WTH? Who starts in the fall?

Who starts in the fall

• Total voters

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Whoever it is it better be decided by the end of spring. We had better have one guy who stands out from this mediocre crew or we're really screwed. If not then I'm guessing Mac will go with LDR because he has game experience and is a known quantity going into a game against a team like Michigan. It would be the safe bet but the short sighted bet.

If its close at all Mac needs to go with the best choice of the RS freshman and just make a change to the other one if they show they are lost with the lights on them. LDR doesn't have the ability to be a decent starter in the SEC.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Butters and Nusschump WILL play LDR if he is healthy until Butters is fired.
I know we have some talent on defense but it's going to take at least half a season to be at their best as a unit...maybe longer. I'm not sure that being 3-5, or 4-4 is totally out of the question next year come late October. I hope not but Mac/Nuss will certainly have a fire under their asses to keep it from coming to that.....I'm thinking they have to take a chance with someone other than LDR to prevent that.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
LDR has great bloodlines, great footwork, great passing motion, knows the offense through and through, on and on; however he lacks one crucial commodity, TALENT. Start one of the redshirt freshmen.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can't believe LDR is even being considered again. That anonymous coach was right that said he didn't have the talent to be a decent starter in SEC games.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Looking at what you know after 2.25 years - Nuss is still the OC. Is Mac a risk taker? Absolutely not. The odds are that LDR probably takes the 1st snap in Dallas. I just can't see Mac & Nuss have a guy make his first start vs Mich on the road in Jerry World.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looking at what you know after 2.25 years - Nuss is still the OC. Is Mac a risk taker? Absolutely not. The odds are that LDR probably takes the 1st snap in Dallas. I just can't see Mac & Nuss have a guy make his first start vs Mich on the road in Jerry World.

But why throw him out there just to throw those weak passes that Michigan will eat up on defense probably. I doubt we run the ball down Michigan's throats to allow LDR to have an easy game where his deficiencies can be hidden. Its a good thing he is missing the Spring so Mac is forced to give the snaps to the RS freshman. By the season opener one of them has to be better than him even if its Trask because Franks cant get straight upstairs.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
But why throw him out there just to throw those weak passes that Michigan will eat up on defense probably. I doubt we run the ball down Michigan's throats to allow LDR to have an easy game where his deficiencies can be hidden. Its a good thing he is missing the Spring so Mac is forced to give the snaps to the RS freshman. By the season opener one of them has to be better than him even if its Trask because Franks cant get straight upstairs.

Question...did you think LDR was better than Appleby? I didn't but our SEC East winning coaches did. I have a hard time believing our coaches will give a kid his first snap in that game. I just don't see it knowing what I know about those two guys.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Question...did you think LDR was better than Appleby? I didn't but our SEC East winning coaches did. I have a hard time believing our coaches will give a kid his first snap in that game. I just don't see it knowing what I know about those two guys.

No I thought Appleby was better even though he had some of the craziest picks I had ever seen with the receivers not fighting for the ball like they should have. LDR just doesnt have the arm strength or touch to sit in the pocket and hit receivers that aren't really wide open.

I think LDR missing the Spring may be just enough for one of them to get their chance. I hope so anyway. It would keep the heat off some if one of them lost that game instead of LDR also since they are young but I know the coaches thinking is an unknown I guess.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
No I thought Appleby was better even though he had some of the craziest picks I had ever seen with the receivers not fighting for the ball like they should have. LDR just doesnt have the arm strength or touch to sit in the pocket and hit receivers that aren't really wide open.

I think LDR missing the Spring may be just enough for one of them to get their chance. I hope so anyway.

Lots of hope going around Gatorland these days. I also thought AA was better. Remember Grier and Treon battling it out. Our QB Whisperer is DEAF.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Similar argument for not lifting a redshirt last year. The time is now, play one or both.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

From the article:
Weaknesses of the Group:

Consistency is lacking for both of the younger players right now. Franks has been erratic with his accuracy in most work we've seen him take part in, often firing high over his targets and struggling most with out routes and anything breaking away from him. Trask, on the other hand, is more consistently accurate but doesn't seem to have quite the same grasp on the playbook or command of the offense as Franks.

Wut? :scratchhead:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Trask ends up third string.

Maybe. Maybe not. Lot of practice left to determine the depth chart.

I'll be thrilled to see Franks, Trask or Toney start. Just give me a young guy we can build around.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think malik zaire will be the starter if the sec changes the rule. That makes me cringe.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Seriously, how in the actual eff can anyone possibly say this?

I'm basing it partly on the spring game. Trask certainly showed a capacity to make better decisions in that brief audition.

However, I live in Gainesville and my job frequently brings me into contact with UAA personnel and athletes. I have had the opportunity to briefly interact with both players. Trask appears to be much sharper than Franks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.