The list in Scott Stricklin's drawer

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, pointing on the similarities. We complain about the pedigree of one to hire a guy with the same pedigree?

Got you. That is what I was doing also. Just misunderstood yours

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Fedora and Harsin would be my top 2 guys. I'd love Petrino as well, but it isn't going to happen.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Fedora just finished losing to his two big in-state rivals, Duke and NC State, both of which are lesser talented teams. Carolina fans would probably pay all his moving expenses to make his way to Gainesville.
They care about football up in Chapel Hill?:dunno:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
this season has been impressive, in his fourth season,
Career at UWM: 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, 12-0... 1-1 in bowl games.

Fleck as the HC and strong as DC would be my ideal hire.

I've posted this before = sorry for this redundancy.
Fleck was installed as WMU's HC a few weeks before NS-day and he immediately canceled all prior offered
Schollys. That's a tough, strict, gutsy HC-CEO guy. So the players he got must have been the dregs-recruits.
That's the team that went 1-11, but his next recruiting class was #1 in his conference -- the first ever #1 class
for WMU in the MAC. Since then, Fleck has had the #1 recruit class in the MAC for 3 straight years.

It is true that to jump on hiring now would be a big blindish gamble. However, how about Stricklin doing his
activated HC research for the years that Mac will probably hang on to us = watching Fleck (& other young
prospects) for offer in 2-3 years ? We need to avoid this "business as usual" MO of "pig in a poke" choosing.
Surely there can be some "Sabanistic-sneaky-way" to apprise a prospective employee of UF's interest in his
interest.?? ... Like send out an innocent survey list, excluding the name of the coach whose advice we're asking: "Please rate 1-10 the listed coaches you think would
be a good fit for HC at UF." {at the bottom, of course, have a blank line for a write-in candidate} :D

Last edited:

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
No to Fedora, I live in ACC country and my family are huge Heel fans. Went to the UNC vs NCSU game last Friday. Fedora is not a very good in game coach. Made severAL "wtf" decisions. They have a NFL rb in hood who is rarely used in the red zone and in general. lots of Heel fans are getting fed up, I don't think they would miss Fedora too much.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So Fedora would throw his hat into the ring?

Schwifty

Sep 4, 2016
I threw some shade at this name when he was mentioned the other day but I'm changing my stance a little. Willie taggarts overall record isnt great but if you look into it on a yearly basis, his teams got better every year. He's already been recruiting the state. His offense has been lighting up the score board. If I'm the ad here, I would atleast give him a look and see what his plan would be as far as filling out his staff. He might would be a good fit here?

And I wasn't even serious when I mentioned him in the chatbox, was just pointing out he has USF playing at a higher level than UF on offense these days (USF's defense is hot garbage though). Don't actually think he'd be a great fit at UF, but he's really done a great job at putting out the Skip Holtz dumpster fire and I also like the fact that he's been called classless by UCF and ECU this year for RUTS (I'm a secondary USF alum so I like where he is right now lol)

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If you have been really really good then when you have to get a new coach you are not going to give the new coach much rope. But after years of mediocrity, mediocrity sets in and becomes the new normal. Then you are not so quick to fire your coach because you,
( "you" meaning the Administration and not the fans) think you are doing pretty good. 9-3 or 8-4 ain't going to cut it at Bama, but if you go 6-6 at Vandy every year you can coast for like 10 years. 9-3 or 8-4 is becoming, or already has become, the new standard in Gainesville.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
The more research I do on Fleck, the more I am blown away by him. The whole zero Power 5 exp thing is worrisome, but Im thinking you have to take a chance for this guy. He's that good.

Id love Charlie Strong too, but only if he brought with him his O coordinator he had this year at Texas. Charlie would absolutely own the recruiting trail for us from day 1...

Bryan Harsin is a name Id love as well. Guy can flat out coach. After those three, I guess maybe Mullen. I think he'd do good here and have a much more exciting O. And dare I say Lane Kiffin? Although his maturity level will always be an unknown. But my god can he recruit.
I'd have many way above strong. Normally a failed Texas coach is an instant no even as a 10th back up option, but I think Charlie would do really well here. It maybe a strange circumstance. He would have to take a low salary, low buyout, and come with a great OC.

Not sure why it's near impossible to build good defenses in the big 12. Stoops was also a big time DC here at florida yet went to the big 12 and his defenses struggled greatly and he wins mainly from offense. Muschamps defense wasn't that good in Texas as well.

Strong would get us elite talent on offense and defense. The defense would be great and as long as he had the right hire the offense would be easy to make into a monster with the talent he would bring in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator