Not open for further replies.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n111551 said:
Twenty pages in, do we need a fourth installment of this topic, Ox?
MidwestChomp;n111557 said:
He let the last one go 40 pages. We need a coach quick or Ox will run out of room for these posts.

Pages are really not the problem. It's the fact that mobile users can't see when there's new posts once a thread goes over 500 posts. So once a thread hits 500+ posts, the mobile users start asking for a new thread to be started, and Ox, being the kind wonderful loving message board admin he is, obliges.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n111562 said:
You're also forgetting or discounting two other critical differences between 2008 and 2009. 1) Murphy, giving us an extra player to stretch the field and 2) Traut and Watkins on the OL.

I get the criticism of that 2009 offense, and Daz specifically. But how often does a team lose one of the dynamic players in the history(PH), arguably its best true WR, and two veteran linemen, and not take a step backwards? And throw in the QB being in a concussion-induced haze for 3-4 games.

When I hear people bashing that team, I think it lends credibility to Alacoholica's post about fans never really appreciating what Meyer brought to the table. It's almost as if they were waiting for that first year it was unsuccessful('05 gets a pass) so they could say it wouldn't work. Yes, we needed to reload, and we had some misses in recruiting. But that happens with every coach and in every system. See 1999.

Not bashing, just agreeing that we had a drop in losing possibly greatest all-around athlete to ever put on a Gator uniform and a drop off in play calling. I did forget about losing Murphy as well, which was also a big blow. The offensive line drop. Meyer regardless of his personality is a top two coach in Florida history, and still a top 3 coach in college football.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n111448 said:
(lawgator) your generalizations are tedious and moronic.

Welcome to the club. Dude is a total and complete a-hole, has been for years. He's chief dark-cloud pumper and actually enjoys a state of misery surrounding UF athletics, way more than he derives joy from any successes. Anyone who actually wanted Florida to win football games became a "Muschimp lover and sunshine pumper" in his eyes. He thrives on sewing misery and discontent. Watch for it.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FLORIDA GATORS FOOTBALL
More Names to Eliminate from the Florida Coaching Search and One to Watch

Yesterday, Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun put out a list of names who won't be the next head coach at Florida. Two names on it are Dan Mullen and Rich Rodriguez, who we already knew aren't real candidates. Here are the rest, along with the reasons I personally think they're not potential replacements for Will Muschamp:

Lane Kiffin: This should be obvious, but he failed in another high profile job at USC. If he couldn't get it done there, he's not likely to get it done in Gainesville. And that's to say nothing of the off-field drama the guy has generated.
Mike Shanahan: Dooley says Shanahan doesn't want to coach again. Beyond that, Jeremy Foley's not going to hire someone older than 60 (probably not even 50, I say), and Shanahan largely hasn't won anything since last century.
Dana Holgorsen: For one thing, he went 4-8 in 2013. So did Muschamp. Besides that, he definitely doesn't fit Foley's vision of a "high character, high integrity" guy.
Tim Tebow: Like all fan bases, Florida's has its share of crazies. Clearly, they've been sending Dooley some mail.
Butch Davis: He did nothing at UNC, and he has the stink of NCAA issues and scandal from being there too.
Jon Gruden: Just, no. C'mon.
Kerwin Bell: For the uninitiated, Bell is a Gator quarterback from the 1980s who has seen some success at I-AA Jacksonville University since 2007. I can't see Foley hiring someone from I-AA, and JU doesn't even do scholarships. He's not qualified.
Sonny Dykes: Dooley accidentally listed Sonny's father Spike, but he meant Sonny. Anyway, he's not impressed at Cal that much, and he has shown no ability to develop a defense.
Chad Morris: After Ron Zook and Muschamp, no one expects Foley to hire someone without head coaching experience.
Jim McElwain: Dooley said on his podcast that Florida won't do McElwain's $7.5 million buyout. UF is already on the hook for about $6.4 million in buyout cash for Muschamp alone, so that would be awfully expensive even before the new salaries for McElwain and his staff.
Jim Harbaugh: I don't know that he wants to go back to the college level, and if he does, I think it's to his alma mater Michigan.
As Dooley says, it's far easier to eliminate names than to pick them out. One other from the podcast was Steve Spurrier, who Dooley says doesn't want the job back.

Big names who are conspicuous in their absence include Chip Kelly, Bob Stoops, Mike Gundy, Gary Patterson, and Hugh Freeze.

Kelly has said he hates recruiting and loves that NFL coaching is all about coaching. Plus, he actually once made a check out to a street agent. He's out.

For his part, Dooley thought Stoops would be worth a call back in October. I don't think he's leaving OU for anything but an NFL job, though. The Sooners are a part of college football royalty, so they won't have a problem making the playoff with a one- or zero-loss team even with the Big 12 in a diminished state. Does he really want to give up a program that's already built in his own image to go rebuild another program? I doubt it. He's had three other chances to take the Florida job and declined every time.

I see two potential roadblocks for Gundy. The first is, ironically, the reason he might leave his alma mater in the first place. Gundy doesn't have that great a relationship with the power brokers at OSU anymore, so he might actually jump ship. That said, why would an AD volunteer to take another AD's headache? The other is the the residue from the big SI report on OSU from a while back. While the joint investigation from the school and the NCAA determined most of the reporting to be unfounded, it did turn up three Level II violations. In the new violation scheme, those are more serious than the old secondary violations. The word on why RichRod isn't a candidate is his NCAA baggage, so that might be enough to eliminate Gundy as well.

According to those who think they know, wealthy TCU boosters from the oil and gas industry are taking care of Patterson financially. Nothing has been reported so I couldn't tell you any of the supposed details, but this story is one that is told far and wide that I've heard of for years. Patterson would need motivation beyond money, but potentially being left out of the playoff this year despite having an 11-1 team could provide it. Beyond that, the big drug bust at TCU a couple of years ago might scare Foley off. One of Muschamp's tasks as head coach—one he seems to have succeeded at—was clamping down on the drug usage that had become too common under the Urban Meyer regime. If Patterson and Foley end up speaking seriously, which is a big if, that will be a major point of conversation.

Finally with Freeze, I am not sure he wants to leave Mississippi. He was born there, went to Southern Miss, and has never coached more than about an hour and a half's drive from the state's border. Plus fair or not, Freeze has a reputation of being a dirty recruiter. I am not connected to the recruiting scene, so I can't tell you the precise mix that created that reputation out of pure speculation derived from his blockbuster 2013 class, photos of money posted online, and general whispers from the recruiting world. I just know it's out there, and with Florida having had to get rid of two assistants during the Muschamp era (Aubrey Hill and Joker Phillips) for recruiting reasons, that reputation might be enough to keep Foley away.

The more I think about it, only one name surfaces for me in terms of both being a candidate who fits Foley's usual parameters and someone who would absolutely come: Louisiana-Lafayette's Mark Hudspeth. He fits the profile as a young (46) guy who nonetheless has more head coaching experience than you might realize. None of it is on the Power 5 level, but he was head coach at North Alabama for seven years and now has run ULL for four. Between those jobs, he got some SEC experience on Mullen's staff at Mississippi State in 2009-10.

His first three teams at Lafayette each went 9-4, the first nine-win seasons there since 1976. The program had only one eight-win season in between. While this year's team had three bad non-conference losses to Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, and Boise State, the Ragin' Cajuns are wins over App State and Troy from finishing the regular season 9-3 with an unblemished conference record. Three consecutive nine-win seasons at ULL is a real accomplishment, but getting a fourth would be just that much more impressive.

Hudspeth is an offensive coach, and his offenses have been among the best in the Sun Belt during his tenure. For instance, his program has had the highest passing efficiency rating in Sun Belt play in all but one year (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), with the only exception being in 2012 when he finished second to Gus Malzahn's Arkansas State. His defenses have largely been improving over his time there as well, and he'd ostensibly have the option to retain Muschamp's excellent defensive staff should they want to stay.

Hudspeth's buyout is manageable (for the likes of UF) at $1.25 million, and he fits Foley's preferred archetype of a young up-and-comer. The only potential problem could be on the character/NCAA front. I have seen a few scattered fans around the web suggest that Hudspeth might have issues there. Other than being on Mullen's staff during the Cam Newton affair—during which no one accused MSU of doing anything wrong, mind you—I don't know what they are referring to. I don't have sources and don't live in the recruiting world. No one is squeaky clean in this regard on the top level anyway, and the character/NCAA caveat applies to all potential hires.

It's very early in the process still, and I don't have any reason to think that Foley will break his promise not to contact any coaches before their regular seasons end. Right now is the time for researching and revising the candidate list. There won't be any real news for a while other than possibly more name eliminations.

I think Foley will want a splashier hire, and his people will eventually put out feelers to some of those bigger names like Stoops to gauge interest. But if the big names all say no, I would expect Hudspeth to be one of the top guys. I know better than to put money on a Jeremy Foley coaching search—in 2010, I didn't even consider Muschamp until the hire was being reported—but if I had to right now, I'd put it on Hudspeth. We'll see.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I wonder if Freeze idolizing Spurrier all the way down to wearing a visor will help us sway him to leaving Oxford. He must have pictured himself coaching in the Swamp at some point being such a big fan of the Head Ball Coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
TheDouglas78;n111577 said:
Not bashing, just agreeing that we had a drop in losing possibly greatest all-around athlete to ever put on a Gator uniform and a drop off in play calling. I did forget about losing Murphy as well, which was also a big blow. The offensive line drop. Meyer regardless of his personality is a top two coach in Florida history, and still a top 3 coach in college football.

Yeah, I wasn't really implying that you were bashing. I just hear it all the time, and that 2009 team gets so much heat for being a step-down, when people forget how much was lost. And more so than anything, there was a noticeable drop in hunger, which is also quite normal. Look at the noles right now. Look at Alabama in 2010 or even last year. Teams lose focus and intensity all the time when they've had success. Part of the deal, and much more the issue than Daz.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n111586 said:
I wonder if Freeze idolizing Spurrier all the way down to wearing a visor will help us sway him to leaving Oxford. He must have pictured himself coaching in the Swamp at some point being such a big fan of the Head Ball Coach.

Stoops and Freeze are still the two I think are frontrunners.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Probably just a secret meeting with Lane Kiffin. We probably should be tracking him, too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n111574 said:
Blocked here at the office for some reason. Could you share the names?

It's absurd. It's basically someone else writing, literally quoting, Dooley. Dooley says McElwaine is out. Dooley says Kelly is out. Dooley says Lane Kiffin is out. (Don't listen, DC.)

It should be blocked everywhere.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Law98gator;n111593 said:
Probably just a secret meeting with Lane Kiffin. We probably should be tracking him, too.

Probably on a segway to norman as we speak

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n111593 said:

Who wants Lane Kiffin, you? That'd be a slow pitch right down the middle for your miserable ass. 3 more years of endless ****iness.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n111593 said:

By the way, original Muschamp lover, who are your top choices?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
I think the buyout on McElwaine is overstated. He would not command as high an annual salary as some of the other names so that $7.5 million could be amortized over the length of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator