Van Jefferson eligibility

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/van-jefferson-eligibility-rule-change
New SEC rule grants former Ole Miss WR Van Jefferson immediate eligibility at Florida

"Florida wide receiver Van Jefferson will be granted immediate eligibility thanks to a conference rule change made during the SEC spring meetings this week."

Wow! Awesome! So I guess we're just skipping around the NCAA having any say-so in this matter. Fantastic reporting. Fabulous.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
New SEC rule grants former Ole Miss WR Van Jefferson immediate eligibility at Florida

"Florida wide receiver Van Jefferson will be granted immediate eligibility thanks to a conference rule change made during the SEC spring meetings this week."

Wow! Awesome! So I guess we're just skipping around the NCAA having any say-so in this matter. Fantastic reporting. Fabulous.
Their not circumventing the NCAA. Remember, Shea Patterson, among others, have already been cleared by the NCAA. There was an SEC rule in place that essentially forbade immediate eligibility when transferring within the conference. Hence, the hold up with Jefferson and not the others.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Their not circumventing the NCAA. Remember, Shea Patterson, among others, have already been cleared by the NCAA. There was an SEC rule in place that essentially forbade immediate eligibility when transferring within the conference. Hence, the hold up with Jefferson and not the others.

Thanks, the SEC part is great but still we wait. I was really trying to slam the reporters shoddy article which makes it sound like he can play this fall but in fact the NCAA hasn't ruled yet so as of now he is still ineligible.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

that's the kind of sloppy stupidity you expect these days from journalists.

II wonde if one of them will eventually have the balls to ask when we're going to file the NCAA petition.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not going to stop Jefferson from practicing. Not worried that he will play. NCAA is a layup approval as the "have" programs like Bama and the "probation" programs like Ole Miss (that would be against approval) are seriously out voted. Saban has more influence in the SEC and lost there.
You're so clueless. This isn't a membership vote at the NCAA.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
a quick scan reveals very little being said about Grimes's eligibility at this time. just have to wait. again.
Yeah I'm sure they'll get around to Grimes NCAA appeal shortly after they get around the Van Jeffersons. maybe October or something. Government workers take the summer off.

Actually, I'm not even sure they're going to try with Grimes.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I'm sure they'll get around to Grimes NCAA appeal shortly after they get around the Van Jeffersons. maybe October or something. Government workers take the summer off.

Actually, I'm not even sure they're going to try with Grimes.

The NCAA doesn't give a damn about SEC rules. They follow their rules and let the SEC worry about their own.

This was simply government attorney laziness. It should be done today.

And yet they havent even FILED yet.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
It was actually a bit of good lawyering this time. Jefferson not being cleared to play yet by the NCAA could only HELP us in regard to the vote today at the SEC meeting.

He will now be cleared by the NCAA in short order since they have already approved 5 other underclassmen transfers from Ole Miss.

I'm sure you won't agree with this, but it is true.

Let's Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was actually a bit of good lawyering this time. Jefferson not being cleared to play yet by the NCAA could only HELP us in regard to the vote today at the SEC meeting.
No offense but you dont know a thing about "lawyering".

Is it likely we dont have to fight much bc we let everyone else do the work, but believing the NCAA will work especially quickly on our petition just bc we want them to is silly. They move at their own pace. Just like they did with Floyds. Screwed around for eight months, finally filed a petition late and cost him several games for a de minimus problem.

You sound a bit like PDS trying to argue that you cant write restrictive covenants in a coaches contracts..... then falling back on the reason w landed such excellent coaches is bc we arent mean to coaches like all those other schools.

Just more in decades of history of terrible decisions by the attorneys for our AD office.

Last edited:

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015

This is great news for us. With him being able to play immediately our Wr core should be pretty strong. If we can get better oline play our offense should be noticeably better.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This is great news for us. With him being able to play immediately our Wr core should be pretty strong. If we can get better oline play our offense should be noticeably better.

Agree. He improves that position group a ton. He’s a great complement to Cleveland & Toney. I’m much more comfortable with Hammond, Swain and Massey as back-ups. Copeland & Green will have to earn their shots at playing time. If Grimes is cleared to play it gets even better.

Those two are usually overlooked when we talk about 2018 recruiting. Add them and Mullen clearly had the best transition class.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I’m glad the SEC allowed the rule change cause Bama most definitely has the most to lose and I suspect UGA will soon also be in the same boat.

Oops, I just realized it only pertains to schools facing sanctions. Bama will never face sanctions as they have been deemed too big to fail by the NCAA.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And yet..... we still havent filed a petition w NCAA.

Boss volunteered. Is anyone else available to help w a petition? I guess we just have to do this ourselves.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And yet..... we still havent filed a petitio w NCAA.

Boss volunteered. Is anyone else available to help w a petition? I guess we just have to do this ourselves.
You have my okay to move forward.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, anyone think we will EVER get around to FILING an appeal for Van Jefferson?

I know it is summer and academia like to take most of the summer off, but we are rapidly running out of time here. And that is if everything goes smoothly.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hey, anyone think we will EVER get around to FILING an appeal for Van Jefferson?

I know it is summer and academia like to take most of the summer off, but we are rapidly running out of time here. And that is if everything goes smoothly.
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.