Where are 5 star players?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Read the email string and you will see comments about Mac coming in late, etc. have hurt his efforts not to mention the long line of apologists that continue to ignore the obvious.
Does every post need to be challenged by you or is today a bad day?

You quoted a post that was critical of Mac's recruiting. Then bitched about apologists. If you get all whiny about people pointing out your bad arguments/quoting abilities, maybe message boards aren't for you.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would also like to note that Georgia has a shcit offense and they're having zero problems recruiting.

I would say that Kirby is following Richt who put players in the NFL and had a more functional offense than we have seen in 8 years. Give Kirby 3 more Muschamp type years, lets revisit the same question. I think UGA will probably pull the trigger on Kirby before then though, which is what we should have done to Chump after 2013.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
No matter how you look at it it is depressing. The recruiting landscape has changed. Recruits don't stay home like they once did. The state no longer has the lock on recruits like it once did. Bama has a machine rolling. Clemson has become a player. We currently sit 11th in star avg and 17th in points. But there are no excuses this year. Either finish strong or totally revamp how we are recruiting. Mac has to be held accountable and will owe an explanation as to is plan of action to correct it. Better recruiting assistant coaches. More "quality control" coaches. Bowling alley with a koi pond, I don't care, I just want to see a plan.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Well I guess this year will probably determine if he gets a 4th season or not. If we end up with 4 losses again I doubt he survives after next season but hopefully I am wrong on that.
Four losses again?

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the fact that Maryland has as many top FL players committed as we do proves you don't need to win big to get talent, hell Maryland shows you don't even need to win much at all.
Those players are committing because they like the Under Armor uniforms! and all the extras that the relationship with UA provides...

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
You don't have to win, win big, win championships, be a great coach, or even a likeable guy to win on the recruiting trail. There is so much historical evidence to prove this point I don't even understand why people still argue any of them. Muschamp couldn't win a game of tidly winks but he always recruited well. College football is littered with coaches who suck on gameday but always get good talent. You also don't have to be a nice guy; saban is probably the biggest prick in CFB and followed closely by Harbaugh but they kill it on the trail.

Please lets stop pushing the false narrative that you have to win BEFORE big recruits will come, its just nonsense. Does winning help sway them? Yes. Is it a requirement? No. You are either a good recruiter or you are not, some of these other elements can help but you sink or swim on the trail based off your ability to connect and pull in players, not your coaching record, not your schools tradition, or anything else.

Facility upgrades, cool uniforms, sexy school locales... all these things are great and can help but at the end of the day the gross majority of the effort is placed solely on the coaching staff's ability to connect with and persuade guys to come. We have kids leaving the beautiful southeast and all the bikini coeds to go to freaking cold, wet, dreary ohio or freaking freezing, sh*tty Michigan. Let's just be honest about the situation please.

Nailed it! :thumbup:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
From what I've been told (repeatedly) is its not Mac who sucks balls on the trail but rather his assistant's. Guys like Nord,Summers,Shannon,Collins are all terrible recruiters (and it's widely known) but Nord/Summers are also terrible coaches to boot.You can't have that many coaches who are terrible on the trail and expect to reel in elite classes....it's impossible! What will be interesting (from here on out) is to see what Mac does with an AD who will actually open up the wallet and allow him to hire some top notch assistant coaches. Mac needed that when he first came in but instead was hit with budget constraints which forced him to hire a bunch of 3rd rate assistant coaches. I like Mac and hope he succeeds but he was dealt a losing hand right out the gate! Changes are coming to the staff (I know that for a fact) so we'll see what happens. #ChompChomp

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You quoted a post that was critical of Mac's recruiting. Then *****ed about apologists. If you get all whiny about people pointing out your bad arguments/quoting abilities, maybe message boards aren't for you.

I guess I just don't get you.

Yes, I quoted a poster ripping Mac's recruiting and I was agreeing with the poster.
As part of my argument, I was calling out the people that don't seem to see that his recruiting is substandard since they are the ones making excuses. Your comment suggested that I had a problem with people criticizing his recruiting when I was in fact criticizing his recruiting.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Yes, I quoted a poster ripping Mac's recruiting and I was agreeing with the poster.
As part of my argument, I was calling out the people that don't seem to see that his recruiting is substandard since they are the ones making excuses. Your comment suggested that I had a problem with people criticizing his recruiting when I was in fact criticizing his recruiting.

No my comment suggested as people noticed that you quoted someone criticizing recruiting then bitched about apologist, which reading your initial post made no sense. You might want to reread your initial post.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Fallacious expression = If they don't see recruiting deficits, why do they come up excusing what they don't see ??

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From what I've been told (repeatedly) is its not Mac who sucks balls on the trail but rather his assistant's.
We are being optimistic. There is no doubt that it surely isn't a proven fact.

Guys like Nord,Summers,Shannon,Collins are all terrible recruiters (and it's widely known) but Nord/Summers are also terrible coaches to boot.
We have a few other terrible coaches to boot, such as FIUs RBs coach who poses as our WR coach.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No matter how you look at it it is depressing. The recruiting landscape has changed.
The recruiting landscape hasnt changed so much that an idiot like Chimp could land unbalanced but nevertheless top classes, and Butters and Nuss lose players to USF and struggle get blue chippers to even take a phone call.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The old adage, you're only as good as the people you surround yourself with... I tend to agree with the faction leaning toward a revamped assistant coach staff is in order. A few of those guys would be wall flowers at any descent party.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We have a few other terrible coaches to boot, such as FIUs RBs coach who poses as our WR coach.
Other than the WR's causing false starts the unit is coached well. There's folks running wide open all over the place in every game! Don't put Del-rio's sh*tty play on Dixon afterall they can't throw to themselves :lol: Btw...Skipper & Dixon are the best 2 recruiters we have and both have brought in really good players who are producing early.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No my comment suggested as people noticed that you quoted someone criticizing recruiting then *****ed about apologist, which reading your initial post made no sense. You might want to reread your initial post.

Jesus Christ. Do you ever let anything go? There are apologists in this thread and all over a ton of threads. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus Christ. Do you ever let anything go? There are apologists in this thread and all over a ton of threads. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Dougie finds a cause and he's gonna hammer it home...no matter what. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator