Updated coaching candidates

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are no realistic (Chip Kelly and Jim Harbaugh are NOT coming here) candidates that really, truly excite me. There are no Urban Meyers circa 2004 or Brian Kelly (whenever ND hired him) - no incredibly obvious choices out there.

Don't get me wrong, most of the names being bandied about will be big improvements over where we are - but there are no "aha!" choices out there. Kinda frustrating.

Though it is a tremendous relief that new leadership is coming.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n107037 said:
Stoops the #1 target. Him coming here, maybe even bringing in Kerwin as his OC would be a good scenario.

Stoops has appeal on several levels and apparently might be attainable - but what about his well-documented big game issues and that he would be leaving OU at the nadir of his tenure there?

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Just talked to a prominent alum in AZ that's good friends with Tebow and he says the deal is already done for Jim Tressel to be the next head coach.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n107070 said:
Just talked to a prominent alum in AZ that's good friends with Tebow and he says the deal is already done for Jim Tressel to be the next head coach.

Great news!:thumbup:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n107070 said:

That's funny right there.....

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can just see you dressed out for gameday
images

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n107070 said:

glxrZ.jpg

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I think gets blown out of proportion is you guys saying there should be no ojt at Florida. I don't think Will muschamp failed because of lack of experience. He failed because his over all philosophy. It was garbage and very unappealing to recruits on the offensive side of the ball. So I'm not going to be closed minded to hiring a top flight offensive coordinator if we can't get a big name guy. I'd rather do that than hire a coach who's already failed or has a record about as good as muschamps.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n107070 said:

Glad to see your sense of humor remains intact, :lol:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think we need somebody with HC experience. I'm hearing Chad Morris who doesn't have that experience and Jim McElwain
Colorado State Rams football, Head coach who does have it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n107111 said:
I think we need somebody with HC experience. I'm hearing Chad Morris who doesn't have that experience and Jim McElwain
Colorado State Rams football, Head coach who does have it.

But I look at what they do. Mclwain is another ground and pound guy. Morris is a spread uptempo guy and probably brings Ray Ray mcloud and deion cain with him. I'll be supportive of either one btw

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I would throw Tommy Turberville and Petrino's
names in a pot of good offensive
minds. Petrine does lots with very little. He does know how to develope
and groom QBs.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n107099 said:
One thing I think gets blown out of proportion is you guys saying there should be no ojt at Florida. I don't think Will muschamp failed because of lack of experience. He failed because his over all philosophy. It was garbage and very unappealing to recruits on the offensive side of the ball. So I'm not going to be closed minded to hiring a top flight offensive coordinator if we can't get a big name guy. I'd rather do that than hire a coach who's already failed or has a record about as good as muschamps.

If Muschamp had previous experience then we would have known what kind of coach he would be. You think Foley would have hired his ass if he looked at 4 years of this garbage as Muschamp's resume? That is why you need a coach with prior experience. You don't know what kind of head coach they will really be otherwise.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n107125 said:
If Muschamp had previous experience then we would have known what kind of coach he would be. You think Foley would have hired his ass if he looked at 4 years of this garbage as Muschamp's resume? That is why you need a coach with prior experience. You don't know what kind of head coach they will really be otherwise.

That's a fair point. But I'd rather gamble than hire a guy we already know is mediocre

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Foley knows he better make a good pick or it will be his last one.
You can bet the check book will be opened wide. This pick better
know how to score points.

Our recruiting is suffering a bit so he's going to have to be able to do it
without a bunch of five star recruits. The main line on his resume
better be HIGH SCORING. That will reduce the list quickly.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n107121 said:
But I look at what they do. Mclwain is another ground and pound guy. Morris is a spread uptempo guy and probably brings Ray Ray mcloud and deion cain with him. I'll be supportive of either one btw

McElwain's team is 13th in the country in passing offense at 314 ypg.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
KCgator;n107070 said:
Copied from Wikipedia - "As Ohio State's head coach, Tressel was known for a conservative style of play calling (dubbed 'Tresselball'), winning games with just enough scoring, strong defense, and 'playing field position.'[SUP][19][/SUP] Tressel often referred to the punt as the most important play in football.[SUP][20]"[/SUP]

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n107143 said:
McElwain's team is 13th in the country in passing offense at 314 ypg.
He has a $7 million buyout.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n107145 said:
He has a $7 million buyout.

That was if he quit at the beginning of this season. It will drop by a minimum of 1.5M by the end of this one. Also, he'd be way cheaper than most of the other names being thrown around. It's not like he's already making 4 or 5 mil.

His team is also 3rd in passing efficiency. Unfortunately only 83rd in TOP ;)

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the Top 5 are as follow in no particular order...
Jim McElwain - HC Colorado State
Chad Morris - OC Clemson
Lane Kiffin
Dan Mullen
Rich Rod.

I don't think Dan makes the move and I think Rich Rod listens and uses as leverage for a pay increase.

I like McElwain. I'd also be open to Doc Holliday and Lance Leipold. Although I love the thoughts of Stoops or Patterson, I just see them as a pipe dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator