxrageous;n110430 said:
So....did you break into heaving sobs upon hearing about Muschamp? My sources say you did.

No. But was saddened by it because I was pulling for the guy. Good guy that gave it his all, but didn't work out for a variety of reasons. I still think he will end up being a highly successful HC in the future. There is also the apprehension of who the next coach will be. I have no idea how viable the few hot coaching names are. I'm not a big change for the sake of change guy. If we don't land one of our top targets I would probably rather have stayed the course. Have to see what shakes out.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
(1) Urbs ****s the bed against Michigan or Whisky in the Big Ten title game.

(2) Kelly leaves ND for UF.

(3) ND job open, Urbs leaves Columbus for dream job number three.

Meh, could happen I guess.....

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n110451 said:
Why in God's name would Foley want to bring him here? Doesn't he want the Gators to stop fighting with him and each other? This is actually his most important hire. This will determine whether we are going to be Alabama or Kentucky.

:panic:

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Gatorbreath;n110431 said:
Perhaps rereading the original post would be helpful. I never said Foley said anything about either religion or geography. I was pointing out that Brian Kelly seems to be settled in at pretty much the perfect fit for him.

I have no clue what any coach thinks is the perfect fit for them.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n110460 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath View Post

Perhaps rereading the original post would be helpful. I never said Foley said anything about either religion or geography. I was pointing out that Brian Kelly seems to be settled in at pretty much the perfect fit for him.

I have no clue what any coach thinks is the perfect fit for them.

Nor do I, which why I carefully chose the word "seems"... :rolleyes:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why in God's name would Foley want to bring him here? Doesn't he want the Gators to stop fighting with him and each other? This is actually his most important hire. This will determine whether we are going to be Alabama or Kentucky.

We get it you think chip Kelly's going to leave the eagles

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It can't be a current NFL coach. The hire must be made before the recruiting dead period of Dec. 14-31 to let the new HC assemble his staff for a recruiting push after.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I have it from reliable sources that I've yet to have an actual fight with Foley. We'll be keeping a close eye on it, though.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Brian Kelly would be a good hire, not sure he would leave ND, but he certainly could get great talent at UF. He has already seen what happens when he tries to play the SEC with ND level talent... what happens if he can recruit SEC talent? Maybe he would bite.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure any of these big names is going to come. I think we need to be ready for a "second tier" choice, which is not so much synonymous with second choice as it is more risk because less is known. Foley loves value and this is where you find it. McElwain's an interesting candidate. He's run a solid program, knows how to play call, knows the SEC and is earning 1.5 million. He'd come at a relatively bargain price.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n110502]He'd come at a relatively bargain price.[/QUOTE]
We just did that. Now we're going to do it again? How can UF consider themselves an elite program if they aren't willing to pay coaches what the others are paying? It's only recently that the assistants starting getting more money. What the coordinators had been making until recently had been a running joke.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n110502]I'm not sure any of these big names is going to come. I think we need to be ready for a "second tier" choice, which is not so much synonymous with second choice as it is more risk because less is known. Foley loves value and this is where you find it. McElwain's an interesting candidate. He's run a solid program, knows how to play call, knows the SEC and is earning 1.5 million. He'd come at a relatively bargain price. [/QUOTE]

The big issue here is his buyout, but if the salary is less than Champ (let's say 3 million) then you do the buy out and still come out ahead long term.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n110502]I'm not sure any of these big names is going to come. I think we need to be ready for a "second tier" choice, which is not so much synonymous with second choice as it is more risk because less is known. Foley loves value and this is where you find it. McElwain's an interesting candidate. He's run a solid program, knows how to play call, knows the SEC and is earning 1.5 million. He'd come at a relatively bargain price. [/QUOTE]

I wish I could agree, but I think this is still a top job and I think we will land a top coach already out there. Everything is pointing to Stoops. Many believe this is the time he would listen and it could happen. I am thinking Harbaugh, Stoops, Freeze, or even Malzahn might take the bite, if offered. We have NFL type money, recruiting is in your back yard, and the ability to play for a conference and national championship every year. Not many programs you can do that. Not to mention, the SEC East is wide open and ripe for picking while the SEC West picks each other off and out of the running.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n110505 said:
We just did that. Now we're going to do it again? How can UF consider themselves an elite program if they aren't willing to pay coaches what the others are paying? It's only recently that the assistants starting getting more money. What the coordinators had been making until recently had been a running joke.

No, we didn't. We hired a DC with no experience beyond that. Look at McElwain's resume. Hiring him would be very similar to an up and comer that won at Duke, or Utah.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n110505 said:

Relax. I'm not saying that's the eventual outcome. I'm simply keeping an open mind to all possibilities. Sure we can afford more, but what's the sense in spending more unless you get someone who's really worth it? I like the idea of a proven someone like Stoops, but let's be honest. His upside is directly proportional to what he can do to leverage recruiting in Florida. Coachingwise? We already know who we're getting with Stoops. I guess I'm evolving in my thinking. I've been reading a lot about McElwain and like what I see. And he's not a coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator