Why didn't we hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91947 said:
So we're doing to Charlie what Borat's sister did to his brother, Bilo?

[video=youtube;JgOrQg2NXAo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgOrQg2NXAo[/video]

:lol:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91946 said:
KCGator already confirmed that.

Except in KC's version Albert and Alberta were under direct orders from Grand Wizard Spurrier.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n91749 said:
Here we go again. This topic keeps coming up, both here and on other boards. It has NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with Charlie "not being ready" for a HC job, Charlie being African-American, or any other reason, other than timing.

Let's go back a short while in Gator history to Saturday, December 5, 2009. We had just been clobbered by Bama in the SECCG. Evidently, known only to Urban, his wife Shelley, and (I think) AD Foley, Urban had his chest spasms in the stadium after the game, and especially, when he got home. He must have just let it pass, and within days, Charlie was contacted by, and days after that, hired as Louisville's HC. Later in that December, days before our Sugar Bowl match with Cincinnati, Urban decided to "retire." Then he "unretired." So he was still going to coach us into 2010, and Charlie was GONE.

Fast-forward to early December, 2010. Urban decides to leave, for REAL. Charlie has been a HC, but for just one year at Louisville, the team that gave him a chance at HC. He wasn't going to leave them after just one year, and I believe he made that clear. So he was "off the board."

So Charlie had just completed his first year at Louisville when we hired Will. That's it. There's no "conspiracy theory," no "crap about Strong not haveing any head coaching experience," NONE of that. It was all a matter of timing.

I still contend that if Urban KNEW he was quitting on December 6, 2009, and was committed to that, he could have told Foley he was quitting after the Sugar Bowl and to appoint Charlie the HC. But Urban didn't do that.
OK, I'll play. I think there was a guy on the grassy knoll. But the conspiracy did not involve Charlie Strong. You cannot convince me that Foley did not cut a deal with UM. Urban was paid a one million dollar bonus for un-retiring for one year. I think this allowed JF the time to convince WM that Mack Brown was never going to retire.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n91801 said:
Racism doesn't exist. The Holocaust didn't happen. White men have small dicks.

Sounds like you've seen a few

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n91732 said:
Time will tell, but so far Texas is a disaster. I get he's kicked a bunch of kids off, but it's very possible that him no longer having the big time recruiting advantage he had before, it becomes evident he is not a top tier program type coach.

He also insinuated that the reason he didnt get the UF job was b/c of racism... to me that's pretty classless. He got to coach us in a bowl one year as the HC and we got blown out by a sh*tty ACC team. Maybe that could be the reason? I dunno... its just my HO.
That pretty much sums it up. Actually a lot of it minus the racism part sounds like what we have now which is a defensive minded coach that is in over his head at a major program.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n91928 said:
Actually, there is A LOT of truth to that and that's where this whole "Florida didn't want Charlie because of his wife" stuff comes from. It's attributed to Florida but in fact the context was about head coaching jobs in the south. The articles written about Charlie's lack of head coaching job offers, and there were many, were written when he was coaching AT Florida. Why, if he was hired three separate times AT Florida would you think that people at Florida would have a problem with his interracial marriage? And do you think Charlie would keep coming back to Florida if he and his wife were facing discrimination?

This story is constantly told as fact and it's just stupid when you look at it logically and factually. Savannah got it right. It was a timing issue.

You also forgot to mention how following his race-related rejection from UF, he was sought after by the more progressive, bastion of racial equality type schools in Louisville KY and Knoxville Tn, before eventually landing in Texas.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n91956 said:
Except in KC's version Albert and Alberta were under direct orders from Grand Wizard Spurrier.

Honestly all these accusations of racism have to start and end with Foley. Foley has already shown the buck stops with him when it comes to hire a coach. He doesn't care what anyone else thinks. He'll even keep a loser coach simply because he knows better than anyone else.

All that to say, Foley must be the grand Wizard.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
soflagator;n91967 said:
You also forgot to mention how following his race-related rejection from UF, he was sought after by the more progressive, bastion of racial equality type schools in Louisville KY and Knoxville Tn, before eventually landing in Texas.

:hahaha:now thats funny"progressive bastion of racial equality type ky&tenn:clap:

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
G 2;n91968 said:
Honestly all these accusations of racism have to start and end with Foley. Foley has already shown the buck stops with him when it comes to hire a coach. He doesn't care what anyone else thinks. He'll even keep a loser coach simply because he knows better than anyone else.

All that to say, Foley must be the grand Wizard.

must resist this urge!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n91988 said:
From what I heard, they did not want him to be the HEAD coach. Other positions were fine. Witness what happened to Strong when he first was chosen at Texas. One booster said he was only qualified to be a positions coach. It was nice of Louisville to break that barrier. Some people still cringe when they see interracial couples, but times are slowly changing. I think that if the same situation presented itself now at Florida, Foley would go ahead and pull the trigger on it. I remember when the big issue was why arent there any black coaches in the NFL, NBA. Now that issue has completely gone away. Now if a black coach is fired, everybody knows it is not about race. Also, it seems as all the NBA players have white girlfriends or wives.

Can you show me the link where a Texas booster said Strong was qualified to be a positions coach because he was black?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92002 said:
Nobody now a days nobody is going to say I dont want this guy because of his race. I think that might be illegal. Everybody is PC now.

" Red McCombs Bashes Texas hire"

"Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday."

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...bs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

Well then you are right. Florida has a ton of racists as well judging by the number of people who have stated that Muschamp would also be a great position coach/coordinator. Except it must be white people they hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator