SOURCES: Coaching rumors, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Someone whack job at SB Nation got the idea of turning the top six UF coaching candidates into WWE 2K15 video game superstars. Here's what emerged.

spurrier-elimination.0.gif

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...day-mike-gundy

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Original DC;n110541 said:
Gundy is a loss away from being Muschamped by his current employer, why on earth he's even being mentioned as a UF candidate is beyond me.

Do people not realize Gundy is currently on his own "hot seat?" Hell, throw Brady Hoke in the mix too.

I would be seriously disappointed. This is one of the names that had me saying "maybe we just stick with the current terrible coach" a few weeks back. Shirley, we can do better that this.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n110314 said:
FSU last year. 61% passing, 39% running.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/234/total/index.html

Oklahoma 2000 was also 61% and 39%.

And FSU still ran for over 200 ypg last year. So if that's unbalanced, then I suppose you got me. Besides, 60/40 is not what I'm talking about, and it's not what Law is talking about. I'm talking about teams that might run the ball 15 times a game.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n110548]Someone whack job at SB Nation got the idea of turning the top six UF coaching candidates into WWE 2K15 video game superstars. Here's what emerged.
[/QUOTE]

I can't make out who's who! :) And who is left standing?!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n110551 said:
I didnt know he was a Gundy guy. I am not panning you. I respect what you bring to the conversation. I'm definitely panning Gundy. Foley has already taken one risk that has blown up in his face. You know exactly what would happen if Foley made the Gundy announcement and people checked out his record this year. He would start under an enormous amount of pressure compare to if Foley made the Stoops announcement.

Translation: Foley likes straight-laced standup guys. I can agree with that.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
Three worst coaching names to be brought up: Jack Del Rio, Greg Schiano, and Mike Gundy. The names shouldn't even be allowed to appear in this thread :headshake:

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n110502]I'm not sure any of these big names is going to come. I think we need to be ready for a "second tier" choice, which is not so much synonymous with second choice as it is more risk because less is known. Foley loves value and this is where you find it. McElwain's an interesting candidate. He's run a solid program, knows how to play call, knows the SEC and is earning 1.5 million. He'd come at a relatively bargain price. [/QUOTE]

I actually think the "Billy Donovan model" and the idea that Foley loves value is what backfired on him with the Muschamp hire. I think he was hoping to land the Billy Donovan of football when he hired Muschamp. Didn't work, obviously, I can't really fault him for trying that, but I can certainly question if he were to try that approach again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n110561 said:
I actually think the "Billy Donovan model" and the idea that Foley loves value is what backfired on him with the Muschamp hire. I think he was hoping to land the Billy Donovan of football when he hired Muschamp. Didn't work, obviously, I can't really fault him for trying that, but I can certainly question if he were to try that approach again.

If he hires a coordinator instead of a guy with head coaching experience then he should be question the approach. But like Billy this hire should have head coaching experience.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Gatoravatara;n110557 said:
Ugh. So Texas can get Strong, ND can get Kelly, ATM can get Sumlin, Ole Miss can get Freeze, Miss State can get Mullen, but we are stuck with sloppy thirds. I thought we were Florida.

All were easier to get when they were got. Not so much now.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n110547 said:
It's actually running pretty rampant on Rivals mainboard as well. I don't see it happening, but a few paysite articles have mentioned him, and I think the speculation took off from there.

Foley made it clear that he was going to start contacting people as early as Monday evening. It's now Wednesday afternoon and he's had 48 hours to make contacts. It's tough to keep that quiet in this day and age of immediacy and social media. So, this momentum we're seeing with Brian Kelly may be the result of some contact that has been made. Doesn't mean he's been offered, but who knows.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n110567 said:
If he hires a coordinator instead of a guy with head coaching experience then he should be question the approach. But like Billy this hire should have head coaching experience.

This is the point that keeps being missed.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n110557 said:
Ugh. So Texas can get Strong, ND can get Kelly, ATM can get Sumlin, Ole Miss can get Freeze, Miss State can get Mullen, but we are stuck with sloppy thirds. I thought we were Florida.

All those guys were nobody's atleast by your standards when they were hired. Are you really this ignorant?

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
t-gator;n110579 said:
All those guys were nobody's atleast by your standards when they were hired. Are you really this ignorant?
Lol, when he started naming Freeze and Mullen... they would definitely been "nobodies" by his standard. Especially when BKelly came from Cincy and some people questioned that hiring when it happened

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Stoops now the slight betting favorite on Bovada at 15/4

Neither Kelly listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.