Why didn't we hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n91824 said:
Bro's don't high five, they fist bump. :fistbump:

just-hug-it-out.gif

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n91796 said:
So you think it was bad timing. Nothing wrong with that answer. No need to type it in bold letters with red and black colors though...lol.

Oh and it keeps coming up because it seems like we made the wrong choice in hind sight. I know it is easier to see that now vs then but I believe we could have got Strong to come back if we truly wanted to. Foley likes defense minded coaches. Why not get one that was part of the program recently.

I think Muschamp wasn't a good fit ( I know...well...Duhh) He tried to turn us into Alabama and that is not the talent Florida produces. We are about speed and more speed. I think Strong knew this....Muschamp obviously didnt until it was to late. Thanks for your reply.

You don't seem to buy it. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? You started this thread so I'm sure you have an opinion on it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n91820 said:
You are right but Ox is a really smart poster my friend. Sure he was joking but he knows that this topic may get heated as well. He was kind of making fun of what may potentially overtake an otherwise good discussion.
Yes indeed. Hell, we can't get through a Steve Spurrier thread without a certain poster calling him a "Grand Wizard". :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I like Strong as a coach, I don't think we'll truly know how good or bad the decision was not to hire him until we see his end results at Texas. And that probably won't happen for a few more years. He's basically wiping the slate clean there and starting over, and even at a place like Texas, you can't do that overnight.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91857 said:
As much as I like Strong as a coach, I don't think we'll truly know how good or bad the decision was not to hire him until we see his end results at Texas. And that probably won't happen for a few more years. He's basically wiping the slate clean there and starting over, and even at a place like Texas, you can't do that overnight.

I agree. I think he would have done better than Muschamp but that isn't hard to do. The problem with hiring a coach is that Florida is elite. We are one of the top 3 programs in the country. Not only do we want a 'great' coach but we want an elite coach. A coach who can win it all. Only a very small percentage of coaches are capable of this. Strong may be a good to great coach. He certainly did well at Lousiville but can he win it all? Like you said, we'll know in a few years at Texas.

While it sounds childish, I would rather us hire a bad coach that we know sucks than a good coach who we keep long term because we keep waiting for him to win a championship that he mostly never will (ala Mark Richt).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Savannah nails it perfectly. Could've shut the thread down after that. The timing killed us. That being said, I tend to agree with Sasquatch that we don't know how big of a miss it was at this point. I don't follow texas, so I had no idea, but apparently that was a disaster he walked in to. Until he cleans it up, I'm not sure you can really say how great he is or will be. But obviously, he would've been a better hire than Muschamp. I think that much is obvious. I still had him behind Franklin last year though.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91869 said:
Yes, Mayer and Kanye sharing the most awkward bro hug in recorded history.

thats kanye? i thought it was a 12 yr old boy. :bwahaha:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n91866 said:
I agree. I think he would have done better than Muschamp but that isn't hard to do. The problem with hiring a coach is that Florida is elite. We are one of the top 3 programs in the country. Not only do we want a 'great' coach but we want an elite coach. A coach who can win it all. Only a very small percentage of coaches are capable of this. Strong may be a good to great coach. He certainly did well at Lousiville but can he win it all? Like you said, we'll know in a few years at Texas.

While it sounds childish, I would rather us hire a bad coach that we know sucks than a good coach who we keep long term because we keep waiting for him to win a championship that he mostly never will (ala Mark Richt).

He won at Louisville, like a number of coaches. His hardest competition really was who the last couple of years. UCF, USF, etc.. in the AAC Muschamp would be a .500 or better coach with the talent they were able to a mass at Louisville. Petrino turned his time at Louisville into an NFL job.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n91878 said:
thats kanye? i thought it was a 12 yr old boy. :bwahaha:

The hug was a joke, but the gif is gold.

[video=youtube;n_z-shZL1KU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_z-shZL1KU[/video]

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie Strong hired the coach from Miami who was the alleged bag man and strip club chauffeur to be on his staff at Louisville. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think we need that at UF to win. Could be wrong.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Gatoravatara;n91899 said:
Well I'll just come out and say it. Word on the street was that boosters did not like his wife. Official reason was that he did not "interview" well.

what was it about his wife?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.