The list in Scott Stricklin's drawer

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
this season has been impressive, in his fourth season,
Career at UWM: 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, 12-0... 1-1 in bowl games.

Yeah, it took him some time but I think he's got "it". Some do, some don't.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And either Texas caught lightning in a bottle, or in 3 years they will be looking for another coach. But at least the quality of competition has been much higher for Herman than Fleck.
Was presented without comment lol.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it took him some time but I think he's got "it". Some do, some don't.

I don't know yet... not enough data in my opinion... He will make a good P5 coach, but being a good P5 coach, and a top 5 program coach are two different things. I don't see the evidence he is a top 5 program coach yet.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Strong gets my vote. Forget what happened at Texas. The state of Florida, esp South Florida, is a different recruiting environment, and, yeah, his skin color probably has at least something to do with that. Fact is, he kills it in Florida. He's well known to Florida people and he understands the SEC. He'd energize the fan base, hopefully bring in somebody competent to run the offense, put some life back in the program.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about offensive-minded coaches who either aren't offensive-minded or have no clue how to stop people. Strong would be available and I'd take him.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tom Herman has been a HC since 2015.
Yep and those who love Herman also love Fleck.

Here's the difference with Herman, to a degree... he came up through the HS Coaching ranks in Texas, and other lower tier Texas schools, right? He has a major connection. Fleck doesn't have the same.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You're missing one key name....

Kliff Kingsbury. We want O? I got some O right here.

gatorbait1906

Nov 29, 2016
You a 247 or Swamp guy?

Cause 247 guys are chill; Swamp guys - Better be prepared for negativity and bashing cause we dont ban people for that here.

Either way...welcome and get an Avatar; there are no "safe spaces" here so enjoy.

As for your post. Take Strong, Miles, McDaniels, and Kiff off the list and Im good with the rest of the names. Although I'd add Fuente, Franklin, Wittinham, and Peterson

It was on swamp. The whole thread got deleted after the piss poor performance. Don't mind the heat or negativity, I can take it unlike our current head coach.

gatorbait1906

Nov 29, 2016
This is a sad, list...

PJ Fleck, not enough P5 experience
Les Miles, 1950's offensive style, better suited for the Big 10
Chip Kelly, Not leaving the NFL
Dan Mullen, really? With a qb that could be rookie of the year couldn't do great things
Petrino, Louisville buyout, and lack of defense
Strong.... see Texas
Kiffen... See Tennessee, Oakland, and USC
McDaniels, NFL guy...

So who is on your list then?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would put Kiffin #1 on the list. He has put up wih Satan for 3 years and has humbled himself. He wants nothing more than to kick Saban's / UT's ASS. He can recruit.
Id rather just dissolve te UAA and level the stadium.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome 1906 to the melting pot of Gator opinions. Despite the crossfire being heavy at times, it's always in the name of
Operation Gator Win.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I posted this yesterday (it's a cut and paste). We need to be realistic about the hire. We're very likely not luring a proven commodity from a P5 program....

Like I posted earlier, (imo) a REALISTIC hire is Bryan Harsin at Boise (although he is a former Boise player and was born in Boise, so pulling him could be hard). But his track record is super impressive (61-5 as the OC at Boise, 7-5 in one year at Arkansas State, and 31-8 in 3 years a BSU).

Others to consider:

Matt Rhule at Temple (27-23 overall, but 10-4 and 9-3 this year...likely a 10th win coming).

Neil Brown at Troy (13-10 overall, former UK coach and player) - I'd prefer a coach w/ more experience but his offense is great (not above average, but great).

Phillip Montgomery at Tulsa (15-10, another great offensive coach) - again, would prefer more experience.

Jeff Brohm at Western Kentucky (29-10, former Petrino assistant).

Larry Fedora.

Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State (31-18, led them from 1AA to D1).

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I posted this yesterday (it's a cut and paste). We need to be realistic about the hire. We're very likely not luring a proven commodity from a P5 program....

Like I posted earlier, (imo) a REALISTIC hire is Bryan Harsin at Boise (although he is a former Boise player and was born in Boise, so pulling him could be hard). But his track record is super impressive (61-5 as the OC at Boise, 7-5 in one year at Arkansas State, and 31-8 in 3 years a BSU).

Others to consider:

Matt Rhule at Temple (27-23 overall, but 10-4 and 9-3 this year...likely a 10th win coming).

Neil Brown at Troy (13-10 overall, former UK coach and player) - I'd prefer a coach w/ more experience but his offense is great (not above average, but great).

Phillip Montgomery at Tulsa (15-10, another great offensive coach) - again, would prefer more experience.

Jeff Brohm at Western Kentucky (29-10, former Petrino assistant).

Larry Fedora.

Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State (31-18, led them from 1AA to D1).

Out of those give me Montgomery

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Miles/Kiffin 2017. They can recruit and the combo could beat Saban. You don't know if you don't ask.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Out of those give me Montgomery

My first choice would be Harsin. I'd have to do more research on the others to give a educated opinion right now. Montgomery has definitely done a solid job there.

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
The more research I do on Fleck, the more I am blown away by him. The whole zero Power 5 exp thing is worrisome, but Im thinking you have to take a chance for this guy. He's that good.

Id love Charlie Strong too, but only if he brought with him his O coordinator he had this year at Texas. Charlie would absolutely own the recruiting trail for us from day 1...

Bryan Harsin is a name Id love as well. Guy can flat out coach. After those three, I guess maybe Mullen. I think he'd do good here and have a much more exciting O. And dare I say Lane Kiffin? Although his maturity level will always be an unknown. But my god can he recruit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.