Who do you want to replace Mac?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Dude, you're out of your mind. I was there. That was no sand bagging. We had Larry Ochab as our starting quarterback. We sucked period in 1979.

How the game was lost: Tulsa led 10-0 in the third quarter, then followed a UF field goal with an 83-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by Ken Lacy.

What they said: "For the 3,949th time - yes." Charley Pell on if it concerned him the Gators weren't getting the ball to Collinsworth enough."

What they wrote: "Florida played disjointed, disorganized football and will have to break its habit of arm-tackling if it is to win any games this year." - Bill Kastelz, Florida Times-Union.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Notice I gave you a BIG thumbs up on the previous post. I am a fan of this school this program and pretty much this team and coaches till they are different. I aint no ship jumping rat as soon as things look bad...........aint my nature............this fckn place reminds me of 5th graders that all of a sudden cry they want on the other guys team cause his team is losing or the other team cheated or some other nonsense. THEY have to identify with a winner at any cost. Its hard to explain to an ox or other younger fan how much we appreciated SOS and urban. They did quickly what took so long for us to get. What these guys miss is how much you appreciate the winning and publicity and good will. When all you know is SOS and what came after you begin to think it is forever ordained we can be (as far as I can tell) the Bama of the world (and if you read some history it took them a long fckn time to get back after the BEar)...........I want to win. I want to smile at Dogs (have for years) VOles (have for years) and Noles each year cause we play so well. But Im not stupid enough to believe it is easy. It aint easy. Im sure :law: is right about facilities and flash and the newest thing. 18 year olds are easily influenced by that sh#t. Im good with wanting UF to be the best. Im good with much of the noise in here. But make no mistake. You trash my team (meaning all of them involved) I will be here just as angry as you.....................our rivals are good at talking us down. When our "fans" do it expect me to reply.
Again, all you had to say was "0-10-1". :eek:ldman:

We get it. Since the Gators sucked 4 and 5 decades ago, we should just roll with their suckyness now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How the game was lost: Tulsa led 10-0 in the third quarter, then followed a UF field goal with an 83-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by Ken Lacy.

What they said: "For the 3,949th time - yes." Charley Pell on if it concerned him the Gators weren't getting the ball to Collinsworth enough."

What they wrote: "Florida played disjointed, disorganized football and will have to break its habit of arm-tackling if it is to win any games this year." - Bill Kastelz, Florida Times-Union.

We were already on a downward trajectory when Pell arrived. The '78 season at Florida was horrible. We all knew we were bad and getting worse. Talent was the issue. Dickey's recruiting was lackluster his final few years and he NEVER knew how to recruit a decent quarterback. We lacked horses.

Pell's first full year on the recruiting trail yielded Wilber Marshall and Wayne Peace and two other top-rated quarterback recruits. The guy was Sabanesque the way he could recruit, game plan and command respect from his players. The 1984 team was as good as any team we've had here. I am convinced that had he chose not to cheat and stayed, Pell would have won a couple of national titles.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dont remember the Dickey years but that 79 season had my dad cussing up a storm. He was happy as hell in 1980 however. I think I remember the radio people saying in 79 we were struggling going to a new type of offense still.

With Florida's success in recent times I doubt a Dickey winning pattern would last nearly as long as he did.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care about # of wins. I care about the man's ability or lack thereof to win titles. That said I agree with Sofla that this upcoming class combining with others along with the opener next year will largely dictate Mac's fate. Which at the moment doesn't look promising. I'm not a fan of either coordinator , and if I didn't know any better I would think there wasn't a Special Teams coach. Gray who I like needs to stop kissing the corner's asses
in the press. It's backfired badly.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My last post in this thread..........( i can hear the cheers from my desk).
So the new guy after one season and four games needs to go cause we aint hauling in 4/5 stars and we aint elite right now? Cause you know? You can tell? He should have established all the relationships with FLa HS's and athletes by now? I can see you are correct because
Walmart has Christmas stuff up in Sept. Gotta have and have it now..................one last thing.
My feelings about my team and most athletes and coaches can be summed up by this:

THE MAN IN THE ARENA
Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"
delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That said I agree with Sofla that this upcoming class combining with others along with the opener next year will largely dictate Mac's fate. Which at the moment doesn't look promising.
I agree x 2. He is pretty much dead man walking by September 7 unless things really change in a hurry. And February may decide it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So the new guy after one season and four games needs to go cause we aint hauling in 4/5 stars and we aint elite right now? Cause you know? You can tell? He should have established all the relationships with FLa HS's and athletes by now? I can see you are correct because
Walmart has Christmas stuff up in Sept. Gotta have and have it now..................one last thing.
My feelings about my team and most athletes and coaches can be summed up by this:

Don't you just "know" sometimes? In all your years...don't you just KNOW things at a certain point? I haven't seen anything special from Mac since the beginning of last year. He peaked out of the gate. He's gotten blown out in his last four tries against another ranked team. I just don't see "it" from him. Making major overhauls to the staff is just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. We can get all crazy and upset and call each other names but it doesn't change the fact that Mac isn't good enough.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not ready to make the final decision on Mac, but there are red flags starting to pop up.

One key red flag is that he doesn't seem to adjust his offense to fit the players on the field. Last year with Treon he kept trying to use him as a pocket passer instead of putting in some option plays and allowing Treon to use his running ability. I didn't really understand that. I know you don't want to risk getting him hurt, but this is football, you are going to get tackled.

