The list in Scott Stricklin's drawer

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I threw some shade at this name when he was mentioned the other day but I'm changing my stance a little. Willie taggarts overall record isnt great but if you look into it on a yearly basis, his teams got better every year. He's already been recruiting the state. His offense has been lighting up the score board. If I'm the ad here, I would atleast give him a look and see what his plan would be as far as filling out his staff. He might would be a good fit here?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I posted this yesterday (it's a cut and paste). We need to be realistic about the hire. We're very likely not luring a proven commodity from a P5 program....

Like I posted earlier, (imo) a REALISTIC hire is Bryan Harsin at Boise (although he is a former Boise player and was born in Boise, so pulling him could be hard). But his track record is super impressive (61-5 as the OC at Boise, 7-5 in one year at Arkansas State, and 31-8 in 3 years a BSU).

Others to consider:

Matt Rhule at Temple (27-23 overall, but 10-4 and 9-3 this year...likely a 10th win coming).

Neil Brown at Troy (13-10 overall, former UK coach and player) - I'd prefer a coach w/ more experience but his offense is great (not above average, but great).

Phillip Montgomery at Tulsa (15-10, another great offensive coach) - again, would prefer more experience.

Jeff Brohm at Western Kentucky (29-10, former Petrino assistant).

Larry Fedora.

Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State (31-18, led them from 1AA to D1).

Harsin - excellent coach
Rhule - good coach, don't know if he would be a top 5 program coach.. but he is going to upgrade soon
Brown - experience
Montgomery - experience, and want to know more about him
Brohm - former petrino coach and player good start at a good starter program (need to watch more)
Fedora - with a solid DC and Recruiting coach would be a excellent choice, was a successful OC here
Satterfield - interesting selection, they have a really good organization at App State

gatorbait1906

Nov 29, 2016
The more research I do on Fleck, the more I am blown away by him. The whole zero Power 5 exp thing is worrisome, but Im thinking you have to take a chance for this guy. He's that good.

Id love Charlie Strong too, but only if he brought with him his O coordinator he had this year at Texas. Charlie would absolutely own the recruiting trail for us from day 1...

Bryan Harsin is a name Id love as well. Guy can flat out coach. After those three, I guess maybe Mullen. I think he'd do good here and have a much more exciting O. And dare I say Lane Kiffin? Although his maturity level will always be an unknown. But my god can he recruit.

Fleck as the HC and strong as DC would be my ideal hire.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I threw some shade at this name when he was mentioned the other day but I'm changing my stance a little. Willie taggarts overall record isnt great but if you look into it on a yearly basis, his teams got better every year. He's already been recruiting the state. His offense has been lighting up the score board. If I'm the ad here, I would atleast give him a look and see what his plan would be as far as filling out his staff. He might would be a good fit here?

I like Taggart, but like you said in your last sentence don't know if he would be a fit at UF. He seems to be a good fit at USF. His radio show (the bits I have heard) is quite good and answer questions that would get the PBJ statements from Mac.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be fine trying out someone from BMF's list, though I don't know much about most of them. Fedora is interesting, though while he's doing well, he's not lighting the world on fire at N.C.

#neverKiffen #noMullenthanks #CharlieonlyDC

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna have to throw Chris Peterson from Washington in the race. Probably a long shot but I'd at least call him.

He's not coming, but we should remind him that our colors are Orange and Blue.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
this season has been impressive, in his fourth season,
Career at UWM: 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, 12-0... 1-1 in bowl games.

Yeah, but Mac was 4-6,8-6, 10-2 in 3 years at CSU... so you would have thought he would be better...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but Mac was 4-6,8-4,10-2 in 3 years at CSU... so you would have thought he would be better...

Nope, pointing on the similarities. We complain about the pedigree of one to hire a guy with the same pedigree?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I'd be fine trying out someone from BMF's list, though I don't know much about most of them. Fedora is interesting, though while he's doing well, he's not lighting the world on fire at N.C.

#neverKiffen #noMullenthanks #CharlieonlyDC

Fedora just finished losing to his two big in-state rivals, Duke and NC State, both of which are lesser talented teams. Carolina fans would probably pay all his moving expenses to make his way to Gainesville.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fedora just finished losing to his two big in-state rivals, Duke and NC State, both of which are lesser talented teams. Carolina fans would probably pay all his moving expenses to make his way to Gainesville.

Fedora:
Southern Miss: 7-6,7-6,8-5, 12-2
UNC: 8-4, 7-6, 6-7, 11-3, 8-4 (started their under NCAA probabion for recruiting and academic fraud)...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm gonna have to throw Chris Peterson from Washington in the race. Probably a long shot but I'd at least call him.

Dude, you might as well mention Urban and Saban. Peterson is simply not a realistic hire....at all. I get it though, he's a very good coach.

The problem w/ these proven P5 coaches is they all have big buyouts and most of them are probably happy where they are. Other than the 2 coaches that left Wisconsin (Anderson to Oregon State and Bielema to Arkansas) you don't see too many coaches go from P5 to P5 unless it's a Franklin from a Vandy to Penn State. The way the contracts are written, it's hard for these coaches to jump like that. Sarkisian and Kiffin both left good jobs for USC, but they had strong ties there. Peterson has ZERO ties to UF or the east coast.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like Taggart, but like you said in your last sentence don't know if he would be a fit at UF. He seems to be a good fit at USF. His radio show (the bits I have heard) is quite good and answer questions that would get the PBJ statements from Mac.
He ran up the score against ucf in Spurrier type of way the other day. That stepping on the throat mentality stood out to me.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fedora as HC and Strong as DC would be a safe hire and more importantly would bring the talent back to Gainesville either for them to get us back on top, or for the next staff after them if they fail.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He ran up the score against ucf in Spurrier type of way the other day. That stepping on the throat mentality stood out to me.

The offense is dynamic and fun to watch, a strong DC would need to come in with him. Took a bit to get the wheels going due to the lack of qb and other position due to the previous staff. Taggart is engaging at least listening to his show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.