Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Lets just hope we don't have to worry about a backup unless its for mop up duty. I'm fine with either but feel it will be WG.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Will Grier is the future I'd rather see him get the mop up duty reps myself.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I will say Harris. They'll keep Grier back to put on weight.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxking;n32054 said:
I will say Harris. They'll keep Grier back to put on weight.

Harris weighs 170 lbs.

I LOVE this argument.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J said:
Who will be the backup if Jeff goes down? Will Grier
Who will see the field more if Jeff is healthy? Tre 3
I disagree with this. The reality is that they are going to try to red-shirt one of the two. They can't be playing Tre 3 during the season and have Grier be Jeff's backup and then red-shirt either one. If they pick Grier as backup... I think Tre 3 red-shirts and you don't see him.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
I think Grier will be the official back up, but I think Harris will play as the "second" QB in Roper's system. He likes using 2 QB's to give a change of pace and I think Harris will end up being a wildcat type guy this year, so he might actually play more than Grier... But God forbid, if anything happens to JD I think Grier will takeover the load.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I will say Harris only because I have a feeling. Grier can sling it but he said he wanted to redshirt. Therefore, if Harris is getting better like the practice reports have said, why not let him do it. I hope JD turns it around and does good enough so that this scenario could play out.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906 said:
I will say Harris only because I have a feeling. Grier can sling it but he said he wanted to redshirt. Therefore, if Harris is getting better like the practice reports have said, why not let him do it. I hope JD turns it around and does good enough so that this scenario could play out.
I like that Grier came in with the mindset that he wanted to redshirt. He has time to learn the offense and get stronger, without hurting his confidense.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's telling that Grier had a huge head start on Harris, but still hasn't been able to be the clear number 2. Don't know if Harris is just that good or if Grier just needs a year under his belt, but I think Harris will be the backup and Grier will redshirt. Now if Driskel goes down, I bet that Grier will get an opportunity to win that starting role. I don't think the battle for number 2 (or 1 in the future) will ever be over as long as they are both on roster. It's great having competition like that at QB, but chances are that it won't last after one of them transfers in a year or two.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe that Harris played in either the same or a similar system in HS , so it was probably be that much easier for him to pick it up. Also, and I might be wrong , but I think the players are given cd's with the playbook on them with game film examples to give them a leg up before the report, so he might have been able to bone up that way. It almost seemed like in the beginning that he was having to get used to the difference in speed, but once he got that down it seemed like he settled down performed well.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n33187 said:
It's telling that Grier had a huge head start on Harris, but still hasn't been able to be the clear number 2. Don't know if Harris is just that good or if Grier just needs a year under his belt, but I think Harris will be the backup and Grier will redshirt. Now if Driskel goes down, I bet that Grier will get an opportunity to win that starting role. I don't think the battle for number 2 (or 1 in the future) will ever be over as long as they are both on roster. It's great having competition like that at QB, but chances are that it won't last after one of them transfers in a year or two.

Very telling, excellent point

I would relate this to the quality of the opponents that they each faced in HS. Harris played against some of the powerhouses in HS football so is able to make the transition the next level easier. That is why unless JD goes down Harris will be the backup imo.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n32061 said:
Harris weighs 170 lbs.

I LOVE this argument.
Most sites I've seen show them weighing the roughly the same. There's a big difference in 6'2 and 5'11 at the same weight.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most sites are showing HS numbers. Grier is in the 205 range now.

imgres
florida-gators-spring-practice.jpg

No matter what the exact number is, he's plenty big enough and has a quick release, something that has been sorely missing around here.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n33268 said:
Well if that's true that's a beastly increase since January and would be plenty big.

I don't particularly have a preference on who gets the job but my gut is telling me it's Treon.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorInKnox;n33265 said:
Most sites I've seen show them weighing the roughly the same. There's a big difference in 6'2 and 5'11 at the same weight.

Don't bother Knox, Laws convinced that 1 is a midget and the other is anorexic. We're doomed to fail with either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, Law is convinced that he hasn't seen others actually toss a college pass so I'm not going to get on the bandwagon for one or the other and of course, get mad if the other one plays.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox said:
Law98gator;n33268 said:
Well if that's true that's a beastly increase since January and would be plenty big.

I don't particularly have a preference on who gets the job but my gut is telling me it's Treon.
It wasn't since January. He was putting on weight during his senior year also.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's basically the boat I'm in. I haven't seen either one play so I'm honestly just relying on the opinions of others at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.