Against UT I am unsure why they didn't use Appleby's running ability more. They did roll him out, but some read option or QB draw type plays may have really worked. On third and one it would have been great to run the option wide. Appleby is a big kid and he can probably fight for that yard on the run if he has to or he pitches it to an RB who hopefully can at least dive for a yard at the corner.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not ready to make the final decision on Mac, but there are red flags starting to pop up.

One key red flag is that he doesn't seem to adjust his offense to fit the players on the field. Last year with Treon he kept trying to use him as a pocket passer instead of putting in some option plays and allowing Treon to use his running ability. I didn't really understand that. I know you don't want to risk getting him hurt, but this is football, you are going to get tackled.

Against UT I am unsure why they didn't use Appleby's running ability more. They did roll him out, but some read option or QB draw type plays may have really worked. On third and one it would have been great to run the option wide. Appleby is a big kid and he can probably fight for that yard on the run if he has to or he pitches it to an RB who hopefully can at least dive for a yard at the corner.

BINGO! The stubbornness of not changing the offense to the strength of Treon last year was pretty much all I needed to know. Mac is a decent mid-major head coach, nothing more. He had success at Bama because he had studs at every position. It's inevitable.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Yes he should. He should hire people who have relationships already. Neither Zook nor Meyer had any issues recruiting from day one. And Zook came from the NFL and Meyer came from Utah. Chump came from Texas.

Look at Michigan. Harbaugh came from the NFL. ZERO Florida connections. And in a year where we really needed linebackers and O-lineman, he took S. Florida linebackers and O lineman from under our nose.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Don't you just "know" sometimes? In all your years...don't you just KNOW things at a certain point? I haven't seen anything special from Mac since the beginning of last year. He peaked out of the gate.
I agree with you but coaching a team is pretty complex.MANY Individuals. In his case, people he didnt recruit with other loyalties. He is a stranger in Fla pretty much with regards to recruiting. Team chemistry. Do the players he inherit fit his offensive scheme? And then meshing a new staff. Its much more complex than me having a feeling about a kid, or a marriage or a myriad of lesser complicated things. And a pox on you as now I had to answer your point and made me lie about being done.

last point here for the post above. The vets are not really his kids His kids are all young...........I say give him a real chance..........

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I agree with you but coaching a team is pretty complex.MANY Individuals. In his case, people he didnt recruit with other loyalties. He is a stranger in Fla pretty much with regards to recruiting. Team chemistry. Do the players he inherit fit his offensive scheme? And then meshing a new staff. Its much more complex than me having a feeling about a kid, or a marriage or a myriad of lesser complicated things. And a pox on you as now I had to answer your point and made me lie about being done.

last point here for the post above. The vets are not really his kids His kids are all young...........I say give him a real chance..........

Do the players he inherit fit his offensive scheme?

No because most if not all of our current playmakers/starters on offense are his recruits; so yes, this is on him.

He is a stranger in Fla pretty much with regards to recruiting.

Two fold answer; if this was true then why was he hired in the first place? You have to be able to recruit Florida to win, period. Secondly, you think he didn't make any connections while at Bama? They recruit Florida regularly and I promise you Mac was here recruiting against us during that time.

And then meshing a new staff.

His job; when a coach is hired it is his duty to assemble the best staff as he can. Mac has clearly failed to do this, rather he has hired "friends."

Individuals. Team Chemistry.

Once again, it is his job/duty to make a point that it's his team and things will be done his way and those who dissent can leave. So far all we have seen is a bunch of undisciplined football both on the field and off, i.e. twitter, etc...

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After year 1 i was pretty happy with Mac...but with recruiting going the way it is and depending on how the rest of the year goes i would take Herman in a second if he's willing to sign but you get that in writing then get rid of Mac. Other than that he gets year 3.
Year 3 is going to be very hard with the schedule and losing practically the entire defense. On paper we should have a better offense but our defense looks to take a big hit. Year 3 has historically been the worst for florida coaches and it's shaping up to be really dicey. I'll actually be surprised if he makes it through

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
After year 1 i was pretty happy with Mac...but with recruiting going the way it is and depending on how the rest of the year goes i would take Herman in a second if he's willing to sign but you get that in writing then get rid of Mac. Other than that he gets year 3.
Year 3 is going to be very hard with the schedule and losing practically the entire defense. On paper we should have a better offense but our defense looks to take a big hit. Year 3 has historically been the worst for florida coaches and it's shaping up to be really dicey. I'll actually be surprised if he makes it through

The way last year ended really was awful. I know we were "happy" to get to ATL but it was fool's gold. We were the tallest midget in the East. It meant nothing. This year we need UT to lose. We might make ATL because UT actually plays a difficult West schedule. Again, ATL will be fool's gold and we'll be stuck with this middling staff. Harbaugh is going to destroy us. I've seen enough from Aw shucks and company to know they ain't "it".

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The way last year ended really was awful. I know we were "happy" to get to ATL but it was fool's gold. We were the tallest midget in the East. It meant nothing. This year we need UT to lose. We'll might make ATL because UT actually plays a difficult West schedule. Again, ATL will be fool's gold and we'll be stuck with this middling staff. Harbaugh is going to destroy us. I've seen enough from Aw shucks and company to know they ain't "it".
That's why i said depending on the year...looks bad now but could go in a multitude of ways. It will be very telling in the next few weeks if these coaches are worth anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.