Recruiting Specifically, what has Mullen not done right?

If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• soflagator

• Slevin

• Okeechobee Joe

• GatorBart

• dubster1

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Ok...overall there seems to be consensus that DM has mostly met expectations so far and in many cases exceeded them.

There is concern by some that his transition class in recruiting was not quite up to their standard with particular emphasis on not filling up the class. Some concern that he won’t have a strong 2019 either.

Also a mention that letting Seider walk was a mistake of which I am in total agreement.

Almost unanimous agreement that until the ball is snapped we don’t know if DM with Florida players is going to be better than DM with MS players.

Personally I think we are in for a shock and our Gators are going to overachieve on the field and have a real good year. 10-3 including a bowl win.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Some of us old guys who remember the Spurrier years would have died off of course...

Now wait just a cotton pickin’ minute. I bought season tickets in 1990 and kept them 24 years - and I’m only 56! You make it sound like we’ve got one foot in the grave.

f2b5322c61397411a7274f45b36b4639.jpg

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Personally I think we are in for a shock and our Gators are going to overachieve on the field and have a real good year. 10-3 including a bowl win.

That’s quite possible and where they essentially were 2015-16.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

But you are missing the KEY criteria. Muschamp and McElwain had 10 or 10+ win seasons. Is 10-3 and a bowl win with the 50th ranked offense but 115th ranking passing yards offense and 114th passer rating offense going to cut it? I am not so sure, but maybe there are UF fans out there pining for a return to the days of Emmitt Smith, Neal Anderson etc.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think the passing game is going to be a pleasant surprise but i think the running game is going to be dynamic.

If we get Jefferson and Grimes cleared I like the potential of the passing game. Cleveland, Massey, Swain, et al. And I think Lewis is going to be productive at TE.

I’m looking forward to April 14th just to see a preview of what might be going down. Maybe we will be excited or maybe that’s when a bunch turn real sour on DM.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't either -- your reply, that is. What makes you think Mullen can just snap his fingers and have recruits fall in line?
I already showed a stat where Muschamp and Butters had a combined 10th ranked recruiting classes during their time here(7 years).... Certainly a 9 year HC in the SEC should be better than 2 newcomers to HC positions( NO CSU doesn't count as a real HC position).....right? And at UF.....THE FLAGSHIP university in the middle of the hottest state in the nation for recruiting????

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ok....he's also waiting til next year to sign all the "good guys" :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:......Let's just wait and see.....They all seem to do all the right things when they get here....Champ, Butters did also..........Let's find out once the rubber hits the road.
What's funny about "save all the good spots for next year" is we've got nothing but filler talent committed in this class :lol:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I'm firmly in the "not excited and wait and see camp". So far all the man has done is what any competent P5 coach would do. Sad thing is, its been so long since we've had a competent coach, many are excited by it. We still have no idea if he can beat elite teams and win championships and that's all I care about. There is no difference between a 7-5 season and a 10-2 season if both end with no titles. The head coach at UF should be expected to win titles, both SEC and the whole enchilada. Simply being competent doesn't excite me at all. Mullen could prove to be elite, but the jury is clearly still out and we won't get a read on what we have until the lights come on in prime time.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It could have been worse that's for sure. Just remember Mac inherited 2 years of NFL quality defenses and brought in a 23rd ranked class which included two 5 stars and looked like a train wreck up till NSD. We won the East and 10 games 2 years in a row.....Muschamp took Urbans boys one Driskel interception in the UGA game away from winning the East and playing for a NC......These were 2 bad coaches but Mullen doesn't have NEARLY in the cupboard what those 2 had......In other words he gonna have to coach his a$$ off to get anywhere near the results those 2 Buffoons got in the first 2 years....Are we gonna be patient enough for this?
As long as we show progress, I’ll be patient.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What's funny about "save all the good spots for next year" is we've got nothing but filler talent committed in this class :lol:
No it can't be......I've been told for the last 2 months that we won't take filler just to boost our ratings.....I think we've already got all the good recruits in the bag as "silent commits....:dunno:

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
It could have been worse that's for sure. Just remember Mac inherited 2 years of NFL quality defenses and brought in a 23rd ranked class which included two 5 stars and looked like a train wreck up till NSD. We won the East and 10 games 2 years in a row.....Muschamp took Urbans boys one Driskel interception in the UGA game away from winning the East and playing for a NC......These were 2 bad coaches but Mullen doesn't have NEARLY in the cupboard what those 2 had......In other words he gonna have to coach his a$$ off to get anywhere near the results those 2 Buffoons got in the first 2 years....Are we gonna be patient enough for this?
That depends on what you consider patient to be. I'm willing to be patient if there is continued progress on the field and not just top 10 recruiting classes but top 5 classes. I'm not saying you have to be Bama good at recruiting but I want to see us compete for the top spot yearly and not always be around 8-10. If we continue to recruit like we have the past 4 years and things slowly move along with the offense each year and were only winning 9 games a year it's not going to be easy to be patient.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Did we win yesterday...........if not get the deep pocket gator boosters in here, pay Millens off and get us a real BIG time BIG name coach.............somebody call Irvin Meyers, he has to be tired of all that cold and flying down to Fla for all those recruits.........besides his kids all grown up and he wont miss their volleyball games...............

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stick to analysis. Metaphors is not your thing.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If we get Jefferson and Grimes cleared I like the potential of the passing game. Cleveland, Massey, Swain, et al. And I think Lewis is going to be productive at TE.

All of the UF QB transfering, then being drafted and then making the NFL along with various bench sitting at UF UDFA WRs making NFL rosters have long ago convince me that what the passing game at UF needs is better coaching, better routes, better play calling, the players are and have been there. We shall see in the fall whether this staff brings in better passing schemes, routes, coaching and play calling. The spring game means nothing and never has.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
All of the UF QB transfering, then being drafted and then making the NFL along with various bench sitting at UF UDFA WRs making NFL rosters have long ago convince me that what the passing game at UF needs is better coaching, better routes, better play calling, the players are and have been there. We shall see in the fall whether this staff brings in better passing schemes, routes, coaching and play calling. The spring game means nothing and never has.

I get it about spring football. I just like Gator football and can’t wait to see the team on the field. Maybe there will be something to get excited about...maybe not. Either way it will be a great time.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I'm not gonna keep arguing this point BUT here are your facts OVER those 7 ball sucking years.....
Rivals final team recruiting ranking....
2011. UF 12TH
2012 UF 3RD......3-5 stars
2013 UF 4TH......2-5 stars
2014 UF 7TH......1- 5 star
2015 UF 23RD....2- 5 stars
2016 UF 14TH.....1- 5 star
2017 UF 9TH

That equals an AVERAGE ranking of 10TH
AVERAGING 1.5- 5 stars per year
Now before you get mad and call me an idiot just realize that.......I'm just saying 18TH is not on par with those ball sucking years...:dunno:

Why Rivals as opposed to 247 composite?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's a difference. Taking some three stars off the top of the pile is different than taking the leftovers 85% of whom committed in December.

Mullinz arrived in December with the early signing period looming 3 weeks away. That's not enough time to evaluate. It's no surprise that he leans heavily on kids he knew from his Cowbell recruiting days. By February, there is almost nothing left and nothing worth taking.

This was a shock to many. Most thought that only a quarter or so kids would commit early.

If the whole class sucks then I will be all be all over it.

However there will always be some reaches with this system, some Brandon James, Demps, and Raineys that don't fit in other systems and who don't do well in the star system because of that. The same will be true for some of the offensive lineman. We will go away from emphasizing strength and size to emphasizing speed and agility again. Remember that Meijer often signed 250-260 lb lineman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator