Updated coaching candidates

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dungy would be a moral 180 degree turn from that steaming pile in Tallacrappy. He could recruit as well, and be smart enough to not meddle in the offense.

Gruden is nuts, but offensively nuts, we'd win a lot of games 40-30.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
TallyGator;n107606 said:
This means Stoops or McElwain. Based on circumstances, I am leaning towards Stoops for name recognition, track record, and credibility with recruits. I also like Patterson...really done well at the juggernaut TCU (most people don't even know where it is).

Why would Patterson leave? He's got a good thing going here (I live in DFW area), they pay him nearly $4 million a year. There is never going to be any serious pressure on his job. No experience with the SEC, as far as I know. He is a defensive guy ( I think) and part of their success in offense is a new offensive coordinator.

Seems to me if he were going to leave, he would have jumped already. Why leave a good think to jump into the pressure cooker for another 1 to 2 million per year?

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Man, if he was 15, hell, even 10 years younger. Maybe the best coaching talent we've ever had, including the Old Ball Coach. Just read through his wiki report. He could even bring Bell in as OC and groom him to take over, Alas I think the the sun is setting for Galen. Man did he get screwed.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
L-boy;n107632 said:
Why would Patterson leave? He's got a good thing going here (I live in DFW area), they pay him nearly $4 million a year. There is never going to be any serious pressure on his job. No experience with the SEC, as far as I know. He is a defensive guy ( I think) and part of their success in offense is a new offensive coordinator.

Seems to me if he were going to leave, he would have jumped already. Why leave a good think to jump into the pressure cooker for another 1 to 2 million per year?

Give me his new offensive coordinator.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n107657 said:
Yes, but think about how angry it would make TN when we play an away game when he runs out of their tunnel.

Yes, but think how angry it would make our own fans.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Gatoravatara;n107657 said:
Yes, but think about how angry it would make TN when we play an away game when he runs out of their tunnel.

I think that's half the reason that Saban hired him. :chuckle:

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n107666 said:
Yes, but think how angry it would make our own fans.

That anger would last until he racked-up 600+ yards and dropped 50-something on our first SEC opponent. Look, I'd be shocked if it were Kiffin, and I think we'd be on our 6th or 7th candidate before he were even considered. But he would be a massive upgrade immediately to our offensive production. The thing that I do find interesting is that many seem to dismiss Kiffin out of hand but seem more open to Petrino. Those two are very similar candidates in my opinion, with one being much younger than the other.

At any rate, it won't be either, because it's Bob Stoops.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The best thing about Gruden or Dungy, they would be a CEO type of coach. They could come in with our current coaches and win big.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n107690 said:
The best thing about Gruden or Dungy, they would be a CEO type of coach. They could come in with our current coaches and win big.

Why do we want to keep our current coaches?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n107693 said:
Why do we want to keep our current coaches?

I believe the theory is they're good coaches who've had their hands tied behind their backs by an overzealous ultraconservative idiot. But I could be wrong. :dunno:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n107696 said:
I believe the theory is they're good coaches who've had their hands tied behind their backs by an overzealous ultraconservative idiot. But I could be wrong. :dunno:

This may be true, but how often does this actually happen? It's mostly a thorough house cleaning.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Don't understand the props for Kiffin. When he faces teams with similar LOS athletes he struggles. With a stable of RBs, a NFL Wr, physically gifted TE and the top O-line recruits in the country we scored twice as many points in regulation against LSU. He does less with more.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n107705 said:
Don't understand the props for Kiffin. When he faces teams with similar LOS athletes he struggles. With a stable of RBs, a NFL Wr, physically gifted TE and the top O-line recruits in the country we scored twice as many points in regulation against LSU. He does less with more.
That's being kind.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The Original DC;n107543 said:
I also remember the championships. That chart never made sense to me. Don't all teams with great players rely on those great players? It would be like someone criticizing the Broncos because they let Peyton pass too much, or criticizing Bama when it was Richardson and Ingram to the right and left, and up the middle constantly. When you're winning, and you're using players with generational greatness, yes, you use them predominantly. How is it that UF got criticized for that? Those terrible Patriot teams, always having Tom Brady throw the football! We were on top of the college football world from 2006-2009 and Mullen was right in the middle of it. And now, he's got Mississippi Sorry Ass State on top of the college football world. As some point you gotta give the man his due.
So are you saying we won Championships because of Mullen? Or because of those players? Or maybe it was the head coach? As the QB's coach are you giving Mullen credit for Bowling Green's and Utah's success while he was there?

The only success Mullen has had was when he had Tebow as his QB. And now he has Tebow v2.0. So the way I look at it Mullen ain't going to be successful with Treon Harris or Will Grien at the helm. Only when he catches lightning with a Tebow clone.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n107698 said:
This may be true, but how often does this actually happen? It's mostly a thorough house cleaning.

They usually keep 2-3 coaches. I could see Summers and Lawling retained. Maybe T-Rob.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n107764 said:
They usually keep 2-3 coaches. I could see Summers and Lawling retained. Maybe T-Rob.

I've been reading some of Abolverdi's recruiting updates on Twitter and those three coaches seem to be the ones the really big fish recruits are hoping to see retained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.