• Fall down

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp gave me a dislike in this thread, I'm not sure he caught my sarcasm. I should have just went down to avoid a dislike. Lol

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I think that the coaching handbook says to drop at the 1, and use another down or two to drain the clock then score. That being said, this team needed the score for morale purposes. It's also hard for a kid to not score with wide open spaces. No harm no foul IMO.

The coaching handbook DEFINITELY DOES NOT say drop at the one and then use a down or two to drain the clock and then go for the score. That's the worst of the 3 options...that's even worse than taking a knee at the one and then going into the V formation. The last thing you want to have happen is a fumble trying to score that gets scooped and returned the other way for a TD or just scooped and then give the opponent the chance to heave Hail Marys, especially when you could have scored a sure thing on the original run that got you to the one yard line. Scoring the TD was, and always will be, the correct option in that situation.

Last edited:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
And literally every single time that has happened, they have been trying to run a play. They were not in the victory formation just kneeling on the ball. Because that's never happened. But I'll give you the same opportunity I gave donkey and let you show me one time that it happened and prove me wrong.
OSU vs Troy. Troy missed a chip shot FG to tie the game.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think that the coaching handbook says to drop at the 1, and use another down or two to drain the clock then score. That being said, this team needed the score for morale purposes. It's also hard for a kid to not score with wide open spaces. No harm no foul IMO.
The crowd and TV audience needed the score too. If we were leading by 2 scores already ... maybe I could see dropping just from a sportsmanship perspective (unless it's the bootlickers)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys think that long before I said that nobody has ever recovered a V formation fumble and scored that I didn't research it? I've already mentioned the OSU game as the one time I can ever remember a V formation fumble being recovered by the other team. The question was when has the other team ever won the game. So one fumble in all those instances, and precisely zero comeback wins.

Also, I have already mentioned several times that I wouldn't expect Davis to not score in that situation. There are two different arguments. One is what would you realistically expect a guy to do. The other is a statistical analysis of win probability. Even though the latter points to going down in play and running out the clock, everybody including myself is happy we scored a touchdown.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The coaching handbook DEFINITELY DOES NOT say drop at the one and then use a down or two to drain the clock and then score. That's the worst of the 3 options...that's even worse than taking a knee at the one and then going into the V formation. The last thing you want to have happen is a fumble trying to score that gets scooped and returned the other way for a TD or just scooped and then give the opponent the chance to heave Hail Marys, especially when you could have scored a sure thing on the original run that got you to the one yard line. Scoring the TD was, and always will be, the correct option in that situation.
Not saying I agree with it at all. I've seen NFL teams do it before. If it were me I'd be aggressive always. My thoughts are it's the other teams job to stop you. If they can't oh well.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Do you guys think that long before I said that nobody has ever recovered a V formation fumble and scored that I didn't research it? I've already mentioned the OSU game as the one time I can ever remember a V formation fumble being recovered by the other team. The question was when has the other team ever won the game. So one fumble in all those instances, and precisely zero comeback wins.

Also, I have already mentioned several times that I wouldn't expect Davis to not score in that situation. There are two different arguments. One is what would you realistically expect a guy to do. The other is a statistical analysis of win probability. Even though the latter points to going down in play and running out the clock, everybody including myself is happy we scored a touchdown.
I can see the first time that it does happen, happening to us in our current play not to lose mentality. I see prevent defenses lose games all the time, but statistically speaking, it shouldn't.

video-n-m-team-loses-after-opponent-steals-snap-on-victory-formation-play-in-final-seconds

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Not saying I agree with it at all. I've seen NFL teams do it before. If it were me I'd be aggressive always. My thoughts are it's the other teams job to stop you. If they can't oh well.

Of course it's the other team's job to stop you but that's not my point at all. The TD after falling down at the one isn't guaranteed and there is plenty that can go wrong on the following play(s) if you're trying to score thereafter (like the fumble I referenced). You're better off taking the easy points when you're running free into the end zone on the original play.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it's the other team's job to stop you but that's not my point at all. The TD after falling down at the one isn't guaranteed and there is plenty that can go wrong on the following play(s) if you're trying to score thereafter (like the fumble I referenced). You're better off taking the easy points when you're running free into the end zone on the original play.

I agree.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When I see our team executing a basic offense and ST like a prof football team, I will give consideration to this example. Until then, I think it's apples to oranges.

You're emotional, subjective opinion is noted. I'll just continue believing in math.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE="Zambo, post: 583905, member: 82". ]I'll just continue believing in math.[/QUOTE]
Again, show me your math.

You keep babbling about math and stats.

Quarterbacks fumble the snap x %.
Defense recovers x%
Hail Marys complete X%
On side kicks successful x%
2nd hail mary x%

Show me this math you believe in.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Trust me when I say he'll fail to grasp what you're trying to say (or just won't be man enough to admit that you are right). Some of us get it and agree that scoring the TD was the right move.

I can see the first time that it does happen, happening to us in our current play not to lose mentality. I see prevent defenses lose games all the time, but statistically speaking, it shouldn't.

video-n-m-team-loses-after-opponent-steals-snap-on-victory-formation-play-in-final-seconds

Told ya he wouldn't grasp it or admit he's wrong.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm not going back and reading this whole embarrassment of a thread, but I see there's actually 5 votes for "going down". I'm assuming we've got 5 posters that English isn't their first language or either they didn't understand the question because there's zero ****ing reasons to not score there. You always go up by 2 scores.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
He has gone full Crete in this thread.

I love how he just makes up the odds of muffing the snap in V formation which leads to a TD and the odds of converting a Hail Mary TD, an onside kick recovery and another Hail Mary TD pass in one minute 38 seconds and proclaims with finality that it's easier to pull off the latter than the former. Delusional, but somewhat funny nonetheless. :lmao2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.