Spurrier hired as a consultant to coach Mac

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think all those 3-star recruits just became 4 stars. EVERYONE gets better with SOS is around. This is a great day for Florida Gators football.
This!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Orr has forgotten more about offensive football than these young yahoos will ever know, except for maybe Mac. He knows all the players from his era of playing and coaching and can bring them back in the fold if need be. He also knows all the playas of the bull type and their idiosyncrasies.

He has clearly stated he will not be "on the field" or overlooking the current coaches. He will limit his input to the coaches room if it is requested.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder whether Foley's retirement allowed this to happen.
Yes, I believe it does.
Also Foley benefits, because he goes out on a popular move, thus improving the memories of his legacy, one of the negative ones being the relationship history with Spurrier, another the Muschamp debacle- $6mil.

I notice in the video, Steve says Coach Mac had a lot to do with him getting here. Now, that may mean his personality, but I think it means Mac was actively instrumental. Seems like Mac has alluded to getting Spurrier back around the program in passing a few times this past year.

Last edited:

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
So much for the HBC staying off the sidelines. Hell of a feather in the cap when Mac goes out for pre game intros.... " Hey Kirby remember my buddy Steve?"

Actually a smart move by SOS, Putting the media circus on himself and letting Mac do his thing. ( And I'd bet my last dollar Mac knew what SOS was going to say)

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like he may already be giving JMac headaches. Kinda doubt Mac wanted that public, even if it's true. :lol:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...el-rio-gators-quarterback-20160729-story.html

This is part of my point. For all the ways Mac will benefit from Spurrier's presence in the program, he could also be hurt by it.
  1. Spurrier's much more honest and, at times, less calculating in the media than Mac. They have distinct styles and I doubt Spurrier changes or even hides who he is at this stage.
  2. Spurrier is much loved and we could see some coaching version of the old axiom, the backup QB is the most beloved player by the fans.
  3. When is the last time Spurrier wasn't 'in control' of the program / organization he was a part of? None of us know how easily or well he'll make that transition.
Whether Spurrier intends to or not, he casts a long shadow, especially in Gator Nation. I hope this goes off without a hitch, but it would be silly to think that it couldn't possibly cause issues.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac can handle it. If you're at any Big Time school there will be shadows to overcome. No worries here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The only way anyone could comment on the QB situation would be based on the way spring ended....This isn't any big deal because Del Rio was #1 leaving spring so he has to be considered #1 going into fall unless he was injured or suspended, right?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Reading between the lines and from his actual comments, SOS says he likes to be part of a team. He made it clear THIS was his home. He is gonna bring lots of former donors and players back into the fold. That will lead to more networking toward $$$ and hopefully more of the #star players we are infatuated by. He is selling the house in SC and now buying in Gville. IF anyone can see negatives about SOS being connected to the program for the 4th time ( there was another time) then they are just the resident "sky is falling" fans. The one thing about SOS is he does it HIS way. And you have to say it worked out pretty good for us in Gatorville.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Reading between the lines and from his actual comments, SOS says he likes to be part of a team. He made it clear THIS was his home. He is gonna bring lots of former donors and players back into the fold. That will lead to more networking toward $$$ and hopefully more of the #star players we are infatuated by. He is selling the house in SC and now buying in Gville. IF anyone can see negatives about SOS being connected to the program for the 4th time ( there was another time) then they are just the resident "sky is falling" fans. The one thing about SOS is he does it HIS way. And you have to say it worked out pretty good for us in Gatorville.

Great post, Coach. One might even call them "morons.":lol:

Iam4UF7

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
c671a09f31859f2da11cc20fb6d97b04.jpg

They were at the Matanzas Inlet Restaurant last night having a good time

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